Sleepers for IHSAA Team Title

Do any teams have that are currently out of top 10 have a shot at the team title? Cathedral would seem like a likely canidate. I don't know much about Lowell, but with Cummings and Hughes it would seem as though they could be in contention. Any others stand out as having a shot at it?

I'll jump ahead one year because I think there is an interesting answer to this question for next season. 2016 could be 1989 all over again. In 1989 Chesterton won state, much to the surprise of many. 2016 is setting up for a similar deal. Chesterton is flying under the radar right now. But between the Davidson brothers, Lemley, Tollin, Polokney they could ended up on top with no one seeing it coming.

I'll jump ahead one year because I think there is an interesting answer to this question for next season. 2016 could be 1989 all over again. In 1989 Chesterton won state, much to the surprise of many. 2016 is setting up for a similar deal. Chesterton is flying under the radar right now. But between the Davidson brothers, Lemley, Tollin, Polokney they could ended up on top with no one seeing it coming.

Hell ya, that means Warsaw would be in the mix.  I will be needing to borrow some kids from across the state to fill in my weights.

Last year Cathedral was a runner up with 73pts, they had a Champ, Runner Up, 3rd, 4th, and 2 7ths and 6pts shy of Penn(79pts).

13/14 Cathedral won it with 73pts with a Champ, 2 Runner Ups, 3rd and 8th placers. Franklin was a runner up with 60pts.

12/13 Perry won it with an amazing 102.5pts with 3 Champs, a Runner Up, 2 5th placers and a 7th placer.  Yorktown was a runner up with 62pts.

So it seems like having at least one champ or two (or three if you are Perry!) with some placers and scoring at lest 70pts puts you in contention for the State title.

I think this year is gonna be pretty tight. There are quite a few teams that have a chance at multiple champs that will have an outside shot at winning it, and may we have a year where a team wins a title minus a State Champ?

Edited by XCard

how exactly do they score this tourney?

Tournament scoring: top 8 places earn 16-12-9-7-5-3-2-1 in descending order.  You also get 2 advancement points in the winners' bracket and 1 advancement point in the losers' bracket with each win.  No advancement points are scored in placement matches (i.e. 1/2, 3/4, etc.).  Finally, you get 1 bonus for a major decision, 1.5 for a tech, and 2 for a pin/DQ/default.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.