Seniors: Winning state the first time there?

Y2CJ41

Usually an accomplishment like that tells me one of two things:

They made a commitment to put in a huge amount of work during the off season and in season allowing them to make great strides in their abilities.

and/or

They had a very daunting task (unlucky draw) in the first or second round of semi-state last year which prevented them from at least qualifying for state last year.

Either way it still worth the extra recognition for being able to surpass the veteran state qualifiers to win a state title.

Correct... I think he lost to the 160 from Seymour  :)

Yeah, Brent Smith.  I'm guessing a cradle may have even fell into play, but its been a few years so my minds a little fuzzy.

He is actually our motivational story for many young wrestlers in the program.  A pudgy kid they called Theodore (Chipmunks)  with an uneventful middle school career, poor freshman JV year, sub-par JV sophomore outing, average at best junior campaign in the varsity lineup, and then places in state his senior season.  Brent went on to wrestle for West Point, leading the team in pins and second in wins his senior year.  Captain Smith is currently serving his second tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Will Hill  (171)- Lawrence Central '95 over Dan Pleak

I think you are right... I would have thought Will Hill would have qualified before his senior year but 171 was loaded his sophmore and junior year at New Castle.  Dan Pleak Cath, Deon Brimmage Pike, kid from Greenfield Central (cant remember his name) and a couple others. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.