Best State final matches!

Wrestlingfan182

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David Maldonado vs James Leavell '94....David was senior returning state champ, James was returning state runner up.  Their only losses in two years were to each other and James went on to win another title his senior year.  Both High school National Champions as well. James returns the previous year loss to David.  Lots of hype and awesome watching those two go at it.

Man... to be the guy that got third that year.... Oh wait, that was you wasn't it...

You mean it wasn't a championship match.

Many of the matches listed so far were semi-finals. 

State finals, as stated in the title of the the thread, encapsulates the entire state weekend, not just the championships.

It wasn't but it should have been and was wrestled as if it was a championship match... Best match I've seen regardless of the setting.

David Maldonado vs James Leavell '94....David was senior returning state champ, James was returning state runner up.  Their only losses in two years were to each other and James went on to win another title his senior year.  Both High school National Champions as well. James returns the previous year loss to David.  Lots of hype and awesome watching those two go at it.

James had the nastiest low single in the state he hit like 6 times that match great match

You mean it wasn't a championship match.

Many of the matches listed so far were semi-finals. 

State finals, as stated in the title of the the thread, encapsulates the entire state weekend, not just the championships.

I guess your interpretation is different from my interpretation.

Getting close to prime time, what is the best match you have ever seen at state? Kieffer vs Hawkins

This match hands down -  http://www.ihigh.com/hoosierauthority/video_893317.html

Had not seen a more furious finish by two very good wrestlers, who just happened to have something like 150+ wins a piece by the end of their Junior year.

Another finish I remember was either 1985 or 1986, Oliver Richmond from Fort Wayne wrestling Tom Mageria from

Merrillville in state 112lb finals. 5-5 match with Richmond down with two seconds left, from the whistle, hits the fastest combination standup to switch I have ever seen to win his second title.  The crowd was in awe. 

Petrov vs Campbell. Also it wasn't a final but Vega vs Schafer quarterfinal was a good one.

I was wondering if I was the only one to remember this match. Vega got underhooks and put him to his back to win at the last second!!! Market Square went nuts. Doherty(sp) vs Lund. Lund gets hit in two headlocks and still almost wins the match. Ayersman vs Campbell. All heart.

Actually....Williams broke his ankle 2 weeks before sectionals.  He could not even take a shot until the week of semi state.  He hit a standing gramby on Mora with 2 seconds left in double OT to get the escape and the win on Friday night. 

I would love to see Cashe vs. Tsirtsis semi's again.  I think everybody in the arena may have been watching that one.  That match was amazing for a freshman.  Cashe was on fire that year.  Too bad it was not under the lights.

Getting close to prime time, what is the best match you have ever seen at state? Kieffer vs Hawkins

Another good one - 1982 - 1983 - 119lbs - Barry Hart from Elkhart Central rode one move

all the way to a state title against Mike Silverman, Carmel 10-8. (and every match at State) 

Hart wasn't the greatest on his feet, or on top, but he would lie-in-waiting to hit his Gramby Roll into a Peterson combination for 5 points every time. Every freaking match, everyone in the gym new it was coming, and he would just bait guys, and then boom,

he hipped out, grab they guys hand tightwasting him, right into his Gramby, where he ended up with the guy

looking at the lights and Hart sitting hold his arm and leg. I think he purposely let guys take him down to hit that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.