Letter of the Law vs. Spirit of the Rule

ENoblewrestling

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some rules are stupid but are still rules none the less...im not sure what the tournament was but it wasnt the state series so who cares...both sides make valid points but in this case no side is 100% right kid should know the rules and if we let this slide where do we draw the line but its a dumb rule and should be more clearly written either way no one wins in this arguement we can only look to improve said rule interpretation and understanding

You really don't think the views are equally represented in this thread?  I haven't gone back and counted how many have posted on each side of the argument, but it seems that there are about half dozen on each side.  If this rule (or any rule) is intended to be a "common sense" interpretation, it would be given a vague general description.  No drinking water during weigh in does not seem like a vague description.

I DO think the views are equally represented but my point is the "Morality Police" (of which you are a member) kinda talk out of both sides of their mouths.  Honestly, if you saw a kid making a dumb mistake by taking a sip of water during weigh-ins, you'd actually go to the ref and get the kid dq'd?  I really hope not Mr. Galagore.  I understand rules are there not to be broken, but when push comes to shove, would you be a big enough tool to enforce the rule the way it appears it was enforced?  I think not and that is my point, most individuals associated with wrestling would not.  Rule or no rule.

I DO think the views are equally represented but my point is the "Morality Police" (of which you are a member) kinda talk out of both sides of their mouths.  Honestly, if you saw a kid making a dumb mistake by taking a sip of water during weigh-ins, you'd actually go to the ref and get the kid dq'd?  I really hope not Mr. Galagore.  I understand rules are there not to be broken, but when push comes to shove, would you be a big enough tool to enforce the rule the way it appears it was enforced?  I think not and that is my point, most individuals associated with wrestling would not.  Rule or no rule.

I think what you're talking about is the "Unspoken Rule"...

What if the kid is drinking water right in front of the coach and the coach is not doing anything to stop him?

What if the coach is well known for stretching the rules at every corner to gain perceived advantages for them?

I assume you are referring to me here.  

1.  I have stated several times that I saw him take a drink of water, he did it right in front of me.  I didn't think about the rule, thus said nothing to stop him.  I put the blame on myself in the first post. It honestly blanked my mind.

2. If this is referring to me, would you elaborate?  I have no clue what you?re talking about, and would love to hear of a circumstance where I have "stretched the rules at every corner to gain perceived advantages".

You may not be talking about me here, but the way it was worded it seems that way, and I feel that is not an accurate portrayal of how we run our program or me as a coach.  

Again maybe I am reading it wrong but it came across as you calling out my ethics as a coach, if you?re not talking about me here could you please let me in on who you are referring to with the above statements.

What if the kid is drinking water right in front of the coach and the coach is not doing anything to stop him?

What if the coach is well known for stretching the rules at every corner to gain perceived advantages for them?

If the coach has gained or earned a reputation for "stretching the rules" then the coach can not be upset when people act on his reputation.

Either way I would not want this coach, coaching my kid. We as parents try to teach our kids right from wrong and wrong is wrong. I, as a parent, trust that coaches are trying to teach our children the same way. To me this is the most disturbing thought that a coach can have the influence that he/she does on our children and they are basically telling our kids to heck with the rules as long as you don't get caught. This not only applies to coaches but to us as adults in a whole.

Either way I would not want this coach, coaching my kid. We as parents try to teach our kids right from wrong and wrong is wrong. I, as a parent, trust that coaches are trying to teach our children the same way. To me this is the most disturbing thought that a coach can have the influence that he/she does on our children and they are basically telling our kids to heck with the rules as long as you don't get caught. This not only applies to coaches but to us as adults in a whole.

According to 1oldwrestler, you are a tool

I assume that the people that would turn a blind eye to someone rehydrating during weigh-ins would also turn a blind eye to a kid doing jumping jacks, running in place, pushups, etc to lose weight.....right? I assume Sam wouldn't turn the guy in as he wants the best kids to wrestle the best kids.

I assume that the people that would turn a blind eye to someone rehydrating during weigh-ins would also turn a blind eye to a kid doing jumping jacks, running in place, pushups, etc to lose weight.....right? I assume Sam wouldn't turn the guy in as he wants the best kids to wrestle the best kids.

I would.  Unless it is a kid I coach.  I wouldn't go around and police other teams kids.  It is none my business or other coaches.  If the other coach has ethical issues that is between the AD, school system, and the parents. It is their job to fire them.  You can't tell me you don't walk around and see stuff like this all the time.  Do you report it every time?  And I mean every time.  Because if we are being black and white here let's truly be black and white.

I would tell the kid that he shouldn't be doing it, or I would tell the coach, or I would ignore it.  I personally would not go to the ref.  I know some will ask why didn't I tell my own kid that then, its simply that we are always aware of the no attempting to lose weight portion of the rule, I wasn't thinking about the gaining weight portion.  I am well aware of that part of the rule but I didn't think about it.

I saw a kid with a piece of black tape on a black headgear that same day and said nothing to the refs, we are out there to compete, not to win points from technical violations, that in my opinion had no outcome on the match.

Joe you still haven't answered if you were referring to me in the post about "stretching the rules" , could you at least let me know if it was me you are referring to in that post?

I would tell the kid that he shouldn't be doing it, or I would tell the coach, or I would ignore it.  I personally would not go to the ref.  I know some will ask why didn't I tell my own kid that then, its simply that we are always aware of the no attempting to lose weight portion of the rule, I wasn't thinking about the gaining weight portion.  I am well aware of that part of the rule but I didn't think about it.

I saw a kid with a piece of black tape on a black headgear that same day and said nothing to the refs, we are out there to compete, not to win points from technical violations, that in my opinion had no outcome on the match.

Joe you still haven't answered if you were referring to me in the post about "stretching the rules" , could you at least let me know if it was me you are referring to in that post?

So you will let the kid with tape on his headgear get dinged later in the season for it?

FIO

Your telling me to figure it out.  Figure what out?  You seem to have accused me of stretching the rules to help my team.  I have no clue what you are referring to.  

If you are not talking about me, than please make that clear.  If you are I would like to know what you are referring to.  As a coach who frequents this board it does not seem right to throw out apparent accusations about another coach without backing them up in some way.

If you are referring to another coach, which could be the case let that be known to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.