Shaking hands.....

snatch single

Honestly, how many times does a wrestler have to shake hands during a duel meet to be considered a "good sport." Captains shake hands before the duel, wrestlers shake hands before the match, wrestlers shake hands after the match, wrestlers shake hands with the entire opposing team after the duel. So you must be a bad sport if you don't shake hands with the coaches after a match.... really??

I'm tired of hearing people complain about this every time I get on the message board. Who cares, if your a coach and you get your feelings hurt by this you are probably in the wrong sport. Watch a college duel sometime and notice how often they shake hands. Im sure Tom Brands was really upset by the lack of sportsmanship showed by the Penn State wrestlers after their duel meet. Oh wait no he wasn't, he couldn't care less because he is worried about important things, like why they lost the match.

Worry about about wrestling, and please stop talking about this. It doesn't matter, and if you think shaking a coaches hand with your sweaty palm after a match makes you a good sport, good for you, shake away. Remember this is high school wrestling not youth soccer, don't be so sensitive. 

Some other wrestling states don't have this issue

FROM IOWA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION WINTER MANUAL

END OF MATCH PROTOCOL

The wrestling coach?s advisory committee has recommended, and the Board of Control has approved, that the Athletic Association develop a standardized end of match protocol.

At the end of any match, the following protocol shall be followed:

1. Referees should move quickly after a match to get in proximity of the two wrestlers to facilitate the handshake between the wrestlers and direct them to their respective team benches/corners.

2. The wrestlers shall shake hands and the referee shall declare the winner by raising the winning wrestler?s hand.

3. The wrestlers will then proceed to their respective team benches/corners without excessive celebration and without going to the opposing teams bench/corner.

4. Post match handshakes with opposing coaches are not to be permitted.

This protocol certainly does not discourage teams from going through the congratulatory line at the end of a dual meet.

Some other wrestling states don't have this issue

FROM IOWA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION WINTER MANUAL

END OF MATCH PROTOCOL

The wrestling coach?s advisory committee has recommended, and the Board of Control has approved, that the Athletic Association develop a standardized end of match protocol.

At the end of any match, the following protocol shall be followed:

1. Referees should move quickly after a match to get in proximity of the two wrestlers to facilitate the handshake between the wrestlers and direct them to their respective team benches/corners.

2. The wrestlers shall shake hands and the referee shall declare the winner by raising the winning wrestler?s hand.

3. The wrestlers will then proceed to their respective team benches/corners without excessive celebration and without going to the opposing teams bench/corner.

4. Post match handshakes with opposing coaches are not to be permitted.

This protocol certainly does not discourage teams from going through the congratulatory line at the end of a dual meet.

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know that was an actual rule in Iowa. They got it right by just eliminating all the nonsense. Hopefully Indiana well come around, but I wouldn't hold my breath. We are probably going in the opposite direction. I hear the IHSAA is contemplating adopting freestyle rules and making kids shake the hand of the referee and the table help after the match to maximize sportsmanship. 

I don't mind shaking every kid's hand. And I don't mind if they just go back to their bench. Doesn't matter to me. I don't take it personally. Part of learning to be a man is learning to control your emotions. If you have a kid who struggles with controlling himself after a loss, you're almost setting him up to fail by forcing him to shake hands with everyone.

Are we really going here again.  Wholly crap has this dead horse been flogged enough or what?  Two hand shakes are plenty.  Why's the coach have to shake anyone's hand?  He didn't wrestle, and besides he busy doing this thing called coaching his kids.  Not to mention the coach is going to shake the entire team's hand after the meet.  At what point does it just become germ spreading chaos?  On a side note, when a losing wrestler is forced to shake the other coaches hand it's more of a hand smack than a shake  which is devoid of any real sportsmanship, so what's the real point.  No other sport even comes close to this ridiculous aspect of wrestling.

I will shake every wrestlers hand if i have just gotten beat bad haha as in recently for me at midlands from flemming he killed me i got up shook his hand and then shook his coachs hands also its just being a good sport if you dont want to do it then dont but people will kind of look down at you but it is what you want to do and I choose to do it

Bro, High school wrestling isnt just about wrestling...Its teaching life lessons, and If you are not man enough to go shake someones hand then you are in the wrong sport. Its a sign of respect. This is the age where you learn your habits, and If disrespect is practiced then it will continue on. I think its great that we shake hands so much, I personally think we should all shake every refs hand also (some shake yours before the match)

It simply just comes down to respect...that all

If a wrestler wants to shake my hand at the end of a match, fine.  If he doesn't want to shake my hand, fine.  I don't look as it being disrespectful if you don't drag your beaten corpse across the mat to shake my hand.  I have been disrespected more often by wrestlers who come over after getting beat and slapping at my hand or even punching my hand when he was offering up a fist bump.  I'd agree with rules that Iowa has in place.

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know that was an actual rule in Iowa. They got it right by just eliminating all the nonsense. Hopefully Indiana well come around, but I wouldn't hold my breath. We are probably going in the opposite direction. I hear the IHSAA is contemplating adopting freestyle rules and making kids shake the hand of the referee and the table help after the match to maximize sportsmanship. 

Unnecessary spreading of germs!!!    Follow the Iowa rules

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.