Best Match You Have EVER Seen

Y2CJ41

Most of us are snowed in, so what a better way to spend the day than talking about wrestling.

What is the best match you have ever seen? It can be any match, college, international, high school, middle school or even youth.  Tell us why it was your favorite.  Here are a few of mine

1. Jared Frayer- Oklahoma vs. Mike Zadick- Iowa at 2002 National Duals

Frayer went up big, something like 10+ points, then self destructed and Zadick played takedown let up for two periods absolutely breaking him. This is one of the best matches always talked about by people on TheMat, but not that many got to witness it.

Now for some more personal ones

2. Bryce Schendel vs. Zack Corpe- Elkhart Memoral 2008 Ticket Round

Going in Bryce was a heavy underdog. He was down after losing a close regional final match that would have set him up to have quite an easier draw. We got to watch Corpe at team semi-state and that is when he got the confidence to win the match. We told him if you were within five points after the first period that he would be within two going into the third and he would be fine. As usual Corpe came out on fire and rattled off a couple takedowns and was up five after one period. In the second period he started fading and at the end Bryce hit a fireman's with backpoints to tie the match up. In the third Bryce was down and Corpe cut him early. After a couple scrambled Bryce took him down to his back and pinned him.

3. Chris Wengerd vs. Josh Presley- Angola 2004 Ticket Round

Wengerd drew into the undefeated Presley in the ticket round. Presley defeated him three weeks prior at conference. Not sure what got into him that day, but he absolutely manhandled Presley this time winning by about 12 points and almost getting the tech fall.

4. Bryce Schendel vs. Josh Ehr- South Adams 2010 Ticket Round

Bryce had lost to Ehr twice during the year and Ehr was also undefeated. Again this was not a favorable draw. Bryce went in with confidence and a game plan. He knew he had to make Ehr come to him and when he did he would capitalize on his mistakes. It worked like a charm and Bryce won the scrambles including one late that sealed the deal.

These are just a few and I will post videos of the other matches later.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Petrov vs. Brenden Campbell 2012 state finals. Two seniors who had come so close to a state championship before came out on fire and had a fun, unpredictable match.

Of course I'm a bit biased, but Nick Crume vs. Luke Welch 2013 state finals. Another situation of two seniors who had been close in the past few years. Had some great scrambles and went into overtime.

Caldwell vs. Metcalf a few years back was the most electric atmosphere I've ever witnessed. Metcalf was classic bully and the free wheeling Caldwell took it to him from the start with a wicked left handed headlock. Post match fireworks add to legend.

High School:

Petrov vs Campbell

No video - wouldn't mind seeing this one again if its out there!

College:

Mcilravy vs Abbas

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/191807-1993-NCAA-Championships-Gerry-Abas-vs-Lincoln-McIlravy

Kolat vs Ironside

Olympic:

Paulson vs Hall

just this teaser is all I can find...

http://www.ihigh.com/hoosiersports365/video_905094.html

Are you asking for best match we saw in person? Or just in general? I'll go with matches I saw in person.

The matches I think of all have some type of a backstory that added to the match

1997 - Bono vs Mcilravy national championship match. Bono was defending champ, Mcilravy had taken an Olympic red shirt year. 

2007 - Johny Hendricks vs Mark Perry. Hendricks was a 2x champ. Perry's uncle john smith. Match was in Detroit and Hendricks was despised by the Michigan crowd for his win over Churella the year prior.

1999 - Robert Rossbottom Jeffersonville vs Dan Jankowski Evansville Mater Dei. Seymour SS ticket round. Co- ranked #1. Rossbottom was defending state champ at 135, Jankowski was runner up at 140. Rossbottom had lost at Regionals to Steve Minton of New Albany, who was the eventual runner up at state. The match was electric. The Mater Dei crowd was wild. Rossbottom won a decision.

1992 - Savage vs Flair Wrestlemania 8. Flair was champ, Savage was heavy underdog. The Limousine riding, jet flying, kiss stealing wheeling dealing son of a gun Flair had hinted at extra-curricular activities with Ms. Elizabeth. The Hoosier Dome was rocking! Wooooooo!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPRfk6B8mw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrTPRfk6B8mw

The second i saw this Petrov vs Campbell came to mind! I was so excited to post it and ive already seen it posted like 5 times! Phenominal match! Great scrambles.  Whole nother level, but Dake vs Burroughs was very intense.. Dake launching Jordan gave me chills!

The second i saw this Petrov vs Campbell came to mind! I was so excited to post it and ive already seen it posted like 5 times! Phenominal match! Great scrambles.  Whole nother level, but Dake vs Burroughs was very intense.. Dake launching Jordan gave me chills!

again, not super exciting but just on another level of skill its fun to watch

When the Honky Tonk man was enjoying his run as the "Greatest Inter-Continental" champion ever, his opponent for Summer Slam was injured.

Honky was feeling good.  He took the microphone and implored the powers that be to "Send out anyone, I'll wrestle anybody."  The Ultimate Warrior's music began, the UW stormed out, hit Honky with three clothes lines and pinned him in under 15 seconds.

Future governor, Jesse "The Body" Ventura commented:  "Honky didn't even have time to get his Elvis outfit off."

Later on, Honky tried to get the verdict overturned claiming, "I said i'd wrestle anyone.  I didn't say nothing about wrestling no warrior."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.