Letter of the Law vs. Spirit of the Rule

ENoblewrestling

Usually personal attacks begin with naming the said individual of the attack. Putting up two what if statements doesn't constitute a personal attack.

all busco is asking is was it a personal attack? a simple yes or no should clear it up for everyone......heck i'm dying to know.....you seem to be beating around the bush on this one.......inquiring minds want to know......lol

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the kid is drinking water right in front of the coach and the coach is not doing anything to stop him?

What if the coach is well known for stretching the rules at every corner to gain perceived advantages for them?

Buscowrestling, I'm not sure that the above statement is directed toward you personally... It's just a "what-if".

I think the rule is a bit over the top, but it is a rule... period.

The real bummer is that the senior didn't get to wrestle.

Buscowrestling, I'm not sure that the above statement is directed toward you personally... It's just a "what-if".

I think the rule is a bit over the top, but it is a rule... period.

The real bummer is that the senior didn't get to wrestle.

aren't you supposed to be working?

Hey man! I've been extremely quiet on this board. Cut me some slack...

what?....i was just asking an innocent question......it wasn't like i was insinuating that you did anything......lol

this subject has been quite entertaining.....

see you at the charger invite saturday......looks like tony won't be wrestling, he is one sick kid at the moment so unless a miracle happens he's gonna be sitting another one out (along with tonite).......you guys been hit with the flu/cold crap that going around?

what?....i was just asking an innocent question......it wasn't like i was insinuating that you did anything......lol

this subject has been quite entertaining.....

see you at the charger invite saturday......looks like tony won't be wrestling, he is one sick kid at the moment so unless a miracle happens he's gonna be sitting another one out (along with tonite).......you guys been hit with the flu/cold crap that going around?

YES...

Here is where I have a problem with those of you who say.  "Well it is a rule so we have it enforce it all. the time".  Us as adults have seem to have lost our common sense.  Rules say that every situation has be treaded in the exact same way.  The gray area is gone.  The real truth is that most of life is lived in the gray areas.  If someone breaks a rule because they are trying to cheat. They are clearly wrong. If someone breaks a rule by accident or has no gain from breaking the rule.  We might just want to give them a warning.  

Here is where I have a problem with those of you who say.  "Well it is a rule so we have it enforce it all. the time".  Us as adults have seem to have lost our common sense.  Rules say that every situation has be treaded in the exact same way.  The gray area is gone.  The real truth is that most of life is lived in the gray areas.  If someone breaks a rule because they are trying to cheat. They are clearly wrong. If someone breaks a rule by accident or has no gain from breaking the rule.  We might just want to give them a warning.  

What are the criteria for telling the difference?  I know, I know, "common sense" but that isn't really criteria.  And with no criteria for when a rule can be broken and when it cannot, what is to stop people from saying, "Oh, well I didn't think he was trying to gain weight," whether they know better or not?

In response Hungus and others have said that I claimed the coaches who called our guy out were cowards.  I said that I felt that the act was cowardly, not the coaches themselves. 

Really??  Like I said earlier...file it under lesson learned and move on.  Keep opinions of others supposed cowardice to yourself unless you are prepared to have the the spotlight turned on you.  It appears that my advice went unheeded.

So give the wrestler a break, but punish the coach that watched him drink the water...

What are the criteria for telling the difference?  I know, I know, "common sense" but that isn't really criteria.  And with no criteria for when a rule can be broken and when it cannot, what is to stop people from saying, "Oh, well I didn't think he was trying to gain weight," whether they know better or not?

Common sense is not very common these days.  Maybe we should be teaching our kids common sense?

That would be something of value!

As has been stated by the originator of this thread, a question was asked and input was sought.  All of the criticism toward those who say "rules are rules" leads me to believe that the criticizers don't really want an opposing view point.  Additionally, by the logic of many on here, you can only suggest someone follow a rule if you always follow it yourself.  I don't know about the rest of you, but living that way would make it tremendously difficult for me to be an effective teacher, coach, or father.

The thread is titled, Letter of the Law vs. Spirit of the Rule.  I am saying the spirit of the rule is not intended to eliminate thirsty athletes who are 10+ lbs below weight.

I raise my children very conservatively and I do follow my own rules.  That part I agree with you.  Do I teach my children to only cross the mall parking lot at the crosswalk, no. 

I have also been known to park at wrestling tournaments in places that technically are not parking spaces...

Let's get back to reality...

What does this have to do with putting points on the board?

How much longer before you ask a referee varify that the parents of each athlete shake hands after the bout?

Coach, say something nice about the losing wrestler. ??? 

Coaches, coach the kids responsibly and let the officials call the bout.

I think this is a bad call by the refs and should of been a warning.  I bet a majority of the refs don't have the balls to make this call.    But I do think its mean for a kid to be drinking water in front a room full of dehydrated, half starved wrestlers.  I think thats the disgrace.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.