2nd best program in the state (Last 20 Years)

ENoblewrestling

man tough decision..... i can't even figure it out.... If i go with my biased heart it is the cavemen... but here is what they have done in the last 20 years not including this year....

2 time state champs (1991 and 2008), 2 time runner ups 10 straight team State apperances, 10 straight NIC conference championships (i think they have won about 16 or 17 overall), 9 straight sectional (15 overall), regional (15 overall), semistate championships (11 overall) and 12 individual state championships between 8 wrestlers.

i'd say Belmont and Mishawaka are pretty close... the only difference between them, in my opinion, is that Belmont was at their best in the mid to late nineties and Mishawaka is at their best currently. As a result the people who vote Mishawaka over Belmont probally are doing so because Mishawaka's best years are more current.

I'd go with LN, as they were the only team to knock off EMD during that historic run, plus they were dominant in all four title years.

All told, they won the title 4 times in the past 20 years,  and were runners up twice as well.

Mishawaka has 2 titles and 2 runner-up finishes during the same span.

Bellmont has 1 title and 3 runner-up finishes (once was a tie for 2nd).

ok here is a similar list of LN accomplishments that I gave for mishawaka

15 sectional titles, 11 regional titles, 9 semi state titles, 6 team state apperances, 2 state runner ups, 4 state titles and I believe 16 state championships between 11 wrestlers.

Bellmont...1987-2008

Conference Championships: 21

Sectional Championships: 20

Regional Championships: 18

Semi-State Championships: 16

State Finalists: 5

State Final Four: 5

State Runners-Up: 3

State Championships: 3

104 State Streeters which includes 8 State Champions, 7 State Runners-Up, 12 Thirds, 14 Fourths, 5 Fifths, 10 Sixths, 10 Sevenths, and 1 Eighth

Also from the 1988-89 season through the 2007-08 season...Bellmont's Dual record was 445-39-2 (91.9% winning percentage)  11 of the losses were from 1988-1990

After thinking about it i will tell you the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best in my opinion

2nd Best.... Belmont

3rd Best.... Mishawaka

4th Best.... LN

Although this could change come this year with Mishawaka taking the 2nd spot. However, I think Belmont and Mishawaka have had the team year in and year out as they seem to have made the team state much more often than LN.... LN has more championships but then on the non championship years are down some, whereas Mishawaka and Belmont are almost always state caliber teams.

After thinking about it i will tell you the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best in my opinion

2nd Best.... Belmont

3rd Best.... Mishawaka

4th Best.... LN

Although this could change come this year with Mishawaka taking the 2nd spot. However, I think Belmont and Mishawaka have had the team year in and year out as they seem to have made the team state much more often than LN.... LN has more championships but then on the non championship years are down some, whereas Mishawaka and Belmont are almost always state caliber teams.

It's true that LN has less team state appearances, but they also had a much more difficult road.  At team regionals they had beech grove (which has fallen of as of late, but was extremely good up until about 6 yrs ago) and Cathedral.  At semi-state was Carmel.  For the record, I voted for Portage.

It's true that LN has less team state appearances, but they also had a much more difficult road.  At team regionals they had beech grove (which has fallen of as of late, but was extremely good up until about 6 yrs ago) and Cathedral.  At semi-state was Carmel. 

What a great poll!!!!  I need more stats though. What's the skinny on individual SQs and placewinners at LN?  I'm sure they are impressive too.  They were my first pick when I saw the topic.  I'm votin for LN.  Bellmonts numbers are also WAY up there. I wouldn't think the other teams on the list would be able to come close to those two but I'd like to see em.

well going by the easy draw theory.... then it does not really matter what a team does at teams state unless they win cause teams could get an easy first and second round draw at team state, while others might get a draw against the best team or two in their first round.... point is, i don't think that Mishawaka or Belmont ever made state because they were only decent teams who had an easy draw. Normally in the past 10 years of so (excluding LN's 2 championship years) i think mishawaka and belmont had the better teams, but that is just my opinion.

Also throw in the fact that Mishawaka has 3 coach's trophies in the mix too with all those stats..... I do not know what the other schools have.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.