Weight Allowance

ENoblewrestling

5 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

If you are talking from the beginning of season to what you want to wrestle that is fine. But if you are naturally weighing 10 to 15 pounds more than you wrestle then honestly that is a problem. That is the whole reason the rules got put in place so kids didn't do that type of cut. I did that cut in high school and even worse in college. I would hope that people are not cheating the fat charts and allowing wrestlers to still do this. 

Could they maintain the lower weight of course but it takes alot of discipline to do that.  Most high school kids don't have that so they will balloon back to there natural weight right after weigh ins.

4 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

I feel that these guys have been at this weight all year it's not a whole other wright class lets have healthy wrestlers not wrestlers that are tired from running their butts off all morning to make weight. Give them more weight anyone not wanting to give them weight just wants to bump an opponent out.

I counted 5 sentences but I only see two periods. Not hating, just tough to read. 

21 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

If you are talking from the beginning of season to what you want to wrestle that is fine. But if you are naturally weighing 10 to 15 pounds more than you wrestle then honestly that is a problem. That is the whole reason the rules got put in place so kids didn't do that type of cut. I did that cut in high school and even worse in college. I would hope that people are not cheating the fat charts and allowing wrestlers to still do this. 

As someone who has also done this cut in high school and college I agree with you. I will say this, we have 2 kids on our team who are actually cutting weight and they are doing it the right way and no more than 6lbs a week and never miss a meal or go without high amounts of water. I’ve found that it is harder to get qualifying weigh ins for the kids who are not cutting weight than the ones who are. The ones who are cutting are always going to be close to weight the ones who are not cutting their weight tends to fluctuate a lot more. Our 106 is about 5’8 and is skin and bones but his weight could be anything from 102 to 108 on any given day and most my team is like that. I agree that cutting weight is the terrible ugly part of our sport but the rules in place don’t exactly work that well in practice. Just my two cents. 

4 minutes ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

The flip side of that is I have multiple kids that are so far under weight that having the extra 2lbs means they actually have to gain weight to be able to wrestle their weight class.

The two extra is only for after Christmas correct because the actual weight class change. Tomorrow is just an allowance. Please correct me if I am wrong.

18 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

The two extra is only for after Christmas correct because the actual weight class change. Tomorrow is just an allowance. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You very well may be correct but the way I understand it is if there is an allowance you would qualify for two weights below if you are under that and wouldn’t be able to bump up more than one weight. For example 138 lber must weigh in over 130 now to be eligible instead of over 128.

1 hour ago, aoberlin said:

Andy, I agree with you, particularly, in theory, but there too many incentives and workarounds. Any good wrestler whether kid, coach, or parent has two things in abundance: competitiveness and wherewithal.

What is the disincentive for a wrestler (or coach/parent) who is able to successfully cut that kind of weight even though they shouldn't? What if they can make State versus struggle to place at Semi-State in higher weight? They all know who their competitors are, what they weigh, and what they are up against. And, if they don't there is always someone or even this site or Track to inform them.

We all know tons of great kids that are cutting way too much weight. Don't we? And, I suspect we also know they are more successful at that lighter weight. They get recognitive from everywhere including the forums and the rankings. Yep, they'd be successful at a higher weight, maybe even two, but probably not 'as' successful.

That's a hard ask of any kid, coach, or parent. I'm, absolutely, not saying it's the right thing, but I understand the motivation and the difficulty of the problem.

Edited by gsmith58

9 minutes ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

You very well may be correct but the way I understand it is if there is an allowance you would qualify for two weights below if you are under that and wouldn’t be able to bump up more than one weight. For example 138 lber must weigh in over 130 now to be eligible instead of over 128.

So are you saying the minimums go up when the holiday allowance takes hold? I never knew that.

Edited by busstogate

45 minutes ago, gsmith58 said:

Andy, I agree with you, particularly, in theory, but there too many incentives and workarounds. Any good wrestler whether kid, coach, or parent has two things in abundance: competitiveness and wherewithal.

What is the disincentive for a wrestler (or coach/parent) who is able to successfully cut that kind of weight even though they shouldn't? What if they can make State versus struggle to place at Semi-State in higher weight? They all know who their competitors are, what they weigh, and what they are up against. And, if they don't there is always someone or even this site or Track to inform them.

We all know tons of great kids that are cutting way too much weight. Don't we? And, I suspect we also know they are more successful at that lighter weight. They get recognitive from everywhere including the forums and the rankings. Yep, they'd be successful at a higher weight, maybe even two, but probably not 'as' successful.

That's a hard ask of any kid, coach, or parent. I'm, absolutely, not saying it's the right thing, but I understand the motivation and the difficulty of the problem.

All very true. I will not get on my soap box and give some big speech about how winning and getting to State isn't the most important thing and that should be trickled down from the top. What I will say from years of coaching and watching wrestling is that having a healthy wrestler that doesn't cut much weight and enjoys the sport more usually calculates to a better gas tank and a more rounded wrestler.  I watch so many kids in the offseason that look fit and strong and wrestle great. Then I see them later in the season and their faces are shrunk and a ton of muscle is lost. There is a reason it is easier for wrestlers to make weight at the end of the season then at the beginning. They have lost muscle. If you do it right your wrestler will actually get stronger throughout the season. To each it's own.

2 hours ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

This is an excellent question. Can anyone from the IHSWCA get us the correct ruling on this scenario?

We had a kid miss weight at the Al Smith a several years ago due to the 2 lb allowance.  Was wrestling 220, so had to weigh over 182.1........until the 2 lb allowance kicked in.  Unbeknownst to me, he had to weigh 184.1.  I felt about an inch tall when when I found that out.

6 hours ago, aoberlin said:

Yes they do. The 138 actually becomes 140. If you want to wrestle 152 you have to weigh at least 140.

Imagine having that as a problem, I did not know people were actually struggling to make the minnimum weight. I wrestled 170 in high school and ponder if I should wrestle heavyweight on a offseason tournament. I was cutting to 170 so being over 182 was easy. I think my plan was to drink a gallon of wwater beofre stepping on the scale to be able to weigh over 195. Then bump up to weight classes to wrestle heavyweight. Would it have worked? IDK, super disapointed that I never tried. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.