Ticket Round Matches

Y2CJ41

I'm just a fan, not a coach or a wrestling lifer.  My thought is it doesn't seem like this is the first year this type of argument has come up.  The bottom line to me is, if wrestlebacks have not been part of the system for a long time, why continue the same argument every year?  Seems akin to beating ones head against a brick wall to me.

That said, I'd be okay with wrestlebacks, but I inherently have a problem if I beat a guy and then have to face the same guy in a 3rd - 4th place match.  How accepted would it be that if wrestlebacks created a rematch from the same tournament (not talking about what happened and sectional or regional) the outcome is automatically determined by who won the first match.  I can hear people yelling "hell no" right now, but to me, I'd prefer the current system or one that prevents a rematch.  Someone else suggested a 2 vs. 3 match at the end.  Not sure I like that, but I'd be open again, as long as there is a rematch clause.  If I beat a kid in the semis and then work my ass off and lose in the championship match, how fair is it to expect me to beat the same guy again to hold my position?  Can't see it working!

Lastly, to keep inline with the thread, a few from Evansville I can think off the top of my head other than Fergusen - DJ Smith are:

Devin Broukal -  Josh Pierre @ 132

Elliott Molloy - Jacob Brown @ 113

Damon Kuhn - Hunter Fox @ 113

Bailey LaHue - Alex Johnson @ 120

Korbin Karges - Skyler Lykins @ 132 1st Round

Tyler Hupp - Austin Spray/Branson Schroeder winner (tough as hell first round match) @ 138

Isaiah Kemper - Zach Batts @ 138

Jordan Partee - Jacob Stevenson @ 152

Cody Helms - Kody Henshaw @ 152

Cole Kreilin - Michael Rynkiewich @ 160

Conner Galvin - Jordan Frye/Alex Schneider winner (another tough opener) @ 170

Garrett Fentz - Larry Shaffer @ 170

Gabe Konerding - Dakota Thacker @ 182

Autry Pickens - Mitchell Sandlin @ 195

Boyd Haley - Austen Pace @ 220

Austin Little - Justin Sampson @ 285 1st Round    Who did Sampson lose to last week?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well maybe the ones with the 0-3 losses do not wrestle a difficult schedule like some of the kids with 10+ losses! Not to mention that some of the kids with 10+ losses may be due to sickness or wrestling with injury. Sorry, but kids with 0-3 losses does not mean they are a better wrestler than those with 10+ losses. Therefore, you cannot go solely off of a kids record just as you can't always judge a book by it's cover..

Completely agree with this point.  I think Camden Eppert had 6-7 losses when he won state.  I could be wrong on that & know all of the losses were to Brandon Wright, but I don't care how many losses a kid has.  Sometimes kids peak at the right time.  Anyone who makes it to state earns it, regardless of losses.

if you look i said TOP RANKED wrestlers with 0-3 losses

if you look i said TOP RANKED wrestlers with 0-3 losses

Again, doesn't matter if an individual person is "TOP RANKED" with 0-3 losses or not... Still does NOT mean that individual is a better wrestler than a kid with 10+ losses... And not all the "TOP RANKED" kids even make it out of Regionals to Semi-State. A kid with 10+ losses that defeats a "TOP RANKED" kid with 0-3 losses, deserves to move on as the "TOP RANKED" kid didn't live up to his ranking then...

Austin Little - Justin Sampson @ 285 1st Round    Who did Sampson lose to last week?

Sampsons lost to Davis from Bedford North Lawrence in the Semi-Finals.  Then lost to Schoeppe from Northridge in the 3/4 match.

They have wrestle backs because they are democrats and like to give everyone something for nothing instead of earning it.

I thought the point of wreste backs is to make the kids earn it, instead of giving a gift through a lucky draw.

And what about the red states that have wrestle backs?

Again, doesn't matter if an individual person is "TOP RANKED" with 0-3 losses or not... Still does NOT mean that individual is a better wrestler than a kid with 10+ losses... And not all the "TOP RANKED" kids even make it out of Regionals to Semi-State. A kid with 10+ losses that defeats a "TOP RANKED" kid with 0-3 losses, deserves to move on as the "TOP RANKED" kid didn't live up to his ranking then...

Buddy, i know his is a lot for you to take in. . But im talkin about two highly ranked kids having to face each other in the ticket round, while an unranked kid with 10+ losses who lucked out on a draw, and CLEARLY is not as good as the one of the two who is going home, gets to move on to state. there is no argument in which you can present that makes this situation sound beneficial or just.

i've been goin to semi state for 15+ plus years and im sick of seeing two kids in one ticket round match go at it because their both seniors and know its one of their last match and then in another ticket round match in a different part of the bracket two kids with 10-20 losses are out there rollin around like a middle school match. I understand its not an easy fix but, you have to admit this blind draw isnt the answer. and i also understand there are some wrestlers with a lot of losses from schools like belmont or ytown that have a tough schedule so their number in the loss column is up there. but rarely is that case in most scenarios

I dont understand how anyone can say that not having wrestlebacks is a good thing... just wrestle back for third that allows a kid to who gets a bad draw in the ticket round a chance to wrestle back and get 3rd or 4th. The True 2nd idea is dumb...true fourth would make more sense but if we have wrestle backs I wouldnt think it is neccesary. And yes so you know a True 4th or 2nd match is only wrestled if the 4/5th or 2nd/3rd placers never met in the tournament and is usally only used for qualifiers NCAA regionals ind D2 have a true fourth as they take 4 to Nationals

I dont understand how anyone can say that not having wrestlebacks is a good thing... just wrestle back for third that allows a kid to who gets a bad draw in the ticket round a chance to wrestle back and get 3rd or 4th. The True 2nd idea is dumb...true fourth would make more sense but if we have wrestle backs I wouldnt think it is neccesary. And yes so you know a True 4th or 2nd match is only wrestled if the 4/5th or 2nd/3rd placers never met in the tournament and is usally only used for qualifiers NCAA regionals ind D2 have a true fourth as they take 4 to Nationals

The NAIA  also uses the true fourth for qualifying for the national wrestling tournament.  As to qualify, you have to place in top four at a tournament.  I think the true 2nd, 4th  or 6th are used in the NCAA conference tournaments only it affects NCAA qualification based on the quota of national qualifiers for that weight class.  This was done a couple of times at the Big 10 tournament last year at Purdue.

This would mean larson beats sevion first round......sevion vs handley ticket round will be a good one

I know ...but that a #5 vs. #12 in the FIRST round!!! One of these two kids will have a double punch your ticket rounds

They have probably been that guy that got the lucky draw, and knew that wrestlebacks would have cost them the trip..

Instead of having the kids do wrestle-backs, let's just have em do PAPER-SCISSORS-ROCK, and best out of three takes it. Because if we go to wrestle-backs, some will complain they didn't perform well because they were too tired from all the extra matches, or didnt get a good seed in wrestle-back

Instead of having the kids do wrestle-backs, let's just have em do PAPER-SCISSORS-ROCK, and best out of three takes it. Because if we go to wrestle-backs, some will complain they didn't perform well because they were too tired from all the extra matches, or didnt get a good seed in wrestle-back

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.....

Im interested in seeing Corsaro vs Cooper. Ive liked seeing Vinny wrestle this year so far and he is ranked rightfully so but seeing that fall to Cooper makes this an exciting one. taking Corsaro

From what I understand.  This was a head collision in the first 10 seconds.  Vinny was out!  Cooper won by fall in 15 seconds.

You can't read much into this match.  There was no wrestling involved.  I was not there so I could be wrong.

What do you think about the football draw? LC was playing Mishawaka for the 5a title. WC, Carmel all lost in the sectionals. Roncalli and Cathedral play every year in the first, second or Championship game of the sectionals. Is that right, those kids could argue their seasons were cut short because of a bad draw. I am just saying it happens in other sports. Old wrestler, to answer your question before you ask, yes I have seen my kids get good draws, and I have seen them get bad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.