Stalling

Something needs to be done about wrestlers who wrestle on the edge of the mat. Last 2 years Center Grove  190 against Purdy last year Henry this year and anybody good last year and this year wrestles so you can’t get points against him it is the worst thing to watch. Goes out of bounds probably 10-15 times anytime close to score and stalling is never called until crowd goes crazy for minutes. And officials are so different on calling stalling it needs to be fixed.

I prefer the 1st period stall calls. Presumably early stalls should increase the action later in the match. Wrestling the edge is a technique used by several kids as they simply can "get forced out by action" and not give up points. Should have way more stalls against edge wrestlers in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, MatTime said:

I prefer the 1st period stall calls. Presumably early stalls should increase the action later in the match. Wrestling the edge is a technique used by several kids as they simply can "get forced out by action" and not give up points. Should have way more stalls against edge wrestlers in my opinion. 

“Wrestling the edge” is in the rulebook and is stalling

Stalling and wrestling on the "EOM" has many variable meanings across states. What version do we want to watch in Indiana (or more importantly what do we need in the rulebooks...to compete out of state)? I prefer college out of bounds and aggressive stall calls. 

Edited by bbell

How do you propose this can be corrected.?  And be consistent? The refs are out there doing the best they can I’m sure.. There is so many complaints directed at the refs. They do make mistakes. We all make mistakes. Most of us are not in front of a crowd when we make our mistakes. Again they are doing their best.  I do believe most complaints are not warranted.. I also believe that most coaches understand not every call is right. I bet you most of the calls are. With that being said. If youre not already spending time coaching  or  refereeing  you should start officiating . Do Jr high to get your feet wet. Then move on up to Hugh school level.  It’s a daunting task. Easy to criticize until you put their shoes on. Theres a shortage of refs through out the nation.  Get involved be a part of the solution. 

1 hour ago, bbell said:

Stalling and wrestling on the "EOM" has many variable meanings across states. What version do we want to watch in Indiana (or more importantly what do we need in the rulebooks...to compete out of state)? I prefer college out of bounds and aggressive stall calls. 

When a wrestler winds up off the mat each time another wrestler gets leverage, there should be more aggressive stall calls.  Seen it happen a lot this year.

3 hours ago, bbell said:

I have seen a lot of aggressive stall calls this year… kid gets hit with his first stalling and in less than 5 seconds gets hit with another. When I have seen this happen it’s in the third period when it could/should have been called in the first. I don’t mind the ref being aggressive but I think that’s too aggressive. 

I would say making stalling a one point penalty without it progressing to disqualification so it can be called when it is happening without the Official being concerned that he is going to put himself in position to DQ someone would help.  In my opinion this would put the onus more on the wrestlers.

Edited by Coach Peck

4 hours ago, ALittle said:

I feel like I’ve seen a lot of push outs too. Just pushing someone out isn’t looking to score. 

Pushing or shooting someone out is also stalling. Both wrestlers need to make every effort so remain in bounds. 

11 hours ago, tangarrray said:

Pushing or shooting someone out is also stalling. Both wrestlers need to make every effort so remain in bounds. 

Determining whether a wrestler shoots with the intent of going out of bounds is way to much of a subjective thing, but I do believe the Officials could do better with some of the boundry issues.  I saw a number of instance where one wrestler would not allow the other one to come back in bounds.

Stalling is a subjective call, thus every individual official is going to call it differently at least slightly anyway.

There is no pushout point in Folkstyle. So when should pushing your opponent out of bounds be stalling on the pusher vs the pushed?

IMO...

-If a wrestler backs out without attempting to push back or circle back - then stalling on the pushed wrestler.

-If the pushed wrestler pushes back or attempts to circle back & the pusher never attempts a slide-by, go-behind, elbow-pass, duck-under, high-crotch etc. - then stalling on the pusher. Just being stronger than your opponent & capable of pushing him out should not be rewarded if no TD techniques are every attempted.

Wrestling on the edge. When should stalling for fleeing the mat be called vs action took them off the mat?

IMO...

-If a wrestler backs to the edge of the mat & uses out of bounds to avoid a TD, It should be stalling not action. However, I believe a wrestler has to demonstrate this tendency before calling him for stalling. Is twice a tendency? How about 3 times? This again is very subjective.

-Action should be called when a TD attempt happens well in-bounds & a resulting scramble takes the wrestlers out.

Just remember that stalling calls are subjective & an officials job is very difficult. Plus most of us are looking at it with a biased point of view - whether we want to admit that or not.

57 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Wrestling on the edge. When should stalling for fleeing the mat be called vs action took them off the mat?

IMO...

Trick question - I haven't seen fleeing the mat called once this year, even for walking backward off the mat to avoid action. Why is it even on the books if it is never called?

Was fleeing the mat called during any SS this year? (A real question.)

1 hour ago, AndyStJ said:

Trick question - I haven't seen fleeing the mat called once this year, even for walking backward off the mat to avoid action. Why is it even on the books if it is never called?

It was called in our 215 pounders match against Brandon Johnson from LN. Should have been a legit takedown (and it was my kid getting taken down), but the official called it out of bounds and then changed it to fleeing afterwards. 

I'm cool with double stalls in the first (never after that, because of how it unfairly affects the match once points have been scored) if nobody is doing anything at all  (level changing, using ties, moving their opponent, etc;), but personally think officials need to let the action unfold, it just takes more time when you weigh 270. No reason to insert themselves into matches until it's necessary. If they're both stalling, that's on them, nobody has an advantage, why do you have to call anything? Who are you helping by throwing up a stall call on both people? Let the wrestling unfold and score it appropriately. No reason to be involved just because it is boring to watch.

I think by definition,  walking backwards off the mat would warrant more of  a stalling call.  I think fleeing the mat occurs more trying to avoid well a more imminent scoring situation.  But I agree, fleeing the mat its not called as much as it should.

I did see it called once at New Castle, definitely not at 215, it was a middle weight. One guy shot in on a single and the opponent wizzered and then proceeded to do everything to get out of bounds once the wizzer didn’t work. 

22 hours ago, Coach Peck said:

I would say making stalling a one point penalty without it progressing to disqualification so it can be called when it is happening without the Official being concerned that he is going to put himself in position to DQ someone would help.  In my opinion this would put the onus more on the wrestlers.

Coach I like this idea.