Girls Semi State Draws

Rochester bracket just dropped and they rightly put Winner and Trenary opposite one another. Winner has the possibility of a tough match in the ticket round against Paloma Shull.

1 hour ago, Matt Zickafoose said:

Looking at the 155 bracket, shouldn’t 1s and 2s from the same regional be on opposite sides of the bracket? So they wouldn’t meet till the finals. 

I know that happened at least in my daughter's 155 bracket (her section's 1 is on the top half and 2 is on bottom half) but I didn't check that against every other regional in every semi-state. I think there's a possibility for a Bussard/Trenary rematch in the Rochester semis which has actually become more interesting since Bussard was able to get one over on Trenary.

28 minutes ago, Paycheck141 said:

They can't redraw once they've been released, can they?

May not be redraws, might be adjustments or adding in girls to fill out a full 16. Personally I’m most concerned with what they look like Friday morning so anything before that is gravy.

29 minutes ago, rookie78 said:

Any updates of when brackets will be out again?

Current track deadlines for releasing brackets to public says 8pm tonight. 

Now that the brackets are back up, will we get an explanation as to why some of the draws changed from this morning even though none of the girls changed?  Why were they moved around?  I am looking at Penn and the following weights changed 100, 110, 115, & 235.  What was the reason for rearranging the wrestlers?  I guess I should contact IHSGW

It's odd, my daughter is the 1 seed from Perry at 110lb and she has a good possibility to wrestle the the girl that got 4th from Perry in the ticket round.  I know that 1s and 4s from the same regional are always gonna be on the same side, but I think they should be in different Quarter finals.  The only thing I can think is that she was bumped up to a 3 seed  that went unfilled from another regional based on her record. Just my opinion, but this girl is very good and has been ranked all year, I think if i was her that i would rather have a shot at a #1 seed from another regional in round 1 and try to pull an upset against a wrestler i havnt seen, opposed to facing a 1 seed (assuming the one seed advances) that has been at nearly every tournament you have been to this season in the ticket round.  Just my thought.

Edited by spanky8545

1 hour ago, McWrastlePants said:

Now that the brackets are back up, will we get an explanation as to why some of the draws changed from this morning even though none of the girls changed?  Why were they moved around?  I am looking at Penn and the following weights changed 100, 110, 115, & 235.  What was the reason for rearranging the wrestlers?  I guess I should contact IHSGW

Our girl at 115 (Cates) placed 5th at the Regional and is seeded as a 2 seed. I would like to know why there were rearranged as well. 

45 minutes ago, spanky8545 said:

It's odd, my daughter is the 1 seed from Perry at 110lb and she has a good possibility to wrestle the the girl that got 4th from Perry in the ticket round.  I know that 1s and 4s from the same regional are always gonna be on the same side, but I think they should be in different Quarter finals.  The only thing I can think is that she was bumped up to a 3 seed  that went unfilled from another regional based on her record. Just my opinion, but this girl is very good and has been ranked all year, I think if i was her that i would rather have a shot at a #1 seed from another regional in round 1 and try to pull an upset against a wrestler i havnt seen, opposed to facing a 1 seed (assuming the one seed advances) that has been at nearly every tournament you have been to this season in the ticket round.  Just my thought.

Yes, my daughter placed 4th in the 110 at Perry and I agree this seems very odd how they did it. She even talked to her coach about it. She was listed as 6th going against people from other regions. Now bumped to 8th…It just doesn’t add up. 

10 minutes ago, gogoplata89 said:

This could've been our opportunity to show that wrestle backs could work at this level. 

Agreed. Girls wrestling is already treated differently than boys - minimal duals and a much shorter season - so it's not like they have to be treated exactly the same when it comes to tournament time. If anything, the boys have a much better opportunity to differentiate themselves based on their work over the season at regular duals, super duals and invitationals. Girls have a handful of tournaments that they can go to, depending on how far the team wants to or is able to travel, and as a result there are some girls in the tournament that have less than 10 actual matches under their belt. It's hard to say how they should be seeded correctly, so giving them more of a chance to wrestle makes sense. In this format, you lose one match and your semi-state is done. I don't like it.

Edited by mrraper

1 hour ago, gogoplata89 said:

This could've been our opportunity to show that wrestle backs could work at this level. 

Especially if we’re gonna randomly decide which girls make it when there are openings.

There are several weights where I believe the 1st 3rd or 4th best athletes are in same quarter bracket

i understand the IHSAA May do this next year, but why do it to ourselves?

I brought this matter up at our seed meeting for Regionals.  If the coaches association, women's or men's, is running this tournament then run it the way we want it ran.  The IHSAA has not sanctioned it yet, so why let them tell us how to run the tournament.

7 minutes ago, julio said:

I brought this matter up at our seed meeting for Regionals.  If the coaches association, women's or men's, is running this tournament then run it the way we want it ran.  The IHSAA has not sanctioned it yet, so why let them tell us how to run the tournament.

What was the reaction? Is the prevailing thought that we have to conform to current IHSAA standards for them to consider sanctioning?

It seemed to me that nobody wanted to make decisions on how to run the tournament, kept passing it on to other people.  Nobody could really tell me who was in charge of running the tournament.  Heard things changed on almost every detail of the tournament from the seed meeting to the start of the Regionals.  I mean the idea to bring in more girls to filled out the brackets at Semi State was not even finalized until after Regionals.  I mean we don't do this for the boys, so if we change 1 part of the tournament why not others?