Injury time

digninrk

They should have the same rule as in college where if there is injury time the opponent has choice of position.

best response I have seen in regards to this matter. Maybe that would force the wrestlers to battle through their fatigue(if in fact that's what it is).

My feeling, both as a wrestler (Ex) and a physician, is that if you have a chronic illness, it is your responsibility to be as healthy as possible when you take to the mat.  Your asthma, in this case, needs to be under control and at the very least, use your rescue inhaler prior to starting the match.  Once the match is started, either he can wrestle or he can't.  Taking a break in the third period to take an additional couple whiffs on his inhaler is taking advantage of our natural inclination to accomodate.  For one thing, using it frequently is potentially dangerous, and could be construed as a performance enhancing drug as albuterol also increases muscle tone and may increase reaction time.  Wikopedia lists Beta 2 agonists, of which albuterol is a member, as a banned drug in the Olympics.  I think some allowance can be made for asthmatics but I am not sure about that.  Any inhalation taken prior to the start of the match is still very much effective for a six minute match.  How ridiculous would it be to stop a 5000 meter run at the 4000 mark so that one of the runners could catch their breath and use an inhaler.

I think a distinction can be made between injury time (an unexpected and reversible incapacitation) and a chronic illness which can be anticipated and treated adequately prior to competition.  In the end we will be doing our wrestlers a favor as this case shows, it is either a manipulation of injury time or wrestling in the presence of a dangerous and inadequately treated disease.

Anyone from Northern Indiana has witnessed what we are talking about.  My feeling, both as a wrestler (Ex) and a physician, is that if you have a chronic illness, it is your responsibility to be as healthy as possible when you take to the mat.  Your asthma, in this case, needs to be under control and at the very least, use your rescue inhaler prior to starting the match.  Once the match is started, either he can wrestle or he can't.  Taking a break in the third period to take an additional couple whiffs on his inhaler is taking advantage of our natural inclination to accomodate.  For one thing, using it frequently is potentially dangerous, and could be construed as a performance enhancing drug as albuterol also increases muscle tone and may increase reaction time.  Wikopedia lists Beta 2 agonists, of which albuterol is a member, as a banned drug in the Olympics.  I think some allowance can be made for asthmatics but I am not sure about that.  Any inhalation taken prior to the start of the match is still very much effective for a six minute match.  How ridiculous would it be to stop a 5000 meter run at the 4000 mark so that one of the runners could catch their breath and use an inhaler.

I think a distinction can be made between injury time (an unexpected and reversible incapacitation) and a chronic illness which can be anticipated and treated adequately prior to competition.  In the end we will be doing our wrestlers a favor as this case shows, it is either a manipulation of injury time or wrestling in the presence of a dangerous and inadequately treated disease.

Well done! Is proof of illness ever required?? Anyone can get an inhaler call injury time use it and get a breather. It's not right... period. Using an inhaler prior to the match is one thing. Stopping the match to use it is quite another....

I think that the problem with going to the college rule we might have kids wrestling through injuries and hurting themselves even more...remeber these are HIGH SCHOOL kids 14-18 years old...This will most likely be a monkey in high school wrestling for the rest of time

Possibly, I have a freshman wrestling in High School, it may keep others from pushing the rule. example out of shape and using injury time to rest. Im not in favor of a boy getting hurt just to save his position.

I also would like to see it the same as college. In four years of varsity I never took blood time...

Are you saying that you have a problem with taking blood time?  I have never had any issue with blood time, it is just injury time that bothers me.  Probably do not have a problem with it because my nose bled in about 1/4 of my high school matches. 

More than 10 times at state there was a situation that an athletic trainer went to the "injured" wrestler and was sent away while the wrestler was sitting on the mat drinking water.  I am not saying that people do not have real injuries when sitting on the mat but all of those times?  I can almost be positive that they all were not injured. 

Taking IT for non injury situations is unethical plain and simple. 

I think it's important to point out that almost all of the aforementioned "injuries" are taken when it is a one or two point match as well as in the third period. I did not see any wrestler have an asthma attack or take injury time when they were comfortably ahead or the match was in-hand. I could be wrong though...

Blood Time is one thing, I have seen the abuse of "Injury Time" get worse every year the last few. The inhaler thing needs to go. Like Doc says before match and thats it. I have seen this already in post season tournaments being abused. Points or position is the best way to get it under contral. Kids are coached to do this and it needs stopped.

I think it's important to point out that almost all of the aforementioned "injuries" are taken when it is a one or two point match as well as in the third period. I did not see any wrestler have an asthma attack or take injury time when they were comfortably ahead or the match was in-hand. I could be wrong though...

One of the triggers of an asthma attack is an extreme emotional arousal such as anger or fear. This would be experienced much more in close matches than blowouts.

My problem is when a wrestler uses injury time to avoid a pin.  Should be at least an additional 3pts on top of 3pt NF if this occurs along with choice.

I have to agree with this one.  This happened a couple of times this year in big matches to our guys.

Top guy is turning the bottom guy.  Instead of bottom guy going over. (He is making a choice not to go over)

He is in no way being kept from turning.  Starts waving his finger for injury time.  Bottom guy avoides giving up any

points.  This does not seam right to me.  I believe the ref. has to stop the match.  He really doesn't have a choice.

But he should be able to award back points in this case.

how can he award points that weren't scored???  Because i am in on a double leg and looks like i am going to score and the guy calls for injury time the ref isn't going to give me a takedown!!!  Why don't we just start scoring points when we finish out of bounds to cuz if i had an extra foot of mat space i would have scored.....or if he wouldn't have scrambled and carried me out of bounds i would have scored!!!  Can't give back points that aren't earned they could roll thru and not get the count to get nf!!!  I do think the inhalers need to go during matches and i think that starts at practice....if they can go thru a two hr practice they can go thru a 6 minute match!!!

Blood Time is one thing, I have seen the abuse of "Injury Time" get worse every year the last few. The inhaler thing needs to go. Like Doc says before match and thats it. I have seen this already in post season tournaments being abused. Points or position is the best way to get it under control. Kids are coached to do this and it needs stopped.

I have said it before and will say it again. My youngest son is truly gifted in his athleticism, though his asthma just started acting up again. He is prescribed an inhaler an given a notice that prior to his match OR any physical activity, he is to take his Puffs 15 prior. This has seemed to work well with him. There is no excuse for stopping a match in progress. Get yourself ready for the battle and go at that!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.