Ticket Round Matches

Y2CJ41

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually fall on the side of "tough luck" -- go win your match otherwise don't complain, when it comes to ticket round matches. However, if this is how we are crowing a team state championship now, we need full wrestlebacks at every level.

It doesnt matter the ranking at this point...if he is #2 or #3 in the state then he better win his match then wrestle good next weekend and get up on the podium and get his medal. Watch the 170 kid from Elwood. He has a tough tough match in the ticket round but the kid is a gamer.

Just out of curiosity and no ill will meant by this, but have you ever coached high school wrestling?  The point of State Finals in any individual sport is to get the best possible wrestlers that the state has to offer in one venue to determine the top 16.  If you leave it at its simplest, then surely you can understand why the "Life isn't fair" mentality doesn't work here.  Semi-state shouldn't be about fair or unfair, crappy or good draws, it's supposed to be about getting the best possible kids to next weekend.

120 Miracle vs Garcia...anyone know if they have wrestled yet this year? Was it a close one?

No disrespect to Miracle but I don't think it matters whether they have wrestled or not.  I'm not guessing this match will be too competitive.  She truly got a crappy draw.  She probably would have been okay had she drew the Logan winner in ticket round like she did last year.  Just another case for wrestle backs. 

Just out of curiosity and no ill will meant by this, but have you ever coached high school wrestling?  The point of State Finals in any individual sport is to get the best possible wrestlers that the state has to offer in one venue to determine the top 16.  If you leave it at its simplest, then surely you can understand why the "Life isn't fair" mentality doesn't work here.  Semi-state shouldn't be about fair or unfair, crappy or good draws, it's supposed to be about getting the best possible kids to next weekend.

Bingo!

No disrespect to Miracle but I don't think it matters whether they have wrestled or not.  I'm not guessing this match will be too competitive.  She truly got a crappy draw.  She probably would have been okay had she drew the Logan winner in ticket round like she did last year.  Just another case for wrestle backs.

wasnt that long ago that they did have wrestlebacks and everyone was bitchin about gettin home after midnight....so it was changed to the present format

I will echo what a previous poster said.

I'm a fan.  When I go to state I want to know who the best eight wrestlers are.  Currently, eight wrestlers get to stand on a podium and get medals saying they finished somewhere from 1-8.  We don't get the best eight on the podium because we don't have wrestlebacks. 

I, as a paying fan, want wrestlebacks.

120- Garcia vs Miricle

Wow! That's a tough draw for Kayla! IMO she's definitely one of top 4 at 120, I agree I would like to see. Full wrestle backs to have a true top 4 but that's just a dream it seems that the current format will be in effect for awhile

Garcia & miracle were 2 of my favorites to watch last yr T SS & state, as a fan I'm torn on who to root for! I'll definitely be on my toes for this match

Good luck to both!

wasnt that long ago that they did have wrestlebacks and everyone was bitchin about gettin home after midnight....so it was changed to the present format

When did semi state have full wrestle backs?  I am not saying that you are wrong, I just don't remember there ever being full or any wrestle backs at semi state. I don't really remember how they did it when only the first and second place wrestler advanced to the state tournament.  But that was a long time ago.  But to be perfectly honest, if it took til midnight to finish, I'd bitch too!

New Pal 220 - Brown (42-1) vs. Hernandez (33-1)

Maximiliano's only loss was yesterday to Dylan Faulkenburg (43-0).  Ricky's only loss was his second match of the season, to Truman Gutapfel from Harrison OH, who is ranked second in the state of Ohio at 285.

I have never coached any sport, but my point is you are teaching kids. THEY ARE KIDS!!!! So do you as a coach teach the kid that because the IHSAA hasnt changed the format of semi state in the last 20 years he is not going to state? Or do you teach the kid that he should go out and wrestle his butt off and he is a winner no matter what? Do you set with him at the fieldhouse and tell him you should be there they ripped you off? I would hope not. I lost alot and my coach not one time told me anything that wasnt uplifting. I knew a kid from my school that wrestled 215 and weighed 180 something. He won our regional at the time and at that time the regional champ only needed one win to make it to state. He draws a kid that only has one loss and is ranked behind Jake O'brien. It was his senior year his last chance to make it to state. Did he cry about his draw? I didnt even hear him complain about his draw. Before he left for Ft. Wayne he said that the kid can be beat so I must be able to beat him. He beat that #2 ranked kid and went on to finish 5th in the state. I am all about wrestle backs at semi state because that kid that lost probably deserved to be at state. He happened to lose two weekends in a row when it mattered most. Last time I seen the kid from my school I asked him what it was like to wrestle at state. I had always wanted to but didnt put in the work in the practice room to achieve it. He told me he doesnt really think about it, but this kid is now a father and he works hard for his family. I am a realist. The IHSAA isnt going to change the format because of some bad draws. Anyone who coaches kids is giving a great responsibility to teach them to be even better men and women, then they ever were athletes. So bring on the wrestle backs. Write the IHSAA and tell them how much it sucks that we dont have wrestle backs. But if you are a coach inspire your kids dont teach them they should be entilted to this or that.

I personally like the idea of having a 5th place but I am curious as to how much time this will add to the semi state. Just by adding the 4th qualifier from regionals added more time.

I think if we added full wrestle backs it would almost have to be a 2 day tournament.

When did semi state have full wrestle backs?  I am not saying that you are wrong, I just don't remember there ever being full or any wrestle backs at semi state. I don't really remember how they did it when only the first and second place wrestler advanced to the state tournament.  But that was a long time ago.  But to be perfectly honest, if it took til midnight to finish, I'd bitch too!

i didnt say semi state...it was regionals that had wrestlebacks just a few years ago...some of them didnt get over with until 10-11pm and i remember a lot of complaining about it so why would they want wrestlebacks at semistate with all the complaining about finish times at old regionals ?

Respectfully, what are you talking about? I have never heard the coaches mantra - "State Finals in any individual sport is to get the best possible wrestlers that the state has to offer in one venue to determine the top 16."  Most coaches I know teach the kids to suck it up and 'put your destiny in your own hands', encourage the kids to embrace the opportunity, not cry about the seed.

Wrestling is one on one, beating your opponent in that match. It's about using your advantages and strengths against your opponents (be it speed, strength, stamina, technique, leverage, heart).  And guess what, some times the better guy does not win - there is no do over, it's not best two-out-of-three. More importantly, wrestling in the IHSAA tournament is about bringing it every weekend, every match, and winning matches you are not favored to win or supposed to win. It's fighting for every point. 

When did IHSAA wrestling become 'soccer trophies for all'?  That's why they are called wrestling tournaments; So should we determine top 16 by arbitrary rankings?  No, it is determined on the mat.  By your logic, you are saying those on the podium at State didn't deserve it? Or, when a kid wrestles a great match and upsets a technically superior opponent with hustle and determination, do you tell him, 'oh my bad, despite you winning this match, here is your medal, but "we need to make sure we get the best possible kids next weekend", so your match does not count'?

If you are a #1 Seed that loses in the Semi-state ticket round, it means that you lost to someone who is beatable. 

I have never coached any sport, but my point is you are teaching kids. THEY ARE KIDS!!!! So do you as a coach teach the kid that because the IHSAA hasnt changed the format of semi state in the last 20 years he is not going to state? Or do you teach the kid that he should go out and wrestle his butt off and he is a winner no matter what? Do you set with him at the fieldhouse and tell him you should be there they ripped you off? I would hope not. I lost alot and my coach not one time told me anything that wasnt uplifting. I knew a kid from my school that wrestled 215 and weighed 180 something. He won our regional at the time and at that time the regional champ only needed one win to make it to state. He draws a kid that only has one loss and is ranked behind Jake O'brien. It was his senior year his last chance to make it to state. Did he cry about his draw? I didnt even hear him complain about his draw. Before he left for Ft. Wayne he said that the kid can be beat so I must be able to beat him. He beat that #2 ranked kid and went on to finish 5th in the state. I am all about wrestle backs at semi state because that kid that lost probably deserved to be at state. He happened to lose two weekends in a row when it mattered most. Last time I seen the kid from my school I asked him what it was like to wrestle at state. I had always wanted to but didnt put in the work in the practice room to achieve it. He told me he doesnt really think about it, but this kid is now a father and he works hard for his family. I am a realist. The IHSAA isnt going to change the format because of some bad draws. Anyone who coaches kids is giving a great responsibility to teach them to be even better men and women, then they ever were athletes. So bring on the wrestle backs. Write the IHSAA and tell them how much it sucks that we dont have wrestle backs. But if you are a coach inspire your kids dont teach them they should be entilted to this or that.

Well said! Beat me to it.

Miracle top four? I hope you just mean in that semi state. Bc she would get killed at new castle. Wilson, Martin, Sparks, Kenny, and Mantel could all beat her.

If your naming tough kids you can toss in Evan Eldred too, weird Kayla has something all of those guys except Martin have??? She has been to state. I think she competes with all of those kids. The champ is coming out of merrillville anyways

I can honestly say Indiana is in the Dark Ages compared to other states with the 1 class system and no wrestlebacks. But, at this point in the season, it does no good to complain about the format. Just make the best of the situation, and realize the guy you are wrestling against got the bad draw!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.