Conference placers at state

tyquhp13

• 2 weeks later...

I will go with no conference. With Cathedral and Carmel, and center grove not being aligned, thats a pretty strong group of non-conference people placing.

After that, you have Central Indiana with the kids from Avon, and Brownsburg leading the way.

Then you have the duneland that had to have a strong showing.

I do not remember all the schools in any of those conferences, so it may be different from what I recall. 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:15 PM, tyquhp13 said:

I hear (or read) so much about what semi state is best represented at state. What conference has the best showing at state?

DAC- 5 champs, 9 placers, 8 qualifiers 

106- 5th, 7th

113- 5th

120- 2nd, Q, Q

126- 3rd, Q, Q

132- 4th, Q

138- Q

145- 1st ,3rd,

152- 7th

160- 1st, Q, Q

170- 1st

182- 1st

195-

220- 1st

285- 3rd

On 2/27/2023 at 10:11 PM, brickfor6 said:

DAC- 5 champs, 9 placers, 8 qualifiers 

106- 5th, 7th

113- 5th

120- 2nd, Q, Q

126- 3rd, Q, Q

132- 4th, Q

138- Q

145- 1st ,3rd,

152- 7th

160- 1st, Q, Q

170- 1st

182- 1st

195-

220- 1st

285- 3rd

DAC looks the best! 5 Champs, and please I don't care if 4 of them are from same team. 

40 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

DAC looks the best! 5 Champs, and please I don't care if 4 of them are from same team. 

On 2/28/2023 at 12:48 PM, Gasman said:

Based on this it seems HCC is the deeper conference. If you remove one team from Duneland it removes a lot of strength, if you remove the best team from HCC you still have the best numbers. 

Well you can't just remove teams.......

Also DAC had a better winning percentage Friday. With or without those teams.

Edited by brickfor6

14 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

Well you can't just remove teams.......

Also DAC had a better winning percentage Friday. With or without those teams.

To be fair, he didn't say the HCC looked to be the best, he said it was deeper, based on numbers from the respective champs of each conference.

Let's examine:

DAC: 22 total qualifiers, 11 from CP, 5 from Merillville, 3 from Chesterton, 2 from Lake Central, 1 from Laporte. Portage, Valparaiso, and Michigan City all shut out this year.

HCC: 25 total qualifiers, 9 from Brownsburg, 4 from Zionsville, 3 from HSE, 3 from Westfield, 2 from Avon, 2 from Noblesville and 1 each from Fishers and Franklin Central.

HOWEVER: it is worth noting that the HCC has 6 of the 8 member schools feeding through the New Castle Semi-State and 2 from Evansville, opening up more potential spots that the DAC doesn't have, so those numbers are skewed a little.

What could be interesting is comparing all 8 schools as dual teams head to head to get a better feel of true "depth". 

Match-ups could look like this (based on placement at individual conference tourneys):

Crown Point vs. Brownsburg (we saw this actually happen)

Merillville vs Zionsville 

Portage vs Avon

Chesterton vs HSE

Lake Central vs Fishers

LaPorte vs Franklin Central

Valparaiso vs Westfield

Michigan City vs Noblesville

I don't know exactly how this DAC/HCC Challenge would go down, but I'll bet there'd be some very close duals in there. The only Head to heads I could find between Conferences were 

CP over Brownsburg at Team State

Portage over Fishers at Traicoff

Fishers over Valparaiso at Traicoff

I'd say when you take it all into consideration, the DAC may have the edge on a better post-season, and the HCC may have a small edge in depth of teams. Both conferences are very good though. 

5 hours ago, Coach Brobst said:

To be fair, he didn't say the HCC looked to be the best, he said it was deeper, based on numbers from the respective champs of each conference.

Let's examine:

DAC: 22 total qualifiers, 11 from CP, 5 from Merillville, 3 from Chesterton, 2 from Lake Central, 1 from Laporte. Portage, Valparaiso, and Michigan City all shut out this year.

HCC: 25 total qualifiers, 9 from Brownsburg, 4 from Zionsville, 3 from HSE, 3 from Westfield, 2 from Avon, 2 from Noblesville and 1 each from Fishers and Franklin Central.

HOWEVER: it is worth noting that the HCC has 6 of the 8 member schools feeding through the New Castle Semi-State and 2 from Evansville, opening up more potential spots that the DAC doesn't have, so those numbers are skewed a little.

What could be interesting is comparing all 8 schools as dual teams head to head to get a better feel of true "depth". 

Match-ups could look like this (based on placement at individual conference tourneys):

Crown Point vs. Brownsburg (we saw this actually happen)

Merillville vs Zionsville 

Portage vs Avon

Chesterton vs HSE

Lake Central vs Fishers

LaPorte vs Franklin Central

Valparaiso vs Westfield

Michigan City vs Noblesville

I don't know exactly how this DAC/HCC Challenge would go down, but I'll bet there'd be some very close duals in there. The only Head to heads I could find between Conferences were 

CP over Brownsburg at Team State

Portage over Fishers at Traicoff

Fishers over Valparaiso at Traicoff

I'd say when you take it all into consideration, the DAC may have the edge on a better post-season, and the HCC may have a small edge in depth of teams. Both conferences are very good though. 

Add in that this was the first time in I think 40 years that Portage didn’t have a qualifier. 

If based on rankings by the expert @ontherise219 

DAC: 35 ranked 

HCC: 28 Ranked 

Very close, but I think DAC has the edge in tournaments and possibly duals. Merrillville was a really good team this year both duals and tournaments, and lost to Portage. Portage had a tough team. Chesterton and Zionsville have beat each other in tournaments. Zionsville took 2nd at HCC, Chesterton took 4th at DAC. 

Not entering the NLC into the conversation for the best conference, but if I added correctly: 14 Qualifiers and 7 Placers.  With the conference split between EC and FW, looks like 4 placers went through EC and 3 from FW.