Best State final matches!

Wrestlingfan182

Recent Finals matches I can still recall enjoying the action in

Anthony Williams vs. Aaron Sessa (some wicked scrambles to not give up a takedown)

Caleb Schmitt vs. David Zimmer (solid action and a great ending..I was in the suite with some of Zimmers group so that helped add to the excitement too)

Campbell vs. Petrov (great action and you could see the moment where Petrov was in the zone and knew he had Campbell dead to rights)

The combined Eppert vs. Wright Finals Trilogy (Everyone lives a good trilogy and this finals series along deserves a collectors box set, with the bonus four disk full of additional match coverage  :) )

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1967 154 Mickey Janes, Anderson-James Blackwell, Shortridge.  Janes was 145 State Champ in 65 and 145 runnerup in 66. Blackwell was 154 State Champ in 66.  Janes intentionally bumps up to 154 to potentionaly meet Blackwell at the finals in 67.  The bracketing works out and James takes it 4-3.  On a side note Janes had only one good eye. Blackwells Shortridge team takes the state championship.

2008 171 lb. Semi-Final: Cooper Samuels (Floyd Central) v. Jacob Blackwell (Roncalli)

I remember the crowd constantly changing from boos to cheers.

2008 171 lb. Semi-Final: Cooper Samuels (Floyd Central) v. Jacob Blackwell (Roncalli)

I remember the crowd constantly changing from boos to cheers.

That was great in the 4 state titles Lance Ellis won was any close?

Danny Williams run in the state finals after breaking his leg and coming back to win 2nd title was pretty amazing .

His Friday night match was the best match he had.  He came in as a 4 and met an unbeaten Justin Mora.  Awesome match, which I thought was won by Mora in regulation on a late takedown, but the ref and history says otherwise. Great match nonetheless.

WHAT?????? Please share this tale with the younger generation!!!!! ive been in wrestling for 9 year now and never heard about this

I think you're taking this literally.  What happened was that Williams won it as a junior, broke his leg at the start of his senior year, came back late in the year with the leg not 100%, and then went on to win a second title.  He didn't have a broken leg when he won it, which is what I suspect you were thinking.

I think you're taking this literally.  What happened was that Williams won it as a junior, broke his leg at the start of his senior year, came back late in the year with the leg not 100%, and then went on to win a second title.  He didn't have a broken leg when he won it, which is what I suspect you were thinking.

oh ok, i thought u ment he broke it on friday night and still won. i did hear about a guy way back when in PA broke his foot tuesday in gym class and still got second that weekend at state

Not a finals match.

You mean it wasn't a championship match.

Many of the matches listed so far were semi-finals. 

State finals, as stated in the title of the the thread, encapsulates the entire state weekend, not just the championships.

Williams vs Sessa was the last great one I saw, it seems there is always one or two each year that get the blood pumping! Sessa would seem to have Williams down then Williams would do this unbelievable bridge to come out of it the whole match was a spectacle I saw Sessa the next day at the Circle Center Mall I wanted to go speak to him and tell him what a great match it was but he was with family and I figured I'd just leave him alone. Being  a MD fan I get treated to some good wrestling we don't always have one in the finals so when we don't it sure is fun to focus on the wrestling at hand instead of being nervous about how our guy is going to do. This time of year is always in my mind when my boys get old enough to sit through a few hours of wrestling it will be a fun weekend! For now I'll just keep watching on the computer. Have fun guys!

As for State Finals recently, the 2006 215lb finals match of Pat Day and Cody Johnson was pretty exciting. Lots of throws from start to finish. I think, if I remember correctly, (don't quote me on this) Pat won while fighting off his back as time expired in the third period. 

David Maldonado vs James Leavell '94....David was senior returning state champ, James was returning state runner up.  Their only losses in two years were to each other and James went on to win another title his senior year.  Both High school National Champions as well. James returns the previous year loss to David.  Lots of hype and awesome watching those two go at it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.