106 girls

18 minutes ago, Absolute Can said:

These are the rankings for 106 in the state and country going into girls state this week. Might be a top 3 weight in Indiana regardless of gender!

#1 IN/#5 USA julianna ocampo

#2 IN/#6 USA heather crull 

#3 IN/#20 USA makenzie smith

#4 IN/#13 USA joy cantu

WOW! That is outstanding. "Team with the deepest wgt class?" Team Indiana Girls

In my opinion, this is the 2nd biggest storyline of the girl's season. One has been the huge rise in numbers due to the influx of first year wrestlers. Two is this weight class. It goes without saying that this is the deepest, toughest, and most talented weight class that the Indiana girls statement tournament series has ever seen. It's likely one of the toughest girls brackets of any state in the country this year at any weight class. All of these girls have been Fargo All-Americans, or champs in the case of Smith, with the exception of Ocampo who just hasn't entered the tournament yet. I partly wish these individuals would be more spread out so they could all win state titles, but I also want to see them them battle each other on Friday!

Just to throw another wrinkle in there, it's crazy to think this weight class is actually weaker than it could have otherwise been. 2022 Fargo champ and recent Midlands champ, Rianne Murphy, isn't entered into the girl's state tournament, but would have probably been at this weight.

55 minutes ago, smitty11 said:

I may have missed it but why didn't Murphy wrestle this season?  She was ranked to start the year, correct?  Was she ineligible?

No idea. I was wondering this myself. Yes, she did start off the year in the rankings, but then was rapidly removed so someone must've been notified that she wasn't competing.

So crazy how far girls' wrestling statewide and nationally has come in such a hurry. I was thinking about how the trailblazers, Sarah Hildebrandt (ticket round) and Kayla Miracle (qualified for state at the end of her career), are now national team mainstays and multiple-time world-level medalists. Meanwhile, we've now got a whole batch of girls who could eventually meet or exceed those high school benchmarks. And nationally there have become so many at that level that the landscape will be very crowded for a shot at similar Miracle/Hildebrandt international glory. Good luck to the ladies this weekend!

The Indiana girl's scene is definitely worth watching over the next few years. We're just now getting into a batch of girls who have been doing this from a very young age, while at the same time we're seeing explosive growth in numbers, bringing this into the high school sports mainstream. Even among the newcomers, there is some very interesting talent emerging.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, maligned said:

So crazy how far girls' wrestling statewide and nationally has come in such a hurry. I was thinking about how the trailblazers, Sarah Hildebrandt (ticket round) and Kayla Miracle (qualified for state at the end of her career), are now national team mainstays and multiple-time world-level medalists. Meanwhile, we've now got a whole batch of girls who could eventually meet or exceed those high school benchmarks. And nationally there have become so many at that level that the landscape will be very crowded for a shot at similar Miracle/Hildebrandt international glory. Good luck to the ladies this weekend!

Kayla qualified for state as a Sophomore.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:26 PM, Absolute Can said:

These are the rankings for 106 in the state and country going into girls state this week. Might be a top 3 weight in Indiana regardless of gender!

#1 IN/#5 USA julianna ocampo

#2 IN/#6 USA heather crull 

#3 IN/#20 USA makenzie smith

#4 IN/#13 USA joy cantu

No question.

2 minutes ago, busstogate said:

Crull gets it done 7-0 over Ocampo.  Hope there is a rematch at Gainbridge!

The score was being put in backwards (at least on Flo video feed) it was actually Ocampo over Crull 7-0. 

Edited by MattM

Ocampo and Crull's arms looked more muscular than several boys. I think the scramble in the first period was outstanding by both wrestlers. The match was closer than the score showed. Ocampo just a bit too smooth and technical. Can't wait to see both of them at the state finals.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:21 AM, navy80 said:

Ocampo and Crull's arms looked more muscular than several boys. I think the scramble in the first period was outstanding by both wrestlers. The match was closer than the score showed. Ocampo just a bit too smooth and technical. Can't wait to see both of them at the state finals.

Ocampo clearly has shown herself to be a better wrestler, but both are at a level where short term development and tactics could make this a very close match, unfortunately for Crull, the Julianna camp knows this and will be ready. 
What a tremendous bracket. Well done, Indiana.