Howe's only loss in H.S.

Drooke

For those of you watching the broadcast how cool was it for the announcers to talk about Howe's high school record. They mentioned he had one loss and even said it was his freahman year in the finals.

They totally dropped the ball though on not mentioning who it was to.

The only other 2009 Finalist.

It was (to me) a potenially great Indiana moment.

The Big 10 staff dropped that same ball.  I'm glad someone else besides me caught that one as a great fact that should have been added in.  Maybe someone will catch it by the finals tomorrow.

2004-05 IHSAA Individual Wrestling State Finals

Feb. 18-19, 2005 | Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN

Championship Match: Reece Humphrey (48-0) Lawrence North (12) def. Andrew Howe (47-1) Hanover Central (9), dec. 5-1.

Howe is the Greatest Indiana Wrestler Ever. None of the 4time state champs wrestled an NCAA AA their freshman year and he was a senior. Let alone maybe a NCAA Champion depending on the finals. Alex's college career has been a disappointment. I'm not putting the kid down at all, but I bet even if you ask him he would say his collgeg career was actually a huge disappointment. Angel is the best right now because he has a NCAA title, but what Howe is doing as a true frosh at 165 is unbelieveble.

Whats even crazier is that when Reece was a freshman he drew Angel Escobedo first round at state @112. Had Reece Been at 103 he probably would had been a 4timer himself.  Hartman was the LN 103 that year.

This is a great example of how it also takes having everything line up just right for someone to be a 4-time champ.  IMO, Tsirtsis as a Freshman would not have beating Gralan Early as a Senior, nor would Mauer as a Freshman have beaten Hernandez as a Junior.  Although, with Jason Tsirtsis beating Cashe this year, I guess neither of them would have been impossible.

I know Alex Tsirtsis didn't have as great of a career as some of us expected, for whatever reason.  I still think he is one of the best ever.  96 career wins at Iowa.  On his feet he may have been the best ever.

I know Alex Tsirtsis didn't have as great of a career as some of us expected, for whatever reason.  I still think he is one of the best ever.  96 career wins at Iowa.  On his feet he may have been the best ever.

it really is a shame that he did not a/a this year.  there is no doubt that he was one of the 8 best wrestlers at that weight this year.  it is funny how the brackets line up sometimes. 

it was just bad luck for alex he lost a close one early in the day and drew into the number 2 seed just luck of the draw look at prader from illinois he had a terrible draw into the number 1 seed beats him and then loses and doesnt even all american

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.