Lets not ruin the gift

Salinas

New Jersey allows 24 competitors per weight to qualify for state. They also do not have the disparity between big and small school success as we do.  If big and small schools had at least somewhat close in the number of state qualifiers it would be hard to argue class wrestling.

24 qualifiers for state is the answer I was looking for thank you. Also thanks everyone for not hurling insults I will now back away quietly ;D

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again you are just using numbers vs numbers  if you had a group of 1000 people and you split them into two groups    one group of 100 people and one group of 900 people  the numbers will always favor the group that is larger  (you then say that shows we need classes)  but once again that is the way it should fall  if they had a chess tournament the final 10 guys would be 9 from the large group and 1 from the small      which would be comparable to the size of the group  not unfair

Im trying to understand Madtown Logic : So you're saying If we take a sample size of 1000 divide it into two groups of 90% vs 10% and the large group of 900 win 90% of the time, then the large group won more beacuse they had a larger group.    But we have a smaller group of 10 and divide it into groups of 9 to 1 and the larger group wins 90%of the time and they won more but in a ratio of the sample size then thats fair.  And that class Chessing would kill the sport and by classing it would produce less Chess All-Americans.

Im trying to understand Madtown Logic : So you're saying If we take a sample size of 1000 divide it into two groups of 90% vs 10% and the large group of 900 win 90% of the time, then the large group won more beacuse they had a larger group.    But we have a smaller group of 10 and divide it into groups of 9 to 1 and the larger group wins 90%of the time and they won more but in a ratio of the sample size then thats fair.  And that class Chessing would kill the sport and by classing it would produce less Chess All-Americans.

doesnt have to be chess  it could be underwater basket weaving.  the fact is that the percentages match the numbers  now if you told me that the large group was winning 99 percent of the time there may be a concern to class the event  or if that event happened to be a battle royal of 900 vs 100 (team sports)    but if we had classes in indiana basketball in 1954  the movie hoosiers would never have been made (not that i care because i hate basketball  just sayin)

doesnt have to be chess  it could be underwater basket weaving.  the fact is that the percentages match the numbers  now if you told me that the large group was winning 99 percent of the time there may be a concern to class the event  or if that event happened to be a battle royal of 900 vs 100 (team sports)    but if we had classes in indiana basketball in 1954  the movie hoosiers would never have been made (not that i care because i hate basketball  just sayin)

Say we had a "Roller Derby" battle royal that started with 312 team,  say we divideded the groups into 104 teams each or groups A, B and C.  What would happen if Group A and B won 98.5%% of the time and Group C won 1.5% if the time.  Would there be concern to class  this roller derby event?

Say we had a "Roller Derby" battle royal that started with 312 team,  say we divideded the groups into 104 teams each or groups A, B and C.  What would happen if Group A and B won 98.5%% of the time and Group C won 1.5% if the time.  Would there be concern to class  this roller derby event?

of course  roller derby is a team event

Salinas,

Great post, class wrestling is silly and unnecessary in our state. If you have ever wrestled in Indiana you understand the value of having a single class, and the work it takes to be successful. Going to other states and laughing at them because they crowned 5 state champs at each weight, knowing the legitimacy of Indiana's single class is much tougher. Creating classes takes away from our sport in Indiana, I truly hope they keep the system the way it currently is, keeping our state finals the single greatest amateur sporting spectacle there is.

I think what madtown is getting at is that if you have 2 classes for wrestling, while you would have half of the schools in one class and half of the schools in the other, based on the enrollment numbers you would have something like 75% of the students in the one class and 25% in the other. So it's reasonable to expect close to 75% of the state qualifiers to come from the bigger class since they have 75% of the talent pool to draw from.

Salinas,

Great post, class wrestling is silly and unnecessary in our state. If you have ever wrestled in Indiana you understand the value of having a single class, and the work it takes to be successful. Going to other states and laughing at them because they crowned 5 state champs at each weight, knowing the legitimacy of Indiana's single class is much tougher. Creating classes takes away from our sport in Indiana, I truly hope they keep the system the way it currently is, keeping our state finals the single greatest amateur sporting spectacle there is.

im glad someone understands  doesnt all have to be about numbers      how many indiana guys go to camps and kick the crap out of state placers from other states even though they never made it to state themselves.  i have myself had this happen and have heard of others in the same boat.  when i was in high school i wrestled a two time runner up from south oldham KY and trashed him.  not once was i ever thinking  "man i should move to KY so i can be a state champion." 

I think what madtown is getting at is that if you have 2 classes for wrestling, while you would have half of the schools in one class and half of the schools in the other, based on the enrollment numbers you would have something like 75% of the students in the one class and 25% in the other. So it's reasonable to expect close to 75% of the state qualifiers to come from the bigger class since they have 75% of the talent pool to draw from.

thanks    man math is so crazy sometimes  oh no its pretty straight forward

Currently, according to NFHS data, 320 of our 412 schools offer wrestling which is an increase of 10 or so over the past 4-5 years (if the data is accurate).  During that same time period the actual number of participants has gone down by about 100.

How many of the 80 or so schools w/o wrestling are just too small to support a program?  What is the reasonable number of students required to support a program?  Is there any data to suggest that the number of wrestlers increase when two or more small schools consolidate (i.e. school is now large enough to offer wrestling)?

What is more important?  The gift of the state wrestling finals or the gift of wrestling itself?  How do you bring more kids to wrestling?  The idea to class the individual tournament has nothing to do with the selfish idea of what a fan wants and everything to do with the desire to bring more kids into the sport.  You have to divorce yourself from the love of the specific event when debating the merits of class wrestling.  The merits should be debated solely on what is best for the sport of wrestling.

Stating the obvious here, but I would suggest that what is best for wrestling is more participation.  I am not sure anyone knows for sure but class wrestling probably won't hurt participation.  How about some ideas to increase participation?  If you don't think class wrestling gets it done, give some alternate solutions.

Currently, according to NFHS data, 320 of our 412 schools offer wrestling which is an increase of 10 or so over the past 4-5 years (if the data is accurate).  During that same time period the actual number of participants has gone down by about 100.

How many of the 80 or so schools w/o wrestling are just too small to support a program?  What is the reasonable number of students required to support a program?  Is there any data to suggest that the number of wrestlers increase when two or more small schools consolidate (i.e. school is now large enough to offer wrestling)?

What is more important?  The gift of the state wrestling finals or the gift of wrestling itself?  How do you bring more kids to wrestling?  The idea to class the individual tournament has nothing to do with the selfish idea of what a fan wants and everything to do with the desire to bring more kids into the sport.  You have to divorce yourself from the love of the specific event when debating the merits of class wrestling.  The merits should be debated solely on what is best for the sport of wrestling.

Stating the obvious here, but I would suggest that what is best for wrestling is more participation.  I am not sure anyone knows for sure but class wrestling probably won't hurt participation.  How about some ideas to increase participation?  If you don't think class wrestling gets it done, give some alternate solutions.

Sadly according to some they would rather have 10 schools with wrestling and a single class championship than have 400 schools with wrestling and a multiple class championship. 

See this post for a class hater saying if you ain't good just drop the sport

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,30299.msg204349.html#msg204349

Well said.  No one is debating whether or not the current state finals are awesome.  The debate is what's better for the sport.

You were right all along. The best argument you can make is whether or not YOU will be attending a classed event. When you stated that you would not attend the event I realized how dumb it was. Sorry for wasting your time.

i never argued the point that me being there would change anything  i go to state for the emotion    if you take that away  i can watch every match from home without spending a couple hundred dollars in a weekend    if there are wrestlers there from madison of course i will be there though    you acting like a baby is pretty entertaining    think we could put that under the lights?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.