Post Match Celebrations

DCHawks149

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There comes a time as coaches that we must repect the integrity of this great sport and make sure our kids know how to react to wins especially in some situations because it makes me sick to my stomach watching what I saw last night.

Well now I got to know... what was it?

There comes a time as coaches that we must repect the integrity of this great sport and make sure our kids know how to react to wins especially in some situations because it makes me sick to my stomach watching what I saw last night.

i must say i agree with you 100% this aint the NFL this is high school wrestling.......

and i will add this i know you are speaking the truth cause i must have seen you win like a million matches and never saw anything other than respect for the sport and your opponent

and willis got a little too excited after his 1st period pin.......... he did show his superiority on the mat and should have left it at that

getting a pin in that fashion in a high stakes dual when it was the very first match of the dual would be very hard for many people to control their emotions. 

there was a lot of hype and pressure placed on this dual, which was also placed on these young kids.  I would say the overwhelming majority of them handled it extremely well.

getting a pin in that fashion in a high stakes dual when it was the very first match of the dual would be very hard for many people to control their emotions.  

I think your picking kids apart just for the sake of doing so, the PM 145lbs reaction after his win was probably the biggest display of emotion, but understand they are kids and I would much rather see them hyped and emotional than acting like robots. What makes this sport special is it is you and your opponent, and nobody to hide behind or to blame, and to get that huge win while having the fans screaming, booing or whatever their reaction stirs alot of emotion in many of these young men so give them a break and take into account their ages and the intense situation that moves them!! Understand what AJ is saying above, and put yourself in their position at 15 - 17 yrs old, even if you wrestled how many of us were in matches as intense as what we saw last night?

I think your picking kids apart just for the sake of doing so, the PM 145lbs reaction after his win was probably the biggest display of emotion, but understand they are kids and I would much rather see them hyped and emotional than acting like robots. What makes this sport special is it is you and your opponent, and nobody to hide behind or to blame, and to get that huge win while having the fans screaming, booing or whatever their reaction stirs alot of emotion in many of these young men so give them a break and take into account their ages and the intense situation that moves them!!

I am not the one picking them apart... if you read my statements I am defending them based on the same reasons that you mentioned...

however, there is a huge gap between acting like a robot and going overboard with emotion.... and it is not one or the other, there are a lot of areas in between...

There is nothing wrong with showing emotions in sports, it is just when people over do it or have it staged that it becomes a problem.  I have seen many kids get excited after a match and most of the time it is alright in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with showing emotions in sports, it is just when people over do it or have it staged that it becomes a problem.  I have seen many kids get excited after a match and most of the time it is alright in my opinion.

Same point I was about to make. Agree completely.  As, long as the athletes can keep themselves in check a little emotion is a big dual meet should be expected.

I have absolutely no problem with any kid going crazy if the situation of the win warrants it (everyone shows emotion differently),but am partial to the way my younger son celebrates a huge win, I can tell he is crazy ecstatic with a win by the little fist pump at his side that he does to himself.....for himself. Then he politely shakes the oppent's hand and leaves the mat.

Wills is fine a little too much for how he dominated that match yet he's trying to fire up his team and that's what leaders do.  McClurg is just silly for sure and will learn once  he wrestles more important matches and I love emotion and it must be shown especially in this dual  just we need to tell them specifically what is not allowed on the mats. They are KIDS yet they are representing their teams, their coaches and their school as well as themselves.

I agree 100% -- That was a big match (#1 v #2), a ton of hype leading up to the dual and being the first match, I think it was completely understandable if not out right acceptable. Duals are team events and to celebrate taking a 6pt lead can help fire-up your team. Let's face it Cathedral needed every edge they could get going up against Perry.

It starts at the top. When you have coaches encouraging the booing of an official to the high school student section while waving his arms in the air and walking along the side of the mat, then the outbursts of emotion from kids should expected. The meet had been hyped up for weeks and I am sure the wrestlers wanted to put on a display for the crowd. This being said, a celebration is fine when done in the right fashion and with class and respect for both yourself, your team/ school, your family, and most importantly your opponent.

I am almost sure Metcalf is a robot and not human.

Metcalf may not celebrate big victories, but he is more than capable of disrespecting his opponents on nationally broadcasted post match interviews and I think we all have seen how he reacts to someone else celebrating a big victory over him (...Caldwell).

I don't think Brent Metcalf should be our moral compass...

Personally, I like seeing emotion in our sport

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.