Kevin Whitehead's Final State Championship

Y2CJ41

Every parent out there will automatically say their favorite name said in the Mr. Whitehead voice is their own kid's name after being announced a state champion to stand at the top of the podium. 

I literally can still hear the echo of that voice & announcement in my head to this day like I was in Bankers Life listening to it live.  This will be a tough act to follow for someone for sure.  Thanks for all your time and dedicate and we look forward to 2 more days of this !!!

21 hours ago, Ed Pendoski said:

Just for nostalgia...I'll start my two favorite Kevin Whitehead names of IHSAA State Finals of the past.

TEEEEEEE. JAYYYYYY HAYES!!!!!!!!

It was a couple years of that and it got louder every year.  When I moved to Indy I remember meeting the Wagners in Zionsville's room.  My first thought was "that's the guy that ruined Mr. Whitehead saying TJ Hayes"

Mr. Whitehead was also spectacular announcing Anton Talamantez.  

My favorite:  Maaallll doooo naaaa dooooo!!!! (There were many different first names over the years)

Edited by matts

10 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

Just curious what this golden voiced wonder does when he is acting as the wrestling state finals announcer.  Is he a radio personality?

I hear that he walks the earth like Caine from Kung Fu giving out sage advice to those young ones patient enough to listen.  

Watch Kung Fu: The Complete First Season | Prime Video

I began hearing Mr. Whitehead's voice introducing wrestlers from across the state as a young child.  As a high school wrestler, hearing him introduce you by name became part of the goal. Watching my kids attempt to mimic his voice introducing themselves around the house during the tournament makes me dream of the future. 

Thank you Mr. Whitehead for the years of contributions to the sport (past, present, and future).

Craig Weinzapfel

Like others have said, I was 13 when I first heard his voice; dreamed and trained my ass off to have him say it over the PA. I'll selfishly say my own name was my favorite he ever introduced and announced. When it came time to name my boy, you best bet I made sure it's one that would have boomed over the speakers by a voice like Mr. Whitehead's.

To "The best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be." Thank you Mr. Whitehead.

Yelled at my house to be quiet during the closing moments of watching state on TV, so I could clearly listen to Kevin’s voice one at state last time.  

Thank you sir. Your voice and rapport will always be my memory of what the state finals should sound like.  

• 1 month later...

Wonderful tribute to Kevin on WISH-TV. Always enjoyed stopping over to talk to him at the finals each year; always so gracious to people who wanted to talk to him. Had the unbelievable good fortune to stand next to him in line waiting to get into the venue this year. It was awesome reminiscing with him. Such a great guy. He will be missed. 

Oh, and by the way....Evansville is a lot closer to Kevin's Old Kentucky Home. Just saying. Think we could get Kevin to do a Tom Brady? 

Edited by Dave Cloud
adding idea

6 hours ago, Dave Cloud said:

Wonderful tribute to Kevin on WISH-TV. Always enjoyed stopping over to talk to him at the finals each year; always so gracious to people who wanted to talk to him. Had the unbelievable good fortune to stand next to him in line waiting to get into the venue this year. It was awesome reminiscing with him. Such a great guy. He will be missed. 

Oh, and by the way....Evansville is a lot closer to Kevin's Old Kentucky Home. Just saying. Think we could get Kevin to do a Tom Brady? 

He did Evansville Semistate one year, that was pretty impressive.

6 hours ago, Dave Cloud said:

I was thinking the same thing when the move was announced.