Senior One Shot, One Gold

Y2CJ41

29 minutes ago, AC Computer said:

Denny was the regional champion at 119 in both 1991 and 1992. I don't know if he wrestled Ester or not though.

I looked it up in the IHSAA yearbook. Denny was regional champ and Ester 3rd in 91 behind Fiechter of Bluffton too--and then Ester was 2nd in 92 behind Schwartz. All 3 guys went to state in 91 and Ester/Schwartz ended up 3/4 in the state in 1992.

Rico Talamentes won regional in 1991 the year before his title. Jon Henderson of Snider was the only non-regional winner from a different regional to get through to state; so unless there was a weight or injury issue, that's who beat him at semi-state.

(I feel like it's not uncommon at 160+ that guys make huge 1-year jumps in strength and athleticism, and therefore in performance, in any of the 4 years. So with Rico and Roger Blanton and other bigger guys on this list, I'm guessing they just got beat the years before--and then grew into men and won a title.)

Edited by maligned

5 hours ago, maligned said:

Rico Talamentes won regional in 1991 the year before his title. Jon Henderson of Snider was the only non-regional winner from a different regional to get through to state; so unless there was a weight or injury issue, that's who beat him at semi-state.

(I feel like it's not uncommon at 160+ that guys make huge 1-year jumps in strength and athleticism, and therefore in performance, in any of the 4 years. So with Rico and Roger Blanton and other bigger guys on this list, I'm guessing they just got beat the years before--and then grew into men and won a title.)

Tony Vaughn and I were in the corner. Johnny had never beat Rico in his career.  We told him he only needed to do it once. Rico never lost another high school match.

On 9/1/2023 at 6:50 AM, maligned said:

Talamantes is fortunate that McCubbins got injured and wasn't able to wrestle.  Nobody was going to beat him in '92.

3 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Talamantes is fortunate that McCubbins got injured and wasn't able to wrestle.  Nobody was going to beat him in '92.

Yeah that’s what we’ve heard for 31 years.  The record books says Talamantes State Champion.  Can’t take it away.  He not only won but helped coach his brother to two state titles and a runner up.  Yeah he was fortunate to have people like Big Tino Talamentes and Coach Swartzkoft in his corner.  If if was a fifth we all would be messed up.

53 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Yeah that’s what we’ve heard for 31 years.  The record books says Talamantes State Champion.  Can’t take it away.  He not only won but helped coach his brother to two state titles and a runner up.  Yeah he was fortunate to have people like Big Tino Talamentes and Coach Swartzkoft in his corner.  If if was a fifth we all would be messed up.

not taking anything away from him.  He could only wrestle who was in front of him and he earned it.  However, when the defending state champ and best wrestler in the state is missing due to injury, it makes the bracket weaker.  I would have loved to see that match play out.  I have my opinion and you have yours, but we'll never know. 

21 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

not taking anything away from him.  He could only wrestle who was in front of him and he earned it.  However, when the defending state champ and best wrestler in the state is missing due to injury, it makes the bracket weaker.  I would have loved to see that match play out.  I have my opinion and you have yours, but we'll never know. 

Yeah, I've seen a lot of returning state champs get beat.  Not taking anything away from McCubbins,  but Talamantes looked unstoppable that year.  Who knows maybe a 'defending state champ' and 'best wrestler in the state' just might have gotten beat that day.   It's happened before and will almost certainly happen again.

First, the fact that "VisionQuest" is pointing out that the best can be beaten, is Awesome...great movie

Second:  It is correct that the record book will always list R. Talamantes as the 92 champ...he beat all the available opponents...no asterisks (except the giant one in my brain)

As far as what would have happened....COME ON!!

There are good/great wrestlers...and then there are next level DUDES...David was that DUDE...this all went down at a time where he hadn't lost for a couple years in North America..in any style...Double National champ '92 FS/Greco...etc...

Rico had the best (hands down) name over the loud speakers, but thats the only thing he would have won that day

6 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

There were only a couple of wrestlers in '92 that I would have put big $ on to win.  Brandon Ingalls and David McCubbins.  Upsets do happen, but I think those two were the safest bets in the state.  Unfortunately an injury happened and now we have a bunch of what ifs.  LOL

"We" don't. You do.

5 hours ago, SLAPtheMAT1313 said:

First, the fact that "VisionQuest" is pointing out that the best can be beaten, is Awesome...great movie

Second:  It is correct that the record book will always list R. Talamantes as the 92 champ...he beat all the available opponents...no asterisks (except the giant one in my brain)

As far as what would have happened....COME ON!!

There are good/great wrestlers...and then there are next level DUDES...David was that DUDE...this all went down at a time where he hadn't lost for a couple years in North America..in any style...Double National champ '92 FS/Greco...etc...

Rico had the best (hands down) name over the loud speakers, but thats the only thing he would have won that day

Would've?  He won so he did what he was supposed to do.  I'm sure the asterisk in your brain means nothing to Rico and his Legacy.  He is a legend around these parts.  And he can hook up a smooth fade too.  Man's got hands of stone.  His dad taught me how to knock people out.  Legend period.

3 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Would've?  He won so he did what he was supposed to do.  I'm sure the asterisk in your brain means nothing to Rico and his Legacy.  He is a legend around these parts.  And he can hook up a smooth fade too.  Man's got hands of stone.  His dad taught me how to knock people out.  Legend period.

Yep!

Matt Hasbrook was 41-3 his junior year and was terribly ill (103 degree temp at weigh-in). Almost lost first round to a no-name in OT before losing to Blair Hammer from Carmel, who he had beaten the previous 7 times. He pinned the state runner-up Jason Kemper (LN) in the Regional in :34 that year. 

He had just won the Fargo Junior Greco title (beating Cain Velasquez of UFC fame) and got runner up in Freestyle to Stephen Mocco the summer before. Very depressing day for Matt and the Irish. One of those instances that just suck, but you build your character off of. 

Same goes for Jason Terry on the Saturday morning at Market Square his junior year losing to Devon Nelson. Projectile vomiting in the tunnel before the match. He should have been a 3x. 

Two major sicknesses that stripped a couple would-be titles from the Irish record books. 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

Thanks for the info on Miller, he did indeed qualify as a sophomore.

Speaking of Robert Miller, he started his career in the Cathedral room as a freshman. He struggled to get his weight off to make the team as a freshman at 135. Robert was the last of the one of the nastiest rooms in the state in that era, the Christian Park room, on the near-east side of Indy. 

That room produced 9 state champs (that I can count) and prob another 15 medalists in the late 80s and early 90s: Lance Ellis (4), Jason Terry (2), Puckett, Rob Walke, Robert Miller were the champs. Medalists included Billy Terry 2x, Scotty Ellis, Sean McGinley 2x, Dan Ireland, Todd Mackall, Eric Guhl and many more. One of the nastiest groups of lads I've ever met. The room was run by Grandpa John Sherrill. One of the greatest patriarchs in Indy wrestling history. Grandpa John: Overalls and Kodiak spitting on the side of the mat and the most vile motivation that I can never forget. 

And, Rob Miller is one of a kind. Hope he's well. Had some battles in the room with him in the ol' days. 

7 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Matt Hasbrook was 41-3 his junior year and was terribly ill (103 degree temp at weigh-in). Almost lost first round to a no-name in OT before losing to Blair Hammer from Carmel, who he had beaten the previous 7 times. He pinned the state runner-up Jason Kemper (LN) in the Regional in :34 that year. 

He had just won the Fargo Junior Greco title (beating Cain Velasquez of UFC fame) and got runner up in Freestyle to Stephen Mocco the summer before. Very depressing day for Matt and the Irish. One of those instances that just suck, but you build your character off of. 

Same goes for Jason Terry on the Saturday morning at Market Square his junior year losing to Devon Nelson. Projectile vomiting in the tunnel before the match. He should have been a 3x. 

Two major sicknesses that stripped a couple would-be titles from the Irish record books. 

No one was beating Eric Early that year.

19 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Here’s a fun tidbit about Jeremiah Harvey’s championship run; he had never even made his SECTIONAL championship match. Finished 3rd in his sectional behind Damon Howe and Abe Hall both his junior and senior years.

Since you brought it up....

Another fun fact is Jeremiah won every match of that run (except two, more on those later...) by either first period pin or overtime victory.

One of the two he didn't win by first period pin or OT was Howe who he pinned in the second period. Howe was ranked #2 at the time, and many had him picked to win it all. The other was in the (Merrillville!) semistate semifinals against (future champ) Abe Hall who had given Jeremiah all four of his losses that season.

Needless to say, it was as thrilling a run as one could have. Truly a case of "lightning in a bottle." And if you can't tell, I am eternally grateful to have been a part of it.

5 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

This^^^^^^ Nothing against the Indy greats back in the day but the only thing they would have gotten that year was an Early crossface cradle sammwich. We understand we may be a little down right now but there was a time the SAC alone would have a couple State Champions a year. Don't try and compare today against the yester years. 

6 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Maybe not, but you must have forgotten that Terry stomped him in the semis in '90, by a major I believe.  So a healthy Terry would have been the big favorite in '91.  But hats off to Early, he was the champ in '91.

31 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

Maybe not, but you must have forgotten that Terry stomped him in the semis in '90, by a major I believe.  So a healthy Terry would have been the big favorite in '91.  But hats off to Early, he was the champ in '91.

I heard Early was sick that day...... The games we can play.....  It's the past and it really doesn't matter except to us old losers that like to talk nothing but wrestling. Both were great wrestlers and I don't know about Terry now but I know Early is a great coach and still giving back to the sport.

26 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

I heard Early was sick that day...... The games we can play.....  It's the past and it really doesn't matter except to us old losers that like to talk nothing but wrestling. Both were great wrestlers and I don't know about Terry now but I know Early is a great coach and still giving back to the sport.

Agreed.  It's a fun debate.  

1 hour ago, ReformedPoster said:

Last year doesn’t count. I hear Early got bitten by a radioactive spider.  Either way you try and slice it your guy lost Big E won.  And the rest is history witcho.  “ if coach gave me the ball we would’ve won states” lookin’ azz bwoy.

Here are two oldies from Muncie Southside:

Donald Pritchard won state his Junior year at HW in 1975, and that was his only year making it!!!!

Michael Holmes won it at 126 his senior year in 1975.

2 wrestlers won it their only time there, and led the team to the state title as well!!!

On 9/8/2023 at 12:08 PM, GenHeavyHandz said:

Last year doesn’t count. I hear Early got bitten by a radioactive spider.  Either way you try and slice it your guy lost Big E won.  And the rest is history witcho.  “ if coach gave me the ball we would’ve won states” lookin’ azz bwoy.

Terry wasn't my guy.  Just the guy who I though would win in '91.  No biggie.