IHSAA Wrestling Grievances – The 12 Days of IHSAA Christmas

IHSAA Wrestling Grievances – The 12 Days of IHSAA Christmas

This post is designed to be an opportunity for coaches, wrestlers, parents and wrestling fans to share grievances with IHSAA practices around high school wrestling.  I have several grievances that I plan to roll out one at a time over the next 12 days.  For fun, I’ll do it 12 days of Christmas style. 

I’m a wrestler, a parent of wrestlers and a high school varsity wrestling coach.  I also coach elementary and middle school teams.  I’ve coached in Indiana for 15 years and I’m in my 9th season as a head wrestling coach of a small high school in Indianapolis.  I also coach off season teams for small school wrestlers and coordinate wrestling tournaments for Indiana’s small schools. 

I am frustrated with how the IHSAA administers wrestling.  A recent poor sectional alignment decision that is completely void of equity is the tipping point for me.  The goal of this post is to be a dialog with the wresting community.  Are the IHSAA’s practices I bring up in these posts what is best for our kids and our sport?  I don’t think so.  I’d love to hear what the rest of the wrestling community thinks. 

Greg Hughes

Wrestler, concerned parent and coach

317-753-7786

greg@continuumgames.com

On the first day of Christmas, IHSAA gave to me, lowest success rates in the country.

Indiana qualifies a significantly lower number of wrestlers to their state tournament annually when compared to other states.  Here’s a comparison to 8 other nearby states: 

The Outlier

State

Population

Annual State Qualifiers

Classes

Qualifiers per Class

Indiana

6.8 million

The Norm (8 state comparison)

State

Population

Annual State Qualifiers

Classes

Qualifiers per Class

Iowa

3.2 million

Pennsylvania

12.9 million

Illinois

12.5 million

Michigan

10 million

Ohio

11.7 million

Missouri

6.1 million

Nebraska

2 million

Tennessee

7 million

16 (12 in 1A)

A big part of wrestling is setting and pursuing goals.  The IHSAA does a great job at its state tournament of putting on a great show…the wrestling state finals is an amazing event.  However, it is an event that very few Indiana wrestlers get to experience. 

Think of some of the positives that occur when a wrestler makes it to state:

1.       The community gets excited about wrestling and their wrestlers

2.       The school makes announcements about their accomplishments and hosts student pep rallies for wrestlers

3.       T-shirts are made with the wrestlers name on it “road to state”

4.       Coaches recognize the accomplishment by putting a wrestler’s name on wrestling room wall (list of qualifiers)

5.       Young athletes see all of these activities and are inspired to want to be wrestlers (youth and middle school participation numbers get a boost)

By qualifying so few to state makes these types of positive activities a rare occurrence for wrestlers and wrestling programs (except for powerhouse programs).  Also, the IHSAA consistently eliminates amazing athletes at semi-state.  We have college level wrestlers coming out of Indiana who never qualified for a high school state tournament. 

Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association has been asking to take more to state.  This request is consistently denied by IHSAA assistant commissioner Robert Faulkens.  Is that the right decision?  Given we don’t have classes, should we only take 16 wrestlers per weight, which appears to be the minimum when compared to other states?

If you agree Indiana should take more to state, click “Like”. 

Looking at the numbers it looks like if Indiana wrestlers wrestled in Iowa then every single wrestler at semi-state would essentially make the state tournament.   Right?   
iowa is half the size of Indiana and qualifies over 4 times the wrestlers.  
Is that really the answer.   Seems like too many.  

Just from a fans perspective on this…I’m a no thank you! I think Indiana wrestling is the best tournament the Ihsaa puts on. It was better before online ticketing…but it’s still the best tournament. Adding a name to the wall, hosting a pep rally, community excitement…all more special because of how hard it is to get there right now. There’s a certain level of classed wrestling that eventually brings in a “participation trophy” conversation. It’s easy to bring up the kids every year that “should” make it, but what about the kid that gets last place in each class. One of those kids went to state only to be determined the what…64th overall (or maybe lower) best kid in the state at that weight? And they should be on the wall? All I’m saying is there’s a certain level of this that everyone fails to bring up, every time. I respect the question though and I’m glad you brought some facts and numbers to the table.

16 is just right. No need to water down the field just so more wrestlers (and adults) get the experience of making the finals. Getting there means that you are among the best in the state, don't lower the bar for the sake of "feel goods". That's an epidemic already.

Chatter among a few of the girls coaches: the rule limiting weight loss by 1.5% from the previous week weigh-in makes it hard to get qualified weigh-ins due to natural water retention during certain times of the month, followed by how quickly they drop again the following week. If we could simply follow the progression in the Alpha that is established at the beginning of the year, that would be really helpful instead of the week-to-week, weigh-in to weigh-in formula.

Example: Alpha 176.2, Min Wrestling Weight 145.1.

Weigh-in #1: 177.5; Weigh-in #2: 174.0 not qualified bc of water retention at weigh-in #1. But would have been qualified if original Alpha min weight of 171 was used.

This process repeats every four weeks.

On the second day of Christmas, IHSAA gave to me, no wrestle backs

Indiana is one of the only states that doesn’t use double elimination format with full wrestlebacks in its state tournament.  We have a total of 5 single elimination rounds in our state tournament series.  We are a state, possibly the only state, that eliminates half of its state qualifiers in a single match.  Here’s a comparison to other states: 

The Outlier

State

Population

Wrestle Backs?

Placement

Indiana

6.8 million

first round single elimination

Remaining 8 wrestle for placement to 8th

State

Population

Wrestle Backs?

Placement

Iowa

3.2 million

full wrestle backs (no single elimination)

Placement to 8th

Pennsylvania

12.9 million

Placement to 8th

Illinois

12.5 million

Placement to 6th

Michigan

10 million

Placement to 8th

Ohio

11.7 million

Placement to 8th

Missouri

6.1 million

Placement to 6th

Nebraska

2 million

Placement to 6th

Tennessee

7 million

Placement to 6th

Part of wrestling is wrestlebacks.  Wrestlebacks allow a wrestler to deal with the adversity and bounce back from losing a match.  Colleges scouts want to see how wrestlers handle failure.  Also, if they are scouting at state, they want to see their prospects wrestle more than one match. 

ISWA tournaments use wrestlebacks.  NCAA tournaments use wrestlebacks.  Other states use wrestlebacks.  Not having wrestlebacks is changing a fundamental part of the sport.  It’s like not allowing the forward pass in football (go back to 1905), not allowing 3 point shot in basketball (go back to 1966), not allowing a designated hitter in baseball (go back to 1972).    

When you have among the lowest success rates in the country, it makes using wrestlebacks even more important.

Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association has been asking for wrestlebacks (especially at semi-state).  This request is consistently denied by IHSAA assistant commissioner Robert Faulkens.  Is that the right decision?

If you agree Indiana should have wrestlebacks, click “Like”.

24 minutes ago, ghughes1974 said:

Indiana is one of the only states that doesn’t use double elimination format with full wrestlebacks in its state tournament.  We have a total of 5 single elimination rounds in our state tournament series.  We are a state, possibly the only state, that eliminates half of its state qualifiers in a single match.  Here’s a comparison to other states: 

The Outlier

State

Population

Wrestle Backs?

Placement

Indiana

6.8 million

State

Population

Wrestle Backs?

Placement

Iowa

3.2 million

Placement to 8th

Pennsylvania

12.9 million

Placement to 8th

Illinois

12.5 million

Placement to 6th

Michigan

10 million

Placement to 8th

Ohio

11.7 million

Placement to 8th

Missouri

6.1 million

Placement to 6th

Nebraska

2 million

Placement to 6th

Tennessee

7 million

Placement to 6th

Part of wrestling is wrestlebacks.  Wrestlebacks allow a wrestler to deal with the adversity and bounce back from losing a match.  Colleges scouts want to see how wrestlers handle failure.  Also, if they are scouting at state, they want to see their prospects wrestle more than one match. 

ISWA tournaments use wrestlebacks.  NCAA tournaments use wrestlebacks.  Other states use wrestlebacks.  Not having wrestlebacks is changing a fundamental part of the sport.  It’s like not allowing the forward pass in football (go back to 1905), not allowing 3 point shot in basketball (go back to 1966), not allowing a designated hitter in baseball (go back to 1972).    

When you have among the lowest success rates in the country, it makes using wrestlebacks even more important.

Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association has been asking for wrestlebacks (especially at semi-state).  This request is consistently denied by IHSAA assistant commissioner Robert Faulkens.  Is that the right decision?

Eliminating someone going 1-1 at semi-state has always felt ridiculous to me. A 1 seed beating a 4 seed first round of regionals or first round of semi-state, I can understand sending them home. A lot of ticket round matches are 2v3 seed and a lot of good kids get sent home due to poor draws. 

1 hour ago, PurdueWrestlingFan197 said:

Eliminating someone going 1-1 at semi-state has always felt ridiculous to me. A 1 seed beating a 4 seed first round of regionals or first round of semi-state, I can understand sending them home. A lot of ticket round matches are 2v3 seed and a lot of good kids get sent home due to poor draws. 

I would love a wrestle back for sure. Hopefully it will come soon. At least before my grand kids hit high school. 😃

1 hour ago, ghughes1974 said:

Tried that already.  More to come on experiences with Mr. Faulkens in a future post.  

Obviously you have no clue on how things work in Indiana. Our coaches association has worked for years to mend the IHSAA relationship into a working relationship instead of trying to fight them. Over the last ten years we have made more progress on that front. 

To put it nicely, you won't get your desired result trying to fight the IHSAA.

15 hours ago, takemtothemat said:

I would love a wrestle back for sure. Hopefully it will come soon. At least before my grand kids hit high school. 😃

Why wrestle backs and not classes? All arguments against classes work for wrestle backs:

1. More exciting - way more exciting to have a semi-final ticket round match where the winner goes on and the loser goes home, no re-dos

2. Work harder - if you work hard enough, you will be the bad draw. Go to camps, RTCs, etc and you won't need to "wrestle back"

3. Watered down - why give a kid who can't win through a chance to get back into the race? You lost, tough luck. Work harder - see #2

Understand, I am in favor of classes and wrestle backs. However, it does not make sense to me that people can logically conclude that it is unfair for a kid to get a "bad draw," but not logically conclude that it is unfair for a kid to have a disadvantage going to a much smaller school.

34 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Why wrestle backs and not classes? All arguments against classes work for wrestle backs:

1. More exciting - way more exciting to have a semi-final ticket round match where the winner goes on and the loser goes home, no re-dos

2. Work harder - if you work hard enough, you will be the bad draw. Go to camps, RTCs, etc and you won't need to "wrestle back"

3. Watered down - why give a kid who can't win through a chance to get back into the race? You lost, tough luck. Work harder - see #2

Understand, I am in favor of classes and wrestle backs. However, it does not make sense to me that people can logically conclude that it is unfair for a kid to get a "bad draw," but not logically conclude that it is unfair for a kid to have a disadvantage going to a much smaller school.

IMHO an interesting compromise would be a classed tournament, followed by a tournament of champions, taking the 8 placers in each class and running them through a 32 man bracket to determine a definitive champion at each weight (maybe placing 4?).  The major upside (as I see it) is you would get an extra week of wrestling for the top 32 wrestlers at each weight class.  

I sincerely doubt it will ever happen, but it would be really interesting.

4 minutes ago, rrschott said:

IMHO an interesting compromise would be a classed tournament, followed by a tournament of champions, taking the 8 placers in each class and running them through a 32 man bracket to determine a definitive champion at each weight (maybe placing 4?).  The major upside (as I see it) is you would get an extra week of wrestling for the top 32 wrestlers at each weight class.  

Quit trying to be logical. This is unacceptable. Consider yourself reported.

19 minutes ago, rrschott said:

They tried that with basketball and it flopped. Other states have tried to do similar and none lasted more than a couple years.

17 hours ago, ghughes1974 said:

The Outlier

State

Population

Wrestle Backs?

Placement

Indiana

6.8 million

State

Population

Wrestle Backs?

Placement

Iowa

3.2 million

Placement to 8th

Pennsylvania

12.9 million

Placement to 8th

Illinois

12.5 million

Placement to 6th

Michigan

10 million

Placement to 8th

Ohio

11.7 million

Placement to 8th

Missouri

6.1 million

Placement to 6th

Nebraska

2 million

Placement to 6th

Tennessee

7 million

Placement to 6th

From an  immigrant from another state to Indiana,  IMO  the quality of the Indiana state wrestling tournament is horribly diminished by not having wrestlebacks.   Its an essential part of wrestling.    Some people in Indiana  like it.  But as a pure wrestling fan, its agregious.  

Just to piggyback on your post and  give a more comprehensive view of the wrestleback status by state, here's the inclusive list of states that dont have wrestlebacks.

List of States without wrestlebacks  in  respective state tournament

Indiana

List of states with wrestlebacks in respective state tournament

Every state in America besides Indiana

6 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Just to piggyback on your post and  give a more comprehensive view of the wrestleback status by state, here's the inclusive list of states that dont have wrestlebacks.

List of States without wrestlebacks  in  respective state tournament

Indiana

List of states with wrestlebacks in respective state tournament

Every state in America besides Indiana

Thank you for taking the time to write out all the States that have wrestlebacks. Please rest your typing fingers now for the rest of the day.

30 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

They tried that with basketball and it flopped. Other states have tried to do similar and none lasted more than a couple years.

One example I know of was Kansas which decades ago set up a format called "Grand State".   The KSHAA created an event where the top four placers from each state tournament  with four classes would compete in a 16 bracket.   Yes, Kansas has four classes.  But it was pretty cool, but only lasted two years.   The main reason cited was coach fatigue. 

I lived in Nebraska for 8 years, and I only went to the wrestling state finals once. The competition was completely watered down. There were a few decent finals matches but it was so hard to watch 4 finals matches going on at the same time all wrestling to be a "state champ" and the awards took forever. I never went back. The Indiana state finals spoiled me, and cant be matched. Although I don't agree with ghughes1974  on class wrestling, I too would love to see wrestle backs, and think it would make the state finals that much better. 

Edited by Rugger44