Broken big toe

JC123

1 hour ago, JC123 said:

I’m asking for a kid who wants to wrestle still and was needing help not a smartass

My son jammed his/ turf toe.  He said he tapped his big toe & the next one together and it seemed

to help.  My son would

be wrestling too by the way!!!!

3 hours ago, beaner2 said:

Nothing. He needs time to heal. Sectionals > than a holiday tourney. 

This is 100 percent correct. Sit a few weeks. It sucks, but it will be worth it in the end if he plans on making a run in the tourney. Probably would go if it wasn't his big toe. Best of luck to your boy. 

Since it involves the big toe, taping is not likely to do much good. I would strongly recommend consultation with a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon as nonunion could lead to long term consequences. Most such injuries would be treated with a rigid platform shoe, which shows how seriously medical professionals view such injuries. 

I am sorry to hear of your son's injury and wish him well.

7 hours ago, Mattyb said:

This is 100 percent correct. Sit a few weeks. It sucks, but it will be worth it in the end if he plans on making a run in the tourney. Probably would go if it wasn't his big toe. Best of luck to your boy. 

What’s his goal. Win or place in a holiday tourney and possibly injure it further. Or advance as far in the state series as his talent will take him. 

I’m assuming you took him to seek medical attention. If not I recommend it. Sometimes it best to rest and fight another day.  

3 hours ago, JC123 said:

You are right I messaged and said I was sorry my son is a senior and he is depressed like nothing I have ever seen and Just having a hard time.

No harm,  my son is done wrestling, but i remember my son's Sr year and an injury he had.  He had to sit a holiday tournament.  I might have been a little crazy back then.   It gets emotional when you have a lot invested like that and have goals.  I just say look at the big picture, and make the smart decision.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

I’ve experienced this. It’s about how much pain can he tolerate. You can try having the trainer do a “buddy” tape job on toes and anchoring on foot for some support. You may need a bigger shoe. It’ll probably take 4-6 weeks to be pain free but maybe he’ll be able to tolerate it. Ice it after every match/work out. You may have to get a stationary bike since running to cut weight will not be fun. Rest can only help but I get and respect the drive to compete in his last season. Good luck. 

On 12/23/2023 at 9:48 AM, JC123 said:

My son broke his big toe in practice yesterday. What is the best thing to protect it during match as he wrestles at Mooresville next weekend. 

What is he going to do?   Sit out for a few weeks and get healthy or wrestle through it? 

On 12/23/2023 at 8:35 PM, djpierson9 said:

Try using a metal shoe insert.

Been there, done this. Only real option to decrease pain brought on by movement. Dropped a 135lb barbell across my toe doing bent over rows the day before a County dual. THE County dual.

Similar, but different, I also dealt with turf toe in college. It can be taped, but is still very painful. I ended up switching my stance as to not have my left foot be my rear foot. Lead to a bit of versatility in my offense.

Other than that, grit'cher teeth and give it hell.

Edited by Sweats McFurley
Grammar.