Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament?

blastdouble119

That is impressive! Hoever, cmon SpartanDog, 4 FALLS before the Third Period in the State Finals. You would have to agree an even more impressive feat.

I will admit that is impressive. I also looked at the opponents of each. Trey beat 2 unranked wrestlers to get to the semi's then #10 to get to the finals. In the finals won by fall over #14..... Doug defeated #11 friday night TF unranked in the quarters,  then #5 in the semi's and #3 in the finals. Much higher level of opponents to shut out.

I believe that the IHSWCA will announce the winner of the Mumby Award for Outstanding wrestler within the next few days. I'm sure they will post the results of the voting on Indiana Mat  :) Lots of excellent choices this year, but a few that stand out. Good luck to all...

I will admit that is impressive. I also looked at the opponents of each. Trey beat 2 unranked wrestlers to get to the semi's then #10 to get to the finals. In the finals won by fall over #14..... Doug defeated #11 friday night TF unranked in the quarters,  then #5 in the semi's and #3 in the finals. Much higher level of opponents to shut out.

Throw the rankings out at State.  They don't mean jack. 

I didn't mean to say Reese wasn't ranked number 1, but I was more talking about the competition of beating other ranked guys.  Those 16 guys were the 16 that got there.  Some of the top 20 didn't get there.  To go out and pin all 4 opponents before the 3rd period, in my mind is more impressive then beating #2, 5 or whatever.  Say number #2 didn't even make it to State, well either he wasn't good enough to be ranked #2 or he had an off day and didn't make it.  He PINNED ALL 4 that he faced !!

Nice come back there SpartanDog, figured that would be your response!

My hat's off to both wrestlers for some outstanding performances.

I believe that the IHSWCA will announce the winner of the Mumby Award for Outstanding wrestler within the next few days. I'm sure they will post the results of the voting on Indiana Mat  :) Lots of excellent choices this year, but a few that stand out. Good luck to all...

Just like they have the past 15 years.....

I think Tsirtsis, Molloy, Reese, or Welch would all be great choices.  I might lean towards Reese if I had to make a choice based on the 4 early pin factor.  Welch's 4 shutouts were impressive ... but that finals match was painfully lacking in action.  Did the refs not realize there was an awful amount of stalling going on?  Is there a rule that you can't call stalling in the finals?    ???

Has to be Reece or Goldman. Reece pinning the field, and it is not his fault they weren't as highly ranked, he just wrestled who they put in front of him. And Goldman for pulling off two upsets on the way when nobody was picking him to finish above 5th. (# 3 Berry of Merrillville, and # 2 Stevenson who beat # 1 Sliga.)

I think Tsirtsis, Molloy, Reese, or Welch would all be great choices.  I might lean towards Reese if I had to make a choice based on the 4 early pin factor.  Welch's 4 shutouts were impressive ... but that finals match was painfully lacking in action.  Did the refs not realize there was an awful amount of stalling going on?  Is there a rule that you can't call stalling in the finals?    ???

I didn't say this first because I thought maybe I missed something. But did Welch make one offensive move in the final? Mullins tried a few unsuccessful shots and one throw that was out of bounds. I don't recall Welch making a single move. I might be wrong, but I watched pretty closely.

Tsirtsis was outstanding, but four pins is a rare feet. I'd give the award to Reese. I was also amazed at how good Molloy was. He was a takedown machine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.