Letter of the Law vs. Spirit of the Rule

ENoblewrestling

I just want to point out I wasted a good chunk of my prep reading this whole thread.  I'm pretty sure I giggled at least once on every page.

Just to cast my vote:  rule is a rule.  Coach your kids, explain the rules, don't be surprised if when you don't you get called out.

Now, continue so I can get back to giggling.  8)

Finally, something about this makes sense...

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scenario: I am at state...i wrestled hard and made it there i draw #1 ranked wrestler in the state friday night...during weigh ins i see kid break rule for weigh in procedures....you bet your butt i say something...is the kid getting an advantage probably not but why should he be allowed to not follow explicit rules and in the end ultimately be rewarded for it?

now normally I follow the spirit fo a rule if it was a podunk saturday tournment i probably dont say something, but if my season is on the line i would rat him in a second

bring on the hate

scenario: I am at state...i wrestled hard and made it there i draw #1 ranked wrestler in the state friday night...during weigh ins i see kid break rule for weigh in procedures....you bet your butt i say something...is the kid getting an advantage probably not but why should he be allowed to not follow explicit rules and in the end ultimately be rewarded for it?

;D

now normally I follow the spirit fo a rule if it was a podunk saturday tournment i probably dont say something, but if my season is on the line i would rat him in a second

bring on the hate

Let's cut to the chase here.  Did you just call a NECC tournament podunk?????  What is the definition of that. ;D  

bring on the hate

A good official is going to conduct the weigh-in so that no one gains an advantage or endangers themselves, and everyone who qualified wrestles that day

Cosgrove, tell them what you used to do at state weigh-ins and lets discuss the ruling...

I honestly have never heard of the necc so yes i did

fair arguement most parents dont

awood2 you would hope so but mistakes happen and things slip by people

I deleted it.  I don't do personal attacks on message boards and I felt that was getting close.

But the more I think about your comment it does get to the fundamental question at hand.  And in that state circumstance I would absolutely want to wrestle the kid on the mat and not win by a rules violation.  So you are correct that this is where we differ.

As a matter of fact I would probably ask for the refs to overturn it.

But that is just me.

One day at weigh ins a few wrestlers had not shaved their face. When the official told them they had to shave they complained asking "why do we have to shave?" The official explained to them "because it is the rule." "If you do not want to go by the rules today that would be fine" " TODAY THE FULL NELSON IS LEGAL !!

That official was the late great John Schnattner. Thank you John for putting things into the proper perspective.

I am at Elkhart Memorial and there are coaches out of their chairs, four people in each corner, people standing along the rope where there are signs that say,"absolutely no standing or sitting."  When are these officials ever gonna stop worrying about points and enforce the letter of the law?!

I am at Elkhart Memorial and there are coaches out of their chairs, four people in each corner, people standing along the rope where there are signs that say,"absolutely no standing or sitting."  When are these officials ever gonna stop worrying about points and enforce the letter of the law?!

I am not sure about worrying about points, but I do wish these kinds of rules would be enforced more rigidly.  Whether that is school administrators, the referees, who ever. 

Alright I had to make an account just to post about this. First off this coach is an amazing coach I used to wrestle for him, I even wrestled for Columbia City but I would not trade this coach for any others. Not even to have individual time with angel if that says anything. Also the man who was DQ'd was not some snot nose brat or trouble maker, I go to school with him. He is an all A student and plays more than one sport. He is a respectable guy and not only this he would never intentionally break a rule or cause trouble for his team, or another team. As to the water its a stupid rule in the first place, this kid drinks 4 or 5 water bottles full of water just in a 7 hour school day he was never drinking it just to keep his weight up. Not only that the water bottle he was using could not hold the amount of weight needed to gain to go to the next weight class, therefor its not even humanly possible to keep his weight up by drinking SIPS of water. Some people need to know more about the human body before mouthing off. Not to mention the coach or kid who complained was probably intimidated by the kid just because of his shier size from working out 3 times a day and holding some of our schools weight lifting records.

Finally, something about this makes sense...

nothing about this makes sense have any of you seen the rule book, if our coaches were told to teach the kids the rules for wrestling with all the changes made every year football season would have to end in august so wrestling practice could start 2 weeks into august and then the season could start in nov. just so the kids could learn all these stupid rules. sports are ment to be fun but the fun ended in the early 2000's when sports started getting way to political

next it will have to be wrestlers have to weigh in naked to make sure their not having small weights in their boxers to bump them up a class oh btw again sips of water dont make you gain ***potty mouth*** ask a personal trainer you will only gain what the water weights therefor if he took a total 10 sips equaling maybe a pound and yet he weighs 200 thats a snowballs chance in hell he will go over 220 i mean i dont think i even could eat 20 lbs in 1 day

nothing about this makes sense have any of you seen the rule book, if our coaches were told to teach the kids the rules for wrestling with all the changes made every year football season would have to end in august so wrestling practice could start 2 weeks into august and then the season could start in nov. just so the kids could learn all these stupid rules. sports are ment to be fun but the fun ended in the early 2000's when sports started getting way to political

next it will have to be wrestlers have to weigh in naked to make sure their not having small weights in their boxers to bump them up a class oh btw again sips of water dont make you gain potty mouth ask a personal trainer you will only gain what the water weights therefor if he took a total 10 sips equaling maybe a pound and yet he weighs 200 thats a snowballs chance in hell he will go over 220 i mean i dont think i even could eat 20 lbs in 1 day

Whoa, whoa, whoa...  I said, "Finally, something about this makes sense..." because GrecoISU was getting a good laugh during his prep (and I am working in my office on a Sunday  :-\).  I quoted what I thought made sense.  I am the last person you need to attack because I completely agree with you (if you read my comments in context).

See what you did deekay64, now I want to post a serious response  >:(

I actually found one of the officials who made that call.  When he explains what he saw it makes perfect sense.  I don't feel like it is appropriate (and most officials would agree) for an official to get on the internet and defend a contraversial call (which this was) against the ramblings of anonymous wrestling fans from around the state that are responding to bias accounts of situations that require concrete facts to decide the morality of the outcome.

If the officials involved in this sitaution were to respond to you I am sure they would say something like this:

"I made the call for a reason.  I am not taking a survey.  I am announcing a decision."

Sorry GrecoISU, you read this whole post and probably did not get the giggle you were expecting.  Get back to your prep.

Ok i do see your point there. The main point I am getting at is why would a kid go and be a tattle tale in wrestling. This is supposed to be a sport where everything is fair and only "your" talent or hardwork is what can win a match. I could see if it was something like oh he's adding weights or doing something clearly against the rules or clearly questionable where you could take a middle school wrestler and he would know. But seriously when someone is taking drinks of water and they tell on them what is wrestling getting to, just so they might not have to wrestle him. I had to wrestle Jimmy LaRowe my freshman year and Conner Lefever my sophmore and I never gave up or tried to get out of it, now I hear kids complaining about who they hve to wrestle all the time. We need less focus on the little rules and focus more on the pure competition of the sport, for instance since when could a ref with no medical degree over rule a md on a rash or scratch ? This sport is getting as bad as the nfl with rules

Ok i do see your point there. The main point I am getting at is why would a kid go and be a tattle tale in wrestling. This is supposed to be a sport where everything is fair and only "your" talent or hardwork is what can win a match. I could see if it was something like oh he's adding weights or doing something clearly against the rules or clearly questionable where you could take a middle school wrestler and he would know. But seriously when someone is taking drinks of water and they tell on them what is wrestling getting to, just so they might not have to wrestle him. I had to wrestle Jimmy LaRowe my freshman year and Conner Lefever my sophmore and I never gave up or tried to get out of it, now I hear kids complaining about who they hve to wrestle all the time. We need less focus on the little rules and focus more on the pure competition of the sport, for instance since when could a ref with no medical degree over rule a md on a rash or scratch ? This sport is getting as bad as the nfl with rules

Problem with your logic is, taking drinks during weigh-in is clearly against the rules.  There is actually a rule that prohibits drinking during weigh-in. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.