Again, that pesky wrestleback thing

notlong2go

Totally agree.

I have been going to the FW SS for the past 15 years, and every year you hear someone say, "If he can draw the Peru champ, he has a chance to get in." (Not trying to pick on you Peru regional guys, but traditionally your regional is the weakest performing).

You never hear someone say, "Well, I think he is one of the top 4 guys there." that's because it does not matter who is top 4, it only matters what draw you get.

Occasionally, you are much better off getting 4th at Regional than getting 2nd. Just depends whom you draw.

Funny we say that next week, if only we can draw a Ft Wayne guy!

Quote from: 1oldwrestler on Yesterday at 12:30:19 PM

What confuses me is the "no wrestlebacks" crowd thinks that to have wrestlebacks means supporting the belief that all kids should get a trophy mentality. Im not sure where this comes from. I, for one, am against the helicoptor parental belief that all kids deserve recognition but advocating wrestlebacks is not even close to "protecting Johnny's psyche" at all costs. What i want iw to see the very best going head to head at state and wrestlebacks is the only way that can be achieved.

I agree.  Having wrestlebacks makes it HARDER to make state.  Not easier.  Wrestlebacks means more wrestling.  More tough matches.  Wrestlebacks make it harder to EARN your spot.

I support wrestlebacks because I want all the kids to earn it on the mat and not just get a easy draw.

These 2 quotes were on another thread. They are pretty on the spot along with a quote about NOT giving everyone a medal. Why do people balk at others opinions on this subject? We do know that we will never see wrestlebacks, but arent we all tired of seeing some kids get to state and even place, when we all know there are better kids not even getting past the ticket round? Its taken me years to realize that unless you are crowned CHAMPION, you might not even be a top 15 kid in your weight class. I think that is one of the reasons D1 coaches do not attend our tournament (our champs are the best, but all the top kids might not be represented in the weight class). Our system is exciting , but brutal. But we want to see the best at state and we all know that just doesnt happen all the time.

in order to be a champion u have to win your matches.... so why have wrestle backs ... if u dont win u dont go so thats when u dedicate your self to get better so that it doesnt matter about the draw.

Observation from today's wrestling at Ft Wayne. I've always felt this is a well ran and finished at a decent time. This year was, like always ran extremely well (Snider High School). But the last matched finished around 8:20.. Now this was only wrestling back through 5/6. The chance of having a full wrestle back to for true 3rd and 4th is inevitable in one day of wrestling..Makes me feel like we are further away from this ever happening. How did other semi states do on time and some thoughts about the wrestle backs..

I would tell you stevens103 its not just about the champion. As a wrestling fan i would like to know the top 16 wrestlers in each wieght class in specific order, 1-2-3-4=5-etc. when the state tournament is over,based on on how they wrestled , not by thier draw. I understand there are difficultys in full wreste backs in the whole state tourney, sec.,reg. s.s. but i think we could figure it out.  Two day 16 man sec. and reg. brackets with full wrestle backs. It wont take away from the sport it will draw fans in. gauranteed.

I would tell you stevens103 its not just about the champion. As a wrestling fan i would like to know the top 16 wrestlers in each wieght class in specific order, 1-2-3-4=5-etc. when the state tournament is over,based on on how they wrestled , not by thier draw. I understand there are difficultys in full wreste backs in the whole state tourney, sec.,reg. s.s. but i think we could figure it out.  Two day 16 man sec. and reg. brackets with full wrestle backs. It wont take away from the sport it will draw fans in. gauranteed.

At the Evansville SS the stands were nearly empty during the HWT final. Not sure how adding hours of wrestling is gonna increase fans. Full wrestlebacks at SS will never happen because it would require Friday night wrestling and paying officials more money. 2 things the ihsaa isn't willing to do.

At the Evansville SS the stands were nearly empty during the HWT final. Not sure how adding hours of wrestling is gonna increase fans. Full wrestlebacks at SS will never happen because it would require Friday night wrestling and paying officials more money. 2 things the ihsaa isn't willing to do.

wrestlebacks could be started after the second rd of ss (just like it is now for determining 5/6) It would add very little time (maybe an extra hour?) to the day.

wrestlebacks could be started after the second rd of ss (just like it is now for determining 5/6) It would add very little time (maybe an extra hour?) to the day.

The post I was responding to said full wrestlebacks but my point was it adding fans. Since it wouldn't add any wrestlers to the SS I don't see how it would add any fans in general but if the building is pretty empty at 7:30 what would it be like at 8:30?? You can argue that wrestlebacks are good for the kids sake but don't argue that it will increase fans. Bottom line is that full wrestlebacks aren't going to happen.

I absolutely think wrestlebacks would be a great thing to implement. No way a great wrestler like Forrest Glogouski, ranked 4th in state, shouldn't make it through to state. Jones from Concordia also pinned Reed from Muncie South at 170 at Concordia's Wild Bill tournament this year and Reed is going to state while Jones is the alternate.

The state finals do not pretend to bring the top 16 in the state.

It is a representation of the top wrestlers from each area of the state. Wrestlers that perform well in regional are rewarded most often with a better draw than someone that performs poorer at another regional.

It's like this in every single IHSAA sport except those that have benchmark times, like track and swimming

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.