As a state, we consistently produce the best…

blueandgold

220-pound wrestlers!

As far as I know going all the way back to state champion Billy Baker from Bellmont, Indiana generally in the last decade or so has consistently produced nationally-ranked light heavies. 2014 and 2016 were two years we had four nationally-ranked wrestlers competing at the state finals in the 220 weight class!

Some big names over the years

• Billy Baker
  • Trey Reese
  • Tyler Kral
  • Gelen Robinson
  • Kobe Woods
  • Mason Parris
  • Evan Bates
  • Tristan Ruhlman
  • Christian Carroll
  • Fletcher Miller
  • Connor Tolley
  • Dylan Faulkenburg
  • Gunnar Larson
  • Evan Ellis
  • Kyle Cornwell
  • Josh Howell

We’ve got a good crop of them here in Indiana! Fargo and Super 32 All-Americans

Edited by blueandgold

Those guys were/are all fantastic high school wrestlers.  But only Parris continued that path at the D1 level.  It's too early to tell how Carroll, Ruhlman, etc will do at that level, but they will have their shot.  Problem with 220 is that they likely have to bulk up even more to be a decent sized heavy or suck a lot of weight to get to 197 in college, which could potentially cause them to lose some of what made them very good 220's.  They are tweeners in college for the most part.

19 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Those guys were/are all fantastic high school wrestlers.  But only Parris continued that path at the D1 level.  It's too early to tell how Carroll, Ruhlman, etc will do at that level, but they will have their shot.  Problem with 220 is that they likely have to bulk up even more to be a decent sized heavy or suck a lot of weight to get to 197 in college, which could potentially cause them to lose some of what made them very good 220's.  They are tweeners in college for the most part.

I know that Trey Reese was nowhere near 220, but had to bump up because of the hammer below him. Was that Indian Creek?

"Wasn't Billy Baker a light/undersized 215/220?  Or am I thinking of another Bellmont guy from the same time frame?"

Daniel Meyer was a very successful undersized heavyweight for the Braves. If I am correct, he was 205-215 ballpark. 

Edited by jetwrestling

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.