Red v Lee V

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Since Lee already won a national title, my hope is Red can win one this year or more likely, Red, Lee, and Micic all place top 8. That would be neat... preferably 1,2,3

I think Lee is the only one of those three to reach the semis.  The way Micic has looked, he will be lucky to AA.  Red typically gets picked off fairly early and has to battle back in the consi's to reach AA status.  Can he get the monkey off his back this year and make a run in the championship bracket?

On 2/7/2022 at 8:41 AM, SIACfan said:

Lee beat Red convincingly one time during the 2020 dual season, other than that all their matches have been tightly contested.

2016 Red 6-5 (IHSAA Finals)

2019 Lee 5-4 (Dual)

2020 Lee 9-1 (Dual)

2020 Lee 7-5 (B1G's)

2022 Lee 4-1 (Dual)

I'd venture to day that Lee has been in control the last 3x they have met.  Never in the 7-5 or 4-1 wins did I doubt Lee would win.  Maybe about :10 of the 2020 B1G match, but Lee, with more than 2 minutes of riding time, was never in danger of more than going to SV.  

That doesn't mean things can't reverse themselves in a single match, but to this point, Lee has been in control.  

10 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I'd venture to day that Lee has been in control the last 3x they have met.  Never in the 7-5 or 4-1 wins did I doubt Lee would win.  Maybe about :10 of the 2020 B1G match, but Lee, with more than 2 minutes of riding time, was never in danger of more than going to SV.  

That doesn't mean things can't reverse themselves in a single match, but to this point, Lee has been in control.  

I don't disagree with this.

But I just didn't agree when Ahawkeye stated "Red was getting his butt handed to him by Lee in the past, not so much the case anymore." So I simply presented the scores which shows that Lee has majored him only once. The rest of the time the scores have been close.

It is one thing to say that Lee contolled those matches and quit another to say "Red was getting his butt handed to him".

My point was Lee scored points on Red in the past in higher scoring affairs and probably had more points scored on Red than 90% of Red's opponents. Lee scored 5, 9, and 7 points on Red in the last 3 meetings presumably (I didn't look it up) on offensive points WHERE LEE INIATES the takedown not defends it. in the last match Lee did not score on a takedown where he started the attack. Red shut Lee's offence down. Lee scoring 4 points in the last match with two of those points being from defending a shot from Red, one point being an escape after about 30 seconds of being down and one point for riding time is very different than the offensive production that Lee has had in the past against Red. So as far as Lee scoring points goes... he scored a bunch in the past and did not score as many this time.  🍻 have a good day.

16 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

My point was Lee scored points on Red in the past in higher scoring affairs and probably had more points scored on Red than 90% of Red's opponents. Lee scored 5, 9, and 7 points on Red in the last 3 meetings presumably (I didn't look it up) on offensive points WHERE LEE INIATES the takedown not defends it. in the last match Lee did not score on a takedown where he started the attack. Red shut Lee's offence down. Lee scoring 4 points in the last match with two of those points being from defending a shot from Red, one point being an escape after about 30 seconds of being down and one point for riding time is very different than the offensive production that Lee has had in the past against Red. So as far as Lee scoring points goes... he scored a bunch in the past and did not score as many this time.  🍻 have a good day.

OK, but stating Lee was more offensive in the past is much different than stating "Red got his butt handed to him" in the past.

Plus I agree with SWINfan, there was never really any point in this last match were the Lee win was in much doubt. That was not the case in the 2019 & 2020 B1G's matches. This was only the 2nd time in their 5 matches were Lee held Red to only a single escape point - no offensive points.

One last thing before I head out to watch the EVV SS action, amassing over 2 minutes of riding time against a 3-time AA is pretty darn impressive & some might even say offensive.

Edited by SIACfan

On 2/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, SIACfan said:

Lee beat Red convincingly one time during the 2020 dual season, other than that all their matches have been tightly contested.

2016 Red 6-5 (IHSAA Finals)

2019 Lee 5-4 (Dual)

2020 Lee 9-1 (Dual)

2020 Lee 7-5 (B1G's)

2022 Lee 4-1 (Dual)

Some great matches, I've watched them all & always root for both!

I often think about what Red would look like had he chose another program than Nebraska

I know JB was on staff or at least  more involved in the program back when CJ was in HS & maybe first yr or 2 at Nebraska

CJ was electrifying & so dominant in HS - It is hard for me to understand why he hasn't had the same success in college - other than the program he's in compared to Lee 

I think CJ has the raw talent to complete for an Olympic bid in 2024 if he chooses to compete, I just think he needs a new room to train, new coaches, new training partners etc.

As a fan, I hope we get to see Red vs Lee a few more times after this season

Love watching them both wrestle!

17 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I think we get Lee v Red VI in the Big 10 tourney semis, as it looks like Lee will be the 1 seed and Red the 4 seed.

I was thinking the same thing.  But it’s the Big10s so just making it out of the quarters is equivalent to a NCAA placement match.   

On 2/13/2022 at 11:29 AM, MattM said:

I was thinking the same thing.  But it’s the Big10s so just making it out of the quarters is equivalent to a NCAA placement match.   

I took a shot at seeding the B1G 141 to see what it might look like.

Round 1

I think Red gets the 4 seed so he faces the 13 in round one. I am guessing that is Santos of MSU. Easy Red win. Lee with the 1 seed gets a bye.

Quarters

Red gets the winner of Micic (5) / Rooks (12). Clearly leans toward Micic. And I have Red over Micic again. Lee gets the winner of 8/9 which I have as Tal-Shahar v D'Emilio, neither of which who present much of an obstacle. Note: I had a hard time figuring out where Micic will be seeded. I think it could be anywhere between 5 and 7 given his lose to Bergeland, who I have all the way down at 10.

Semis

So I have Lee v Red in the semi with Lee completing the college sweep (with a possible 7th meeting to come).