This Crown Point Team…

I thought last year’s Crown Point team was going to be insane and surpass the incredible feat of the 2021-22 team by having potentially seven wrestlers in the finals at State and breaking the points record, but they fell just a bit short by going 4/4 in the finals and eleven points shy of the previous year’s score with 167.0 (Insane how that is their version of “falling short”). THIS YEAR’s Crown Point team however may break the 2021-22 squad’s points record and match them with six in the finals in #1 Jendreas, #2 Hawkins, #1 Shepherd, #1 Rinehart, #1 W. Clark, and #1 P. Clark. However, I can fully see a scenario where all six win it. Not to mention the additional points coming from a strong cast in #13 Newell, #5 Lewis, #8 Sessa, #9 Nowaczyk, #10 VanTichelt, and #13 Reading. This is assuming they all qualify because they still have to get there of course, and based on their draws and pedigree, I can see them qualifying 13 wrestlers. This team might be the ONE. We will see what these next two weekends bring for the dogs in red.

I can’t see CP qualifying all 14, I think they get 12 or 13. At 175 I think White is pretty underrated; he’s very solid and has a good draw. He also has a win over a red hot and very dangerous Jesse Derringer, which is I think a more impressive win than he got credit for. If I were in charge of the rankings, I’d probably have him at fifth in this semi state field. I see him punching his ticket. The weight I think most stands in the way of CP getting 14 is 132. Guillermo has multiple wins over Sessa and has the state experience, and I can’t see him losing to Sessa. Also, at 150 I think Kaptur will struggle against Smith. I think Kaptur is very good on top but Smith is a bull on his feet and I think that ends up being the difference in their ticket round match. In the end, I see CP with 12, with non-qualifications at 132 and 150

4 minutes ago, Adam_glass said:

I can’t see CP qualifying all 14, I think they get 12 or 13. At 175 I think White is pretty underrated; he’s very solid and has a good draw. He also has a win over a red hot and very dangerous Jesse Derringer, which is I think a more impressive win than he got credit for. If I were in charge of the rankings, I’d probably have him at fifth in this semi state field. I see him punching his ticket. The weight I think most stands in the way of CP getting 14 is 132. Guillermo has multiple wins over Sessa and has the state experience, and I can’t see him losing to Sessa. Also, at 150 I think Kaptur will struggle against Smith. I think Kaptur is very good on top but Smith is a bull on his feet and I think that ends up being the difference in their ticket round match. In the end, I see CP with 12, with non-qualifications at 132 and 150

You’re right, White is underrated. Finally cracked the nationally ranked lineup.

Kaptur is underrated too. If his win over #3 in Illinois didn’t open some eyes I’m sure his performance this weekend will.

1 minute ago, igotcaught said:

You’re right, White is underrated. Finally cracked the nationally ranked lineup.

Kaptur is underrated too. If his win over #3 in Illinois didn’t open some eyes I’m sure his performance this weekend will.

Hard not to like the White brothers; home grown talents who stuck with it and broke the loaded Crown Point rosters. Kaptur vs Smith will be one of the best ticket round matches this weekend in my opinion

2 minutes ago, BIGCATSontheMAT said:

All 14 for Mater Dei. But still get told we “recruit”

That’s awesome.   I thought the 120 kid was at Vincennes a year or two ago.   Could be wrong for sure. 

10 minutes ago, awill0352 said:

How many current CP varsity wrestlers went to elementary and middle school in the CP school jurisdiction?  I’d be curious about teams like Brownsburg, CG, and MD too. 

My guess would be somewhere around half (Just a guess)

This has always been a thing with EMD, Cathedral, and other private schools going back 20+ years when it comes to wrestling... We now live in the age of the "Super Team" with Brownsburg, Crown Point, and Center Grove competing for the best wrestlers... This happens at smaller school systems as well

I don't blame parents at all for sending their kids to schools that get better competition, and its even easier now that a lot of people can work from home...

Edited by NavyGonzo

11 minutes ago, NavyGonzo said:

This has always been a thing with EMD, Cathedral, and other private schools going back 20+ years when it comes to wrestling... We now live in the age of the "Super Team" with Brownsburg, Crown Point, and Center Grove competing for the best wrestlers... This happens at smaller school systems as well

I don't blame parents at all for sending their kids to schools that get better competition, and its even easier now that a lot of people can work from home...

For sure.   You see it with all sports now that ihsaa made it easy to do.   I was just curious.    Being in the southern part of the state you always hear about CP getting a bunch of kids from Chicago area and whatnot but I have no idea if it’s true.   If MD 14 all seriously went to Evansville Catholics schools that’s saying something. 

5 minutes ago, awill0352 said:

How many current CP varsity wrestlers went to elementary and middle school in the CP school jurisdiction?  I’d be curious about teams like Brownsburg, CG, and MD too. 

Transfer portal hittin' all sports at all levels these days....

12 minutes ago, NavyGonzo said:

That working from home element is going to be a huge contributor to this becoming more normal. I just never saw the appeal of moving full family and changing jobs, pinning all of your hopes on a teenager's potential to be a good athlete. Crazy when you really start to break it down and peal at the layers! But maybe I'll realize that as my children get older and I want to do the same sort of thing. 

Interesting topic of discussion. I think we all agree that to be at this elite level of wrestling, it goes beyond the high school room and into the Club scene...so maybe, the more appropriate question is, which CLUBS are feeding into these schools??

Crown Point - RWA (Region Wrestling Academy) 

Brownsburg - Red Cobra's ?

Center Grove - ??? 

Mater Dei - Maurer-Coughlin 

Just makes sense that these kids form a relationship rolling around all off-season together, and they want to be on the same high school team. 

Maybe this isn't the case...just what it appears from afar....

Brownsburg - Contentenders/Cobra

Center Grove - Contenders

There is a ton of traveling to national tourneys at MS and elementary so bonds do form. Good kids may move as a result of those friendships but also because it is becoming the norm in Indiana to move for advantages in sports. 

Just seems crazy to read about how tough this semi is over that one by those that are choosing this when they move into those schools. Surely families know that they are risking not having their athlete make it to the state tourney when they choose to enter a school that has to go through certain semis and other powerhouse schools. 

43 minutes ago, jets said:

Interesting topic of discussion. I think we all agree that to be at this elite level of wrestling, it goes beyond the high school room and into the Club scene...so maybe, the more appropriate question is, which CLUBS are feeding into these schools??

Crown Point - RWA (Region Wrestling Academy) 

Brownsburg - Red Cobra's ?

Center Grove - ??? 

Mater Dei - Maurer-Coughlin 

Just makes sense that these kids form a relationship rolling around all off-season together, and they want to be on the same high school team. 

Maybe this isn't the case...just what it appears from afar....

Contenders is huge. You can't leave them off the list. 

Is the suggestion that the IHSAA should change the state series each year to ensure that the kids from whomever the powerhouses schools may be at the time get into the state tourney? An unreasonable ask. 

IHSAA can do a lot more to improve the the sport, wrestlebacks seems to be a more reasonable ask, but redistributing the schools to appease the powerhouses?

1 hour ago, awill0352 said:

For sure.   You see it with all sports now that ihsaa made it easy to do.   I was just curious.    Being in the southern part of the state you always hear about CP getting a bunch of kids from Chicago area and whatnot but I have no idea if it’s true.   If MD 14 all seriously went to Evansville Catholics schools that’s saying something. 

Out of curiosity, how did the IHSAA make it easier to transfer?

If a kid transferred 20 years ago it brought a ton of attention and IHSAA would conduct an investigation.   I know in the SIAC alone you see kids transferring in and out of schools every single year and no one bats an eye.   I guess it comes down to the voucher system as well.   It seems overall the state, the school corporations, the private schools, and IHSAA just let it slide much more now than before.   We can't sit here and say it isn't easier to transfer now than before.   It is literally happening everywhere.  

Not sure transferring totally falls under the IHSAA. That is a DOE issue. Pretty sure the rule is that as long as a family can provide transportation, they have open enrollment and choice of schools to attend. 

However, IHSAA makes it easier by not regulating or simply ignoring the $1 coaching staff loophole which allows kids to wrestle on school teams when they do not live in the school district. Anyone want to discuss that🤫

19 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

Contenders is huge. You can't leave them off the list. 

Not being from the Indy area - I wasn't quite sure who/what CLUBS were dominate in the area. Point still remains however...the State series is becoming more and more a battle of CLUB teams as much as it is high school teams lol

Every transfer no matter what is supposed to be approved by the IHSAA and gets the pass of the principal of the recieving school and transferring out school. The parent/athlete needs to submit an Athletic Transfer Report that the principals will need to sign off on. You can have a student from another school that didn't play any sports transfer and they are not allowed to play any sport at the new school until the Athletic Transfer Report has been approved. For the most part, the principals from both the receiving and transferring out are supposed to evaluate if any of the transfer rules in the bylaws have either been broken or met then throw a red flag to the IHSAA or give approval. Transferring is very well defined in the bylaws. https://www.ihsaa.org/sites/default/files/documents/2022-23 By-Laws.pdf Start reading on page 96 and it goes over all violations and reasons for legitimate transfers. 

Someone can correct me if I am wrong I am just reading the rules. We have never had a high-level athletic transfer so I can only go off of the fact we had a student from another school move to us and they never even played a sport but had to still jump through the hoops. How people get around these rules I have no clue. But it is pretty hard to argue if there is a legit change of address barring it being some apartment with an address that "receives mail".

Also, remember middle school is the wild wild west and kids can go to any school they want before high school starts as long as the school system they are going to has open enrollment.  Which then doesn't throw an Athletic Transfer Report.

If you transfer from a small school that barely has a wrestling program, or to a school in which you grew up in their club, or your family legitimately moved in the school system. I can get behind it. Do what you have to do. 

If right before your freshman year you transfer from a solid program that constantly produces qualifiers and even champs, to one of these mega schools, then that is a different story imo. Especially if you are leaving behind families and teammates you came up with. I've always had a ton of respect for families that say nah we are going to wrestle with who we came up with if we get a title we do if we don't we don't. 

If your child needs some extra guidance and a strong coach in his life to keep grades and attitude accountable, I guess that maybe is an exception. But it's still kind of lame. 

Edited by CoachDuke2.0

44 minutes ago, awill0352 said:

If a kid transferred 20 years ago it brought a ton of attention and IHSAA would conduct an investigation.   I know in the SIAC alone you see kids transferring in and out of schools every single year and no one bats an eye.   I guess it comes down to the voucher system as well.   It seems overall the state, the school corporations, the private schools, and IHSAA just let it slide much more now than before.   We can't sit here and say it isn't easier to transfer now than before.   It is literally happening everywhere.  

What facts is this opinion based upon?

The IHSAA has had very little changes to the transfer process in the last 20 years.