How to move up in Class for Team Duals State Finals (by MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!!)

maligned

Crossfaceking-  Your idea that Matre Dei doesn't have an advantage and trying to say they just out work everyone is the foolish statement.  It is also a slap in the face to all the good small school programs to say that.  We can agree to disagree, but being able to hand pick your talent from a well populated area seems to be a distinct advantage.  You are able to receive 5a talent with a 2a name.  So no I am not a complete fool I am just not someone who buys into Matre Dei just outworks everyone.  They probably work as hard as anyone, but they get to hand pick their wresters. 

I have to reply to this because it has gotten out of control.

First of all where is this 5a talent you are talking about.  I have seen these matER dei wrestlers quite a few times this season and trust me 5a athlete is not what i think of when i see them.  To be honest aside from a few kids they are one of the most nonathletic looking teams i have ever laid eyes on.  Honestly when other teams are warming up and getting prepared to wrestle these kids are laying on each other rolling around like two bantum 50lbers at a freestyle practice.  I would imagine the average bench on that squad is around a buck twenty five seriously.  Half of these kids are freshly removed from the potent JV squad you all talk about.  CAN ANYONE NAME A TOP TWENTY TEAM THAT LOOKS AS BENIGN AND PUNY AS THE MIGHTY WILDCATS???

Second

Moody, Rueger, King, Kuhn, Vanhook, and Schnarre all live within ten miles of mater dei.  Im sorry but if willy and the mighty wildcats recruit than they are doing about as solid of a job at it as the IU football team. I mean COME ON!! why wouldnt md get these kids?????????  Imagine how good their team would be.  There are two top 10 ranked wrestling schools within 5 i repeat 5...once again FIVE MILES of each other.  this is not a coincidence its an attitude and a culture. THEY ALL HANG OUT TOGETHER????? Why wouldnt they go to the same school if md recruited

I have never said there isn't a wrestling culture down there, but to try and argue that a school of 250 kids can produce 9 straight non classed state titles without hand picking their wrestlers is where I draw the line.  If we want to look at a similiar area we can go to Adams county.  Adams county has Belmont, Adam Central, and South Adams.  All of these schools have been doing the right things for years and are either starting to reep the benifits or have been reeping the benifits for some time now.  I would say that Adam Central and South Adams have arguably one of their best teams in recent memory and Belmont is a touch down in Belmont standards.  Even when Belmont is not at their best they still are able to beat the smaller elete schools.  It will be this way 99% of the time.  If two schools are doing the right things then it comes down to who has more talent to choose from.  At schools of close to equal size this should and will flucuate year to year.  When you see a team like Matre Dei win 9 straight championships in an all division tourney you know they are hand picking wrestlers.  That doesn't mean they are recruiting, but it does show that they are picking from those who want to attend their school.  So yeah I think it is ok to say they have 5 A talent.  Maybe they only have 250 boys, but they get the choice from the best in the area.  I really don't care what you do, but to act like you are better because you outwork everyone is a myth.  That is not saying you don't work hard or don't deserve your state titles, but it does say everything is not equal in the Indiana small or medium sized schools in football, basketball, wrestling, baseball or any other sport catholic schools dominate in.  Thats also not taking anything away from the individual atheletes or their choice to go to these schools.  I don't blame anyone for attending these institutions, but don't expect the average man not to call you out,

Terry Tipton

By now, you've most likely seen the posted announcement about the selection procedures for the 2012-13 IHSWCA Classed Duals State Finals event. 

A few schools may be interested in moving up in class to be challenged by more difficult competition. 

Any school that wants to move up in class is free to move up to any class above them.  For this season, though, the time is very, very short because we will begin calculating points on Saturday.

Here is the selection procedures document.  The school classifications are in alphabetical order in the Appendix at the end of the document:

http://indianamat.com/stuff/IHSWCA_Duals_State_Finals_Selection_Procedures.pdf

If your school wants to move up in class, you MUST DECLARE your intention BEFORE SATURDAY.  The official DEADLINE is MIDNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT.

Head Coaches from 1A or 2A schools, please email IHSWCA Vice-President Danny Struck at dstruck@gcs.k12.in.us and include the following information:

Your school

Your name

Which class you want to be in (moving up, not down, of course)

If you decide to move up, you are INELIGIBLE to qualify for your originally assigned class.  You will be calculated for your chosen class only for the NEXT TWO SEASONS until classifications are re-calculated.

IF YOU THINK YOUR SCHOOL IS ONE THAT MAY WANT TO MOVE UP, TAKE ACTION!  CALL SOMEONE OR TELL SOMEONE THAT THIS IS POSTED SO THEY CAN READ IT AND MAKE A DECISION!

I have never said there isn't a wrestling culture down there, but to try and argue that a school of 250 kids can produce 9 straight non classed state titles without hand picking their wrestlers is where I draw the line.  If we want to look at a similiar area we can go to Adams county.  Adams county has Belmont, Adam Central, and South Adams.  All of these schools have been doing the right things for years and are either starting to reep the benifits or have been reeping the benifits for some time now.  I would say that Adam Central and South Adams have arguably one of their best teams in recent memory and Belmont is a touch down in Belmont standards.  Even when Belmont is not at their best they still are able to beat the smaller elete schools.  It will be this way 99% of the time.  If two schools are doing the right things then it comes down to who has more talent to choose from.  At schools of close to equal size this should and will flucuate year to year.  When you see a team like Matre Dei win 9 straight championships in an all division tourney you know they are hand picking wrestlers.  That doesn't mean they are recruiting, but it does show that they are picking from those who want to attend their school.  So yeah I think it is ok to say they have 5 A talent.  Maybe they only have 250 boys, but they get the choice from the best in the area.  I really don't care what you do, but to act like you are better because you outwork everyone is a myth.  That is not saying you don't work hard or don't deserve your state titles, but it does say everything is not equal in the Indiana small or medium sized schools in football, basketball, wrestling, baseball or any other sport catholic schools dominate in.  Thats also not taking anything away from the individual atheletes or their choice to go to these schools.  I don't blame anyone for attending these institutions, but don't expect the average man not to call you out,

Terry Tipton

I can honestly say I've been humored more by reading terry tipton than by watching an old Taxi episode with andy kauffman.  this guy is great.  he does have a valid point, it doesn't seem possible that a school with 250 boys can win a state championship 9 times in a row.    my only conclusion is that they have at some point hundreds of kids that start off wrestling in 1st grade and by the time they get to h.s., they have weeded it out to where only the top 30 kids are left.    so in all honesty, it can happen anywhere at a school this size if they can get enough interest in kids that young.  obviously other teams like p.m. have caught and to an extent passed up emd.

Terry Tipton

Mater Dei's Middle School team beat Belmont Saturday 71-37.  I'm sorry to say MD could not fill every weight class.  Only 1 kid over 150lbs.  So, 24 of Belmont's points came from forfeits.  Everyone of MD's kids has wrestled in MD's feeder program and attended Evansville westside catholic schools for 6-8+ years.  This is not to disparrage Belmont.  They are a great program with great tradition.  My point is that ALL of our wrestlers are home grown, multiple generation, westside catholic kids.  My son is in his 10th season in the feeder program.  He's 13, started when he was 4.  Proud to be a Wildcat.  MD class of 81.

I can honestly say I've been humored more by reading terry tipton than by watching an old Taxi episode with andy kauffman.   this guy is great.   he does have a valid point, it doesn't seem possible that a school with 250 boys can win a state championship 9 times in a row.    my only conclusion is that they have at some point hundreds of kids that start off wrestling in 1st grade and by the time they get to h.s., they have weeded it out to where only the top 30 kids are left.    so in all honesty, it can happen anywhere at a school this size if they can get enough interest in kids that young.  obviously other teams like p.m. have caught and to an extent passed up emd.

come to MD any Sunday afternoon after the State Finals. The Gym is packed; there are at least 8 schools there. Each team having at least 20 wrestlers if not more. each school wrestling 2 duals per Sunday, besides this the school has a elite MS wrestling program going from Indy, to Louisville, to Eastern Ky. the coaches get paid well too. they provide their own rooms, gas to go, meals; they do it for the love of the program. those same elite program coaches are also at those Sunday Meets scouting for the best talent to try to talk the parents of those kids to join the elite program. They also started the MD kids club, so the elementary kids can wrestle also ( mostly in Indy ) So TTipton this is how you build a good High school team.  it also dosnt hurt to have the same JV coach for over 25 years- thats called consistancy,  in the instruction/practice room. do they recruit. Yes By winning all the time; by having kids beg their parents to let them wrestle, by having kids who go the extra mile for 11 years to be Varsity for 1 year, to have 1 moment to stand in the spotlight. Start them young,  teach them to give 110%. Coaches Goebel and Schaeffer have been able to do it! oh and like it has been said do that for the last 40+ years. I know I went there for one year and my son was in the program for 4 before he had to transfer, Gee if they recruit wouldnt they offer one of their own to stay at the school instead of transferring to their arch rival where he can try to beat them ?. So quit saying they Recruit and cheat . They DONT.

Here is Mater Dei's line-up:

106- Wyatt Seng, wrestled for St. Philip K-8.

113-  Alex Johnson, wrestled for Westside Catholic K-8.

120- Sam Goebel, wrestled for St. Philip K-8.

126- Josh Pierre, wrestled for Weside Catholic K-8.

132-  Branson Schroeder, wrestled for Resurrection K-8.

138-  Jake Lannert, wrestled for St. Joe K-8.

145-  Alex Bassemier, wrestled for St. Philip K-8.

152-  Logan Folz, wrestled for St. Philip K-8.

160-  Mahlon Parkinson, wrestled for St. Philip K-8.

170 - Alex Schneider, wrestled for St. Joe K-8.

182-  Dalton Brandenstein, wrestled for Resurrection K-8.

195-  Dane Maurer, wrestled for St. Joe K-8.

220-  Evan Collins,  wrestled for Holy Redeemer and St. Joe K-8

275-  Nathan Wright, wrestled for St. Joe K-8

All of the varsity members wrestled for the Mater Dei Junior Wildcats.  If you keep your old ISWA books, look up these names and you will find them listed multiple times.  St. James, Holy Redeemer, Corpus Christi and St. Wendel also feed into Mater Dei and regularly contribute to the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams.

This year's edition is a typical Mater Dei team:  The average member has ten+ years of wrestling experience, wrestled for a top-notch middle school program and grew up in an incredibly tough and competitive grade school league.  Additionally, this team is followed and zealously supported by a very large, loyal and dedicated fan base.

ttipton.....i don't know you or alot of the people posting on this subject but regardless, i gotta give you some kudos for standing behind your posts.....you don't give up or give in.....you just keep coming......who's right and who isn't?.....who the heck knows but you've sure kept this post going.....and that's what this forum is all about.....

This year's edition is a typical Mater Dei team:  The average member has ten+ years of wrestling experience, wrestled for a top-notch middle school program and grew up in an incredibly tough and competitive grade school league.  Additionally, this team is followed and zealously supported by a very large, loyal and dedicated fan base.

Forgot to mention several of them are related (sons, brothers, nephews, cousins) to former Wildcats.

All of the varsity members wrestled for the Mater Dei Junior Wildcats.  If you keep your old ISWA books, look up these names and you will find them listed multiple times.  St. James, Holy Redeemer, Corpus Christi and St. Wendel also feed into Mater Dei and regularly contribute to the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams.

One correction....Nathan Wright is a St. Philip boy (so quit trying to claim him for St. Joe - Coach King can't claim all the best ones...lol!!!)....and let's not forget that although St. James is an MD feeder school, we've spent years watching great kids come up through our feeder program only to go to Gibson Southern when it comes time for high school...

It is absolutely amazing to see the kind of support MD gets for the feeder program, the MD Kids Club, and the Jr. Wildcats....and lets not forget...the Maurer Coughlin Wrestling school was held at MD this summer and there were kids from ALL OVER there...not just MD feeder/high school....I'll be watching several of those "non-MD" wrestlers at Sectionals tomorrow....and more than one will likely be in the finals....so maybe those kids can provide a bit of insight into how those two former MD standouts helped them in their drive for the title (and...*gasp*....not one of them was recruited to wrestle for MD!!!)

I don't give a ***potty mouth*** if their inbred! All I want at this point is to know, who won in the Evansville Reitz panther hill classic? If I would have said " I love Mater Dei, How did our boys do in the tourney? I would have had an answer yesterday! Anyone disagree? Guess Mater Dei didn't do so well, watch, see if I'm wrong!

So when a kid wrestles an ISWA tournament and he has on a Mater Dei singlet and his profile says Mater Dei, he doesn't actually go to Mater Dei?

IS this question real? 

Just like when you go and 5-8 yo are wearing Perry Meridian, Yorktown or Avon  singlets,  NO they do not attend class at those HS, as all are  grades 9-12.  They wrestle for the wrestling clubs , which is hosted by these HS's.

So the ACTUAL STATISTICS show that if Mater Dei is recruiting, they must be going after 4 or 5 year olds to draw them into the feeder system.

My question is, why don't they recruit better wrestlers? Their wrestlers are rarely dominant in the individual state tourney, and MD has never produced a wrestler that went on to be dominant in college. In fact, VERY few MD wrestlers have gone on to wrestle varsity at the D1 college level -- I am guessing around 5, but that may be high. As the above poster pointed out, this team is not made up of elite wrestler-athletes. If they recruit, they do a very poor job.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.