Brackets posted and discussion

Y2CJ41

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raley vs. Kenney quarterfinal too

What about Kieffer vs Raley rd 1? Kieffer beat Johns who beat Raley.......One of these STUDS is odd man out!

naco,

Guess you have Atwood, returning state placer who beat Wedding last year, placing 5th? Tough cookies for Atwood & Duckworth

Its interesting that the Fort Wayne semi-state matches up with the Merrillville semi-state 6 times in the first round.  Shouldn't it be at most 5 times?  It has been like this for the past six years also.

I don't see how you think that there is a maximum number of times 2 semi-states could match up.  On average there is a 1/3 chance that any SS would match up against a particular other semi-state so if you look at that match up over a long enough time period all that means is that the average should come out to 4.67 times (14*1/3).  In any given year there is a chance that FW SS could match up against Merillville SS in every weight class (all 14 of them).  It is not very likely, but it is possible.  Kind of like there is a chance of flipping a coin 14 times and getting all heads (except worse because this would be a 3-sided coin).  I guess I could see your frustration though if it has happened like that 6 years in a row, but I have to believe that it will average out if you stick around long enough.  

idk how much better Lovejoy got this year

didnt he take 8th last year?

anyways, since Napules doesnt have Quiroga on his side, im thinking he could make the finals

Lovejoy is a stud.  I think he will make the finals against Tsirtsis/Quiroga winner.

Raley vs. Kenney quarterfinal too

What about Kieffer vs Raley rd 1? Kieffer beat Johns who beat Raley.......One of these STUDS is odd man out!

naco,

Guess you have Atwood, returning state placer who beat Wedding last year, placing 5th? Tough cookies for Atwood & Duckworth

hey, someone's gotta win right?

im willing the bet Duckworth will make it

and for ALL weight classes, many wrestlers are going to place lower than what they did last year

Kieffer/Raley wont qualify

McGinley/Hall wont qualify

and many excellect wrestlers will fall in the quarters, who argueably should at least make it to semis

IMO, this year is going to be a perfect example of why there should be a second wrestle back round at state

Its interesting that the Fort Wayne semi-state matches up with the Merrillville semi-state 6 times in the first round.  Shouldn't it be at most 5 times?  It has been like this for the past six years also.

I don't see how you think that there is a maximum number of times 2 semi-states could match up.  On average there is a 1/3 chance that any SS would match up against a particular other semi-state so if you look at that match up over a long enough time period all that means is that the average should come out to 4.67 times (14*1/3).  In any given year there is a chance that FW SS could match up against Merillville SS in every weight class (all 14 of them).  It is not very likely, but it is possible.  Kind of like there is a chance of flipping a coin 14 times and getting all heads (except worse because this would be a 3-sided coin).  I guess I could see your frustration though if it has happened like that 6 years in a row, but I have to believe that it will average out if you stick around long enough.  

Each semi-state should see two of the other SS's 5 times, and one 4 times.  The past six years, for Fort Wayne it has been 6 times vs. Merrillville and 4 times vs. Evansvill and New Castle.  The most times you should see a respective semi-state in the first round should be five times.

The draw isn't so random if the same match-ups occur year after year.  Also, if you want to look at it even further, the 189lb bracket at semi-state has been exactly the same the past four years. 

Each semi-state should see two of the other SS's 5 times, and one 4 times.  The past six years, for Fort Wayne it has been 6 times vs. Merrillville and 4 times vs. Evansvill and New Castle.  The most times you should see a respective semi-state in the first round should be five times.

The draw isn't so random if the same match-ups occur year after year.  Also, if you want to look at it even further, the 189lb bracket at semi-state has been exactly the same the past four years. 

Who does this "random" draw? I'm originally from the Merrillville SS and it seems like we saw the same schools a lot first round, I would seriously question the "random" part of the draws.

Y2,

The odds that any one weight class would be drawn up the same way 4 years in a row is 1/81.  There are only 3 different unique ways they can draw each bracket.  Considering that there are 14 brackets to draw up every year means that there is a 14/81= 17 % likelihood that this might happen in one weight class.  Certainly not that unlikely that you should question the randomness.

I guess that the concept of random draw doesn't make sense to alot of people.  It's statistics.  Your logic is only the most likely outcome of a random draw.  It is not the only outcome.  If they were to stop allowing Merrillville semi-state to go against Fort Wayne just because the bracket already came up that way 5 times, the draw would cease to be random.  In a true random draw there is a chance that the Fort Wayne Semistate could go against the Merrillville semi-state in all 14 weight classes.  There is also a possibility that Fort Wayne semi-state and Merrillville semi-state go against each other  in none of the 14 weight classes.  Statistics predicts that over time the results of the random draw should average out to the most likely outcome that you feel should happen each year.  I hope this explanation helps.

OK Y2,

I broke it down for you assuming a true random draw.  Let's just stick with the example of Fortwayne Semi-state vs Merrillville semi-state.  In a true random draw the odds are as follows.  I calculated the odds of each occurence:

# of 1st round matches | probability

-------------------------------------------------------------------

0                                          |    0.34 %

1                                          |    2.40 %

2                                          |    7.79 %

3                                          |    15.59 %

4                                          |    21.43 %

5                                          |    21.43 %

6                                          |    16.07 %

7                                          |    9.18 %

8                                          |    4.02 %

9                                          |    1.34 %

10                                        |    0.33 %

11                                        |    0.061 %

12                                        |    0.0076 %

13                                        |    0.00059 %

14                                        |    0.000021%

That's all I have to say about this.  It is very possible to match up with a given semi-state 6 or 7 times using a random draw. 

OK Y2,

I broke it down for you assuming a true random draw.  Let's just stick with the example of Fortwayne Semi-state vs Merrillville semi-state.  In a true random draw the odds are as follows.  I calculated the odds of each occurence:

# of 1st round matches | probability

-------------------------------------------------------------------

0                                          |     0.34 %

1                                          |     2.40 %

2                                          |     7.79 %

3                                          |     15.59 %

4                                          |     21.43 %

5                                          |     21.43 %

6                                          |    16.07 %

7                                          |    9.18 %

8                                          |    4.02 %

9                                          |    1.34 %

10                                        |    0.33 %

11                                        |    0.061 %

12                                        |    0.0076 %

13                                        |    0.00059 %

14                                        |    0.000021%

That's all I have to say about this.  It is very possible to match up with a given semi-state 6 or 7 times using a random draw. 

Wow thats pretty accurate to a graph I have. But its my odds of pulling a phone number for how many beers Ive had  ;D

Not saying Lovejoy is as good as Napules, Napules has wrestled much tougher competition this year.

But Lovejoy was 7th not 8th.

Napules faced Brandon Harvey first match on Saturday an beat him 7-6 then lost the next two in the championship bracket.

Lovejoy faced Quiroga in the first match Saturday and got pinned with 5 seconds left then beat Brandon Harvey in the final match 5-1 for 7th.

Both went 1-2 on Saturday and both beat the same wrestler, but due to the draw thier final placement was significantly different.

Not saying Lovejoy is as good as Napules, Napules has wrestled much tougher competition this year.

But Lovejoy was 7th not 8th.

Napules faced Brandon Harvey first match on Saturday an beat him 7-6 then lost the next two in the championship bracket.

Lovejoy faced Quiroga in the first match Saturday and got pinned with 5 seconds left then beat Brandon Harvey in the final match 5-1 for 7th.

Both went 1-2 on Saturday and both beat the same wrestler, but due to the draw thier final placement was significantly different.

Napules sees better competition during the season.  Lovejoy sees better competition in the off-season.  Kevinl is correct in that both had very similar performances at state last year.  Should be a great match, if it takes place in the quarters.  I believe they are on the same level, wrestlingwise.

Y2, I know we have the "official" Ihsaa brackets on here, but how bout doing some authentic INDIANAMAT.COM brackets for state including the wrestlers ranking along with the INDIANAMAT.COM logo?

Y2 thank you for the brackets.  One more request, if it is at all possible.  Is there anyway you can make some small note next to each wrestler showing what SS they came from and what place they finished there.  For example Tsirtsis (M1)  or Quiroga (N1) or Jones (E4).  I would really like to be able to see from the brackets what semistate they came from, and what place they finished.  Thank you, if you don't have time to do this or any room for it, it's understandable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.