Again, that pesky wrestleback thing

notlong2go

Quote from: 1oldwrestler on Yesterday at 12:30:19 PM

What confuses me is the "no wrestlebacks" crowd thinks that to have wrestlebacks means supporting the belief that all kids should get a trophy mentality. Im not sure where this comes from. I, for one, am against the helicoptor parental belief that all kids deserve recognition but advocating wrestlebacks is not even close to "protecting Johnny's psyche" at all costs. What i want iw to see the very best going head to head at state and wrestlebacks is the only way that can be achieved.

I agree.  Having wrestlebacks makes it HARDER to make state.  Not easier.  Wrestlebacks means more wrestling.  More tough matches.  Wrestlebacks make it harder to EARN your spot.

I support wrestlebacks because I want all the kids to earn it on the mat and not just get a easy draw.

These 2 quotes were on another thread. They are pretty on the spot along with a quote about NOT giving everyone a medal. Why do people balk at others opinions on this subject? We do know that we will never see wrestlebacks, but arent we all tired of seeing some kids get to state and even place, when we all know there are better kids not even getting past the ticket round? Its taken me years to realize that unless you are crowned CHAMPION, you might not even be a top 15 kid in your weight class. I think that is one of the reasons D1 coaches do not attend our tournament (our champs are the best, but all the top kids might not be represented in the weight class). Our system is exciting , but brutal. But we want to see the best at state and we all know that just doesnt happen all the time.

Totally agree.

I have been going to the FW SS for the past 15 years, and every year you hear someone say, "If he can draw the Peru champ, he has a chance to get in." (Not trying to pick on you Peru regional guys, but traditionally your regional is the weakest performing).

You never hear someone say, "Well, I think he is one of the top 4 guys there." that's because it does not matter who is top 4, it only matters what draw you get.

Occasionally, you are much better off getting 4th at Regional than getting 2nd. Just depends whom you draw.

Hey "No Wrestleback" crowd:

Shouldn't we do away w/ advancing multiple people to state? Go along w/ other "team" sports in Indiana, one and done if you lose.

only have 4 at state, or merge semi-states and have 2 semi-states and then you can just have a one match state finals.

We could promote it like boxing or UFC... weigh ins w/ a crowd watching, have Y2 and Karl has Goldberg and Rogan.

It could dramatically change the sport!

I think we just need to take steps towards wrestlebacks...ive said it before ill say it again i think our next "mini goal" should be the implementation of a true fourth at semistae and regionals...since we wrestle back for 5th make it worth something. If the 4th place wrestler andf the 5th place wrestler didnt face each other they wrestle, winner advances...it would at least make wrestling back for 5th seem like you have at least a slightly better chance to advance as opposed to wrestling for an alternate spot and then "Hoping" someone gets sick, hurt, misses weight, etc.

Totally agree.

I have been going to the FW SS for the past 15 years, and every year you hear someone say, "If he can draw the Peru champ, he has a chance to get in." (Not trying to pick on you Peru regional guys, but traditionally your regional is the weakest performing).

You never hear someone say, "Well, I think he is one of the top 4 guys there." that's because it does not matter who is top 4, it only matters what draw you get.

Occasionally, you are much better off getting 4th at Regional than getting 2nd. Just depends whom you draw.

That's the same thing we say about the Logansport Regional when you're at the Merrillville SS

Totally agree.

Would be interesting to look at how many Peru champs have lost in the ticket round over the past couple of years.

The interesting thing to watch though is a kid from a small school who has an undefeated record and everyone says well he comes from a small school and was Logansport regional champ and then he goes on to take 1st or 3rd at state. That kid from McCutcheon last year was awesome to watch.

The interesting thing to watch though is a kid from a small school who has an undefeated record and everyone says well he comes from a small school and was Logansport regional champ and then he goes on to take 1st or 3rd at state. That kid from McCutcheon last year was awesome to watch.

McCutcheon is far from being a small school.

Does anyone know if the IHSAA is collecting data on the recent changes concerning wrestlebacks that have been made?  Have they voiced their opinion yet on if the change to take four out of regional has been good or bad?  If changing the wrestkeback to 5th/6th at state has been good or bad?  I ask because if all of these changes are going well and have been deemed as good changes, then maybe we will be able to implement more in the near future.

McCutcheon is the 42nd biggest school in the state or about the top 10% of all schools.

It just wouldn't seem like it. Well Bremen is a small school and so is Culver so I will use Hurford, Harvey and Hall as my examples. But the point is no one knew about the Giffin kid until he beat Hartman at Semi State last year.

we need to make shirts for state and quietly speak in unison....

Hey IHSAA:

#WRESTLEBACKS

I'll buy one and wear it.  You could put the names of the fallen wrestlers this year with bad draws.

I don't understand the thinking that the IHSAA is like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz. You can't change them!?  Why? who are they to highjack our best wrestling,for the sake of getting home in time to watch the new episode of dance moms. If thats the case. NOTE: If a parent is complaining it takes to long have them forfiet thier kids matches andGOHOME ! Lame excuse.  The five matches aday rule is good but why not a two day 16 team sectional with full wrestbacks, essentially adouble elimination bracket. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.