IHSWCA Discussion Board

Coach Peck

The IHSWCA Board is back up.  This is not an advertisement.  I hope that if you are happy here and never want to even look at the iHSWCA Board that you do so. 

I am hoping that the IHSWCA Board will begin to  serve the purpose it was originally intended to serve which was to be a place for High School Coaches to get information, and the IHSWCA to get information out to it's membership.  The Board was never really meant to be a "smack board", or a place for all of the things it ended up being.  It simply morphed into what it was because there was nothing else.  I think we did a good job with it.  I think we would still be doing that job if we would not have been repeatedly hacked, but as I told someone after the first time we were hacked, I feel it might be a blessing in disguise because now we can get our Board back to what it was originally meant for.  Around thirteen years ago I told JD that I thought we needed a website.  He told me to go for it.  I did not know anything about it (and still do not know as much as many of you), but I started working and we had, what I think, was the first real website for an Indiana High School sport.  Some of you want to crack jokes about, and make fun of, the old discussion board.  That is fine, but I am not sure why you feel that you need to do this.  You may feel that you need to belittle anything going on at the other board once it gets back on track.  Again, it is certainly your right to do so, but I am not sure why you need to.   

I like some of the things that Indianmat is doing and hope they continue.  I do not plan to be anything but supportive.  I would be supportive if fifty different informational websites about wreslting popped up around Indiana because it would mean there is interest in a sport I love.  A number of people have complained about the IHSWCA, and I do not have time to address all of those issues at present, but would be glad to at some point, but I can tell you this...without an organization like the IHSWCA (as well as the ISWA) Indiana Wrestling would be nowhere near where it is.  One case in point is the Sectional tournament.  If not for some of the people, that a few of you have belittled, standing up to the IHSAA we would have a Sectional tournament that is one and done.  I have been involved with the IHSWCA for around 30 years, and I was at one of the first meetings ever of the ISWA.  Both of those organizations have come a long way.  I remember when JD Minch took over as Treasurer the outgoing Treasurer gave him a popcorn bag with around fifty bucks in it.  That was the treasury and that was the way the books were kept.  At that time the IHSWCA did nothing, and now it does several things to build wrestling in Indiana although it is not enough for some of you.  Guys like Tom Cameron, JD Minch, John Cook, Tom Miller, and Ed Fox have been great leaders for our organization.  Can our organization get better....I believe it can.  We have some good people running for office this year, and I think any of them can take our organization higher.  People say that they are not involved because no one has asked them.  I guess I would say if it is important enough for you to be involved then no one should have to ask you.  We are wrestlers and I do not think a wrestler has to wait to be asked...I think a wrestler would attack.

Thanks, Rex

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mudflap,

Joe is welcome to take this off of here if he wants to.  I am not sure why he would want to as he has a very nice product which will not be hurt at all by the IHSWCA Board.

Rex Peckinpaugh

(I like it when people I am talking to know my name)

Thanks for years of providing a place for information and even entertainment. I will always appreciate what you have done.

I second that. Though the other site isn't nearly as good as this one, it was a place where we could at least get some good wrestling info. I appreciate that the old site was even started at all, and I REALLY appreciate that this site has become what it has.

The negativity needs to stop!  It is possible for both sites to exist and aid in the information process and be productive for this great sport.  If anything we should be working together.  A great man once said, "a house divided against itself cannot stand".  Why do some people feel obligated to take pot-shots at one another (sounds like insecurity/immaturity to me).  Now that there are two boards (hopefully both can stay up and running) you have a choice as to which place serves you purpose; as long as your purpose is not to bash the other, in that case you don't belong on either site.  Let's use these resources for their intended purpose of promoting our great sport and not damning it.

I may end up hating myself for stating the obvious, buttt...I have never paid a dime to post 3,000+ tidbits of information, complaints, insight, whining, nonsense and stupidity on either of the sites!  So why are we talking about "product" and acting as if there is a competition here?  I believe (as Rex stated) when we are talking about wrestling, the more the merrier! 

I ended up here because one day I clicked dropped by my old friends house (the old site) and found the windows boarded up.....as I strolled down the street lost (aka. Google) looking for where all my friends had gone, I heard one of my old buddies shouting from an upstairs window (actually an email) saying "HEY, we moved here!"  It was a modest place, but it had promise and a lot of the old guys that hung around the old place were partying here (the new site) now....so I did what any reasonable old friend would do and came in grabbed a seat and a cocktail (submitted to all the profile questions, passwords, etc. and started posting).  It wasn't the same as the old place....new curtains and didn't have that  old stale beer smell...but it had promise.  So I settled in....now I find out that the old house was condemed for awhile and some of the old crew are trying to pull the boards off the windows and air out the place.  I am pretty comfy at the new place, but when I walk by the old place I will surely stop by and poke my head in the door.  And I can't understand why in the world anyone that used to party there would throw stones through the window on their way to the liqour store!?  Either way, I am drinking for free and enjoy the company of my buddies...just wish they could all get along!  ;D

My question would be, why do we have to have "competition" between the 2 sites, it seems to me that they are both trying to do the same thing and that one could be an informational tool for the other and visa versa. Both sites have the goal of promoting the sport of wrestling and if the ISHSWCA becomes the site that coaches use to spread tha info that they need and the fans use this one, then I say congrats to both.

I like some of the things that Indianmat is doing and hope they continue. I do not plan to be anything but supportive.

Thanks, Rex

Why were posts on the IHSWCA board from folks who were trying to direct wrestling fans to this site being removed and the posters banned if you were being supportive? Is this supportive stance you are taking a change of heart? Was it narrow minded and petty to attempt to stop wrestling fans starved for information. It is water under the bridge now but I think it is a bit disingenuous to say you are supportive of this site (while posting that your message board is back up and running) when that was clearly was not your stance a few weeks ago. If the IHSWCA site is for the coaches you could have easily sent an email out to your membership saying that the message board was up and running instead of posting it here.

Chad Hollenbaugh

I hope there will not be competition.  When I used the word "product" I did not mean it in the sense that it was one versus the other.  I was simply trying to say that this is a nice site and board that will be of benefit to wrestling.  If there were a competition we would probably fail because we are not planning on competing.  We are planning on offering to coaches what we will offer.  If someone else wants to come over and talk or visit that is fine.

I mentioned earlier that I have enjoyed some of the articles and commentary on this site.   We are not going to hurry oout and start producing articles to compete.   There are some things we will get rid of and some we will start, but it is not a competition.  

Could you please answer the questions about deleting posts that pointed wrestling fans to this site?  It is hard to fathom that the IHSWCA would not want more promotion of the sport in Indiana, but that is my feeling when numerous posts directing people to this site were deleted and people were banned because of it.

great post Rex, I think what you started has allowed this site to become what it has.  I always enjoyed ihswca site and will venture to both sites.. I just wish something would have been done 15-18 years ago.  You and I still need to talk about Coach Q in the seeding meeting :)

I am sorry if I offended you Chad.  At the time of the original hacking we had no clue who was attacking us and so what happened happened.  If you want to hold it against me then please by all means do so, but do not hold it against the IHSWCA.

Rex

I like some of the things that Indianmat is doing and hope they continue.  I do not plan to be anything but supportive. 

Thanks, Rex

Why were posts on the IHSWCA board from folks who were trying to direct wrestling fans to this site being removed and the posters banned if you were being supportive? 

Chad Hollenbaugh

Thanks for this post KARL!  I was one of those banned souls and I was never told why.  It was after I questioned their rankings and compared them to IndianaMat.

I just checked out their new site and it looks nice, however in their rules area it says:

Any user that is spamming ( posting garbage not associated with our site ) in a forum thread will also be banned.

Does that mean if we mention this site we will be booted?  It sounds a little like that, so I'm not sure how supportive they are really being.

jculp and others,

The statement you mention basically is saying that if someone comes there trying to say some thing, or sell something, non-related to wrestling they will be banned.

As for people being banned and post deleted when our Board was hacked.... I would say that if someone came to our Board and basically said in so many words that it was awful and that the people should go to Indianmat they would have been banned.  I would expect the same treatment if I came here and made a similar comment.  I really felt like a number of people were kicking us when we were down.  Like I said earlier you are welcome to hold that aginast me if you wish.  I guess....well I have said enough for now.  You can kick some more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.