Red v Lee V

This Sunday we get the fifth installment of Chad Red vs. Nick Lee. After winning their only high school meeting in dramatic fashion, Red is now 0-3 against Lee in college. With the dual at PSU I would guess Lee is a 4-5 point favorite (wrestlestat has it at 2, but with no adjustment for home mat). 

If I put the line at Lee -4.5, who ya got?

Chad Red has a big weekend ahead.  While waiting for the match with Lee on Sunday, don't miss his scheduled match on Friday night against Stevan Micic.  IN ties all around this weekend!

Friday night on BTN:
Ohio State @ Penn St. - 6 pm ET
Michigan @ Nebraska - 8 pm ET

A nice warmup for Regionals on Saturday

33 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

7-3 Red. It was closer than that. Trailing 4-3 with about a minute to go Micic can't fight off Red on the final scramble.

Micic looked very outmanned to me.  He's struggling to get off bottom and just doesn't look strong enough for the weight.  He certainly has work to do and there isn't much left this year.  Maybe he'll grow into it and be fine, but I see him struggling at 65kg as well.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, SWINfan said:

Micic looked very outmanned to me.  He's struggling to get off bottom and just doesn't look strong enough for the weight.  He certainly has work to do and there isn't much left this year.  Maybe he'll grow into it and be fine, but I see him struggling at 65kg as well.

I agree that Micic has looked outmanned at 141 this year. But I highly doubt he will ever be wrestling at 65 kg internationally. He wrestled 57 kg at the 2020 (2021) Olympics. 

He is likely only going 141 this year because that is what is best for Team Michigan. They have a former NCAA Champ in Suriano at 125 (ranked #1) & Dylan Ragusin ranked #8 at 133. I'm guessing that Michigan just felt Ragusin at 133 & Micic at 141 is their best dual lineup.

It's a shame for Micic to not be at his best weight for his final season but doing what is best for the team is admirable. Or is it possible that Ragusin beat him out for that spot in the lineup?

On 2/4/2022 at 10:45 PM, wrestlenewbie said:

7-3 Red. It was closer than that. Trailing 4-3 with about a minute to go Micic can't fight off Red on the final scramble.

You are correct that the match was closer than the final score indicates, but it was clear that Red is considerably stronger than Micic. And Micic's technical skills just aren't enough better than top collegiate wrestlers for him to overcome the strength difference. He would probably fare much better at this weight in Freestyle but in Folkstyle the strength difference is simply too much for him to overcome in mat wrestling.

43 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

I agree that Micic has looked outmanned at 141 this year. But I highly doubt he will ever be wrestling at 65 kg internationally. He wrestled 57 kg at the 2020 (2021) Olympics. 

He is likely only going 141 this year because that is what is best for Team Michigan. They have a former NCAA Champ in Suriano at 125 (ranked #1) & Dylan Ragusin ranked #8 at 133. I'm guessing that Michigan just felt Ragusin at 133 & Micic at 141 is their best dual lineup.

It's a shame for Micic to not be at his best weight for his final season but doing what is best for the team is admirable. Or is it possible that Ragusin beat him out for that spot in the lineup?

It's my understanding he went 141 this year because he is transitioning to 65kg.  Apparently, 57kg was too big of a cut and likely played a big part of why he didn't wrestle well in the Olympics.  He may change his mind, of course, or choose to 61kg in non-Olympic years, but that's what I heard when it came out he was going 141.

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:

It's my understanding he went 141 this year because he is transitioning to 65kg.  Apparently, 57kg was too big of a cut and likely played a big part of why he didn't wrestle well in the Olympics.  He may change his mind, of course, or choose to 61kg in non-Olympic years, but that's what I heard when it came out he was going 141.

It sounds as if you have some info I was not aware of. I based my thoughts purely off where he wrestled in this past Olympics. 

He has not looked great at 141 so far but with more time & hard work that could easily change. We all know he has the skills. He just needs to find the best weight for himself & settle in.

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

It sounds as if you have some info I was not aware of. I based my thoughts purely off where he wrestled in this past Olympics. 

He has not looked great at 141 so far but with more time & hard work that could easily change. We all know he has the skills. He just needs to find the best weight for himself & settle in.

Micic stated on social media he wasn't wrestling 57kg any more.

But I think 141 is making him think a Little more before making a move out on the mat. He is definitely at a weight disadvantage.  Kind of like Dake in international arena. Olympic years.  Had to grow into his weight. 

The good thing is he can wrestle 61kg to transition before the next Olympics, should he so choose.  He's also getting older so who knows how long he'll continue to pursue Intl. Wrestling.  Don't discount he's in his 8th year of "college".    

6 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

Lee with the win again 

Had to do some work today and couldn't watch the Dual until about 5:00.  It was hell staying off all sites to keep from finding out the results.  Even had to tell my dad to shut down the texts real quick.  Glad I was able to.  Nice win for Nick.  Again, workmanlike.

10 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

Red was very quick in the first period Lee defended well. The post season may bring some closer matches, Red was getting his butt handed to him by Lee in the past, not so much the case anymore.

This could have been their last match ever.  I doubt they see each other at the big 10's  Lee will be the 1 seed and I think Red gets the 3 seed, which means he would have to upset Eierman to get to the finals.  Don't see that happening.  if Red finishes 3rd at the big 10, then I think he can get the 3 seed at nationals.  If Lee wins big 10, then they will be opposite each other and likely won't meet.

Red usually saves his best performance for nationals. But this year I’m seeing a different Chad. I think he ain’t waiting, seems he is a little more intense this regular season. I’m not sure if it will make a difference for him at the national tournament, having AA’d each prior year. But we will see. 

24 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

This could have been their last match ever.  I doubt they see each other at the big 10's  Lee will be the 1 seed and I think Red gets the 3 seed, which means he would have to upset Eierman to get to the finals.  Don't see that happening.  if Red finishes 3rd at the big 10, then I think he can get the 3 seed at nationals.  If Lee wins big 10, then they will be opposite each other and likely won't meet.

If he beats Duncan in the Illinois dual or if Duncan still has only 1-2 matches before B10s, Red's the 4 seed, right?  He's clearly behind Sea Bass. If he loses to Duncan, he's the 5. Either way, he's in Lee's bracket and they could meet again. Also, short of upsetting Sea Bass or Eierman at B10s, he'll be in the 5 to 12 seed range at nationals depending on other match results. As the 5,8,9, or 12, he'd have yet another shot at being in Lee's bracket.

Just now, maligned said:

If he beats Duncan in the Illinois dual or if Duncan still has only 1-2 matches before B10s, Red's the 4 seed, right?  He's clearly behind Sea Bass. If he loses to Duncan, he's the 5. Either way, he's in Lee's bracket and they could meet again. Also, short of upsetting Sea Bass or Eierman at B10s, he'll be in the 5 to 12 seed range at nationals depending on other match results. As the 5,8,9, or 12, he'd have yet another shot at being in Lee's bracket.

Ahh, you are right.  I totally forgot about SeaBass.  Completely wiffed on that.  Yes, at best Red would get the 4 seed and we may get to see Lee vs Red at least one more time.

11 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

...Red was getting his butt handed to him by Lee in the past, not so much the case anymore.

Lee beat Red convincingly one time during the 2020 dual season, other than that all their matches have been tightly contested.

2016 Red 6-5 (IHSAA Finals)

2019 Lee 5-4 (Dual)

2020 Lee 9-1 (Dual)

2020 Lee 7-5 (B1G's)

2022 Lee 4-1 (Dual)