Intermat Natl Rankings

UncleJimmy

Nice representation of Indiana wrestlers.  We also have 2 teams in the top 50.  EMD and Warren Central.  Can somebody please shed some light on why Warren is ranked #25 and MD is #42?  WC has 0 ranked wrestlers, MD has 2.  WC has 4 returning state qualifiers, with 2 returning place winners.  MD has 5 returning place winners, including one champ.

Warren actually has

106- Keyaun Murphy- qualified for state, but did not participate

113- Skylour Turner- state 7th

126- Joel McGhee- Qualifier

145- Trent Pruit- State 5th

152- Dominic Herrick- State 8th

160- Dexmen Goddard- Qualifier(SS Champ)

195- Tristan Tonte- State 2nd

285- Jaison Brogan- Qualifier

4 placers and 4 qualifiers by my count.

OK.  Missed the 285 and the transfers and wasn't aware that the 106 qualified but did not wrestle.  But still, how does that justify the #25 ranking and being 17 spots higher in the rankings than MD?  In the big picture it doesn't mean anything, just curious as to what the justification is.

Make no mistake, I think WC will be a very good team that will likely contend for the title.  Just not seeing the justification for being ranked #25 in the country at this point.

MD did lose a lot in the upper weights, but they typically reload.  last year's 106 lost to Mills from Brownsburg 2-0 in the ticket round at SS, Orth who was out injured last year was a SSQ as a soph, he should be back this season.  Mitch Lehman was a SSQ as a frosh is still around, hopefully he finds the right weight class this season.  Wilderman is a SSQ at 220.  Just saying the cupboard isn't bare at MD.

WC has a stacked team. The above mentioned wrestlers with arguably their best or second best guy Matt McKinney added to the retuning placer/qualifier list. I believe if I can remember correctly from semi state last year they have 3-4 ticket round returnees too.

WC will be very hard to beat this year. Of course EMD will be right there with them but WC will be too tough up high with Tonte, Abbott-Knox and Brogan. Not too many teams realisticly match up well with them. And to top it off, they now have Hall of Famer Coach Tonte at the helm.

Warren actually has

106- Keyaun Murphy- qualified for state, but did not participate

113- Skylour Turner- state 7th

126- Joel McGhee- Qualifier

145- Trent Pruit- State 5th

152- Dominic Herrick- State 8th

160- Dexmen Goddard- Qualifier(SS Champ)

195- Tristan Tonte- State 2nd

285- Jaison Brogan- Qualifier

4 placers and 4 qualifiers by my count.

And with McKinney I believe they should be higher. It is going to be hard to beat this team in a dual.

Is it really a nice representation for Indiana though? I mean sure we have our stand out wrestlers, but in the big scope of things we only have 10 ranked wrestlers averaging a ranking of 8.9, and 2 ranked teams( #25, #42), one of which doesn't have any national rank wrestlers on their team. So yeah sure if you want to say that as a state, we are growing and become stronger thats great, but I certainly hope we're not satisfied with these mediocore numbers. One high school by its self has 6 nationally ranked wrestles, we have 10 as a state. So lets stop accepting anything except the best and keep growing! #RealityCheck 

Different rules for that school pal. Perhaps getting a clue on the rules that St. John Bosco, St. Eds, and Blair Academy play by before disparaging the accomplishments of Indiana wrestling should be paramount to you prior to coming on a message board and posting your 3rd post. I can tell you will add a great deal of content to the wrestling community. #You'reAwesome

Sack of Potatoes I agree with you don't let him get ya down. You are not "disparaging" Indiana's accomplishments you are being realistic we have our 2 solid kids at an elite national level and a handful of kids breaking in to the rankings. The only real improvement i see numbers wise is that we 2 teams instead of the typical one we tend to have. I feel A few Indiana teams can hang with some of those ranked team but we have to go out and beat em to get that recognition. 

I mean look at our Fargo and Duals Record we are not an elite state by any means and I would hope that is our goal as a state to reach that level. 

#quitstealingthebrownsburgvsavongimmick

Make no mistake, I think WC will be a very good team that will likely contend for the title.  Just not seeing the justification for being ranked #25 in the country at this point.

MD did lose a lot in the upper weights, but they typically reload.  last year's 106 lost to Mills from Brownsburg 2-0 in the ticket round at SS, Orth who was out injured last year was a SSQ as a soph, he should be back this season.  Mitch Lehman was a SSQ as a frosh is still around, hopefully he finds the right weight class this season.  Wilderman is a SSQ at 220.  Just saying the cupboard isn't bare at MD.

These are preseason rankings, without MD's replacements doing anything in-state or nationally it is hard to justify them being ranked much higher. With nine state level guys in the preseason this team could go down as one of the best in history.  As far as the national ranking, I would say you should do research on the 40 teams and you could see some similarities. If you think state rankings are hard, try doing them nationally.

Sack of Potatoes I agree with you don't let him get ya down. You are not "disparaging" Indiana's accomplishments you are being realistic we have our 2 solid kids at an elite national level and a handful of kids breaking in to the rankings. 

Only 2? 4 guys in the top 3?

Red ranked #1

Lee ranked #2

Rypel ranked #3

Streck ranked #2

Congrats! I didn't realize you invented Twitter....

Thought that was common knowledge

Only 2? 4 guys in the top 3?

Red ranked #1

Lee ranked #2

Rypel ranked #3

Streck ranked #2

Yeah overlooked the big guys Blake is ranked lower in flo and Streck just havn't seen compete nationally but would probably do fine

similar to the Reece, Angel, Maurer, Tsirtsis era.

Thanks for the snide comments, Y2.  Typical.  I see you that you failed to make such a comment when a previous poster mentioned that WC has 3-4 other ticket round returnees.  I guess those guys haven't done anything in state either.  I ask a simple question about why WC is ranked 17 spots ahead of MD and get smart ass comments back from the guy that runs the board.  Like I said, typical of you.  

If you read my previous post, you would see that I said "In the big picture it doesn't mean anything."

Different rules for that school pal. Perhaps getting a clue on the rules that St. John Bosco, St. Eds, and Blair Academy play by before disparaging the accomplishments of Indiana wrestling should be paramount to you prior to coming on a message board and posting your 3rd post. I can tell you will add a great deal of content to the wrestling community. #You'reAwesome

They may have different rules, but why in Indiana can't we adjust our rules to be the same as theres? Why do they automatically gain an unfair advantage against us? if we want to be elite we should give ourselves the same opportunities . I wasn't saying what we have accomplished thus far was "weak" or "mediocre" I'm extremely proud of all the accomplishments. I just don't want us to be satisfied. Also to attack me at a personal level questioning what i add to the wrestling commutity based off of what i post on a web page, really shows your character as a person, i was just pointing out where we stand as a state. 

Edited by Sack Of Potatoes

Thanks for the snide comments, Y2.  Typical.  I see you that you failed to make such a comment when a previous poster mentioned that WC has 3-4 other ticket round returnees.  I guess those guys haven't done anything in state either.  I ask a simple question about why WC is ranked 17 spots ahead of MD and get smart ass comments back from the guy that runs the board.  Like I said, typical of you.  

If you read my previous post, you would see that I said "In the big picture it doesn't mean anything."

Snide comments? You come HERE asking about rankings for another website acting like it is a travesty that Mater Dei is ranked lower. Do you really think anyone here knows much, if anything about those 16 teams between Warren and Mater Dei? We don't do Intermat national rankings, thus it is kinda difficult to know the exact reasoning. If I had to guess the number of returning wrestlers and their QUALITY make a really big deal.

Nine returning state qualifiers is pretty big in any state, but even more so in one with a single class, no wrestle-backs, and a historically top 10 as a state. In my short memory  I don't recall ANY team returning nine guys with state experience.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.