Changes?

The Guru

I would start the seasonafter Thanksgiving,  Start competing in January, and have the state tournament the first week of March.  That would allow wrestlers and their families better holiday time and it could increase interest in our sport----as we would be more in the dead of winter.  It allows football players a bit of a break as well.  I understand that could put a kink into spring sports.

What about upping the referee requirements? Continuing education, clinics etc? We have some great officials and a lot of bad ones. There seems to be very little in between. Anybody know what the minimum requirements are?

Making the referees go through some time of physical training. Some cant move around that well and cost wrestlers matches.

Faster paced action i.e. faster calls on stalling, stalemate etc. Just my humble opinion, if you want more spectators(more income) then make it more exciting.

What about upping the referee requirements? Continuing education, clinics etc? We have some great officials and a lot of bad ones. There seems to be very little in between. Anybody know what the minimum requirements are?

I do notice a vast difference when I watch the college wrestling on tv. I wonder what the high school refs are paid and what is the difference in requirements to be a ref in high school as opposed to college?

Usually 1st and 2nd year officials are not considered for varsity wrestling. It takes 3 sectionals to be considered for regionals, 3 regionals to be considered for semi-state 3 semi-states to be considered for state. All athletic directors are sent ballots rank referees (many do not).

Also the IHSAA considers it a privilege and severely underpays the officials. Many of the officials that have been doing it for years do not want the pressure or the B.S. that goes with it.

I officiated a 4 way middle school meet last weekend and was done by early afternoon and made more money than the officials that were working the semi-states. 

For those who want to take the test we need more officials. Or just read the rule book.

I have long been an advocate of taking stalling out of the disqualification sequence. If stalling were called as one point throughout the match after the initial warning, I feel that it would be called more often. We already have this with starting cautions. Just my thoughts.

Usually 1st and 2nd year officials are not considered for varsity wrestling. It takes 3 sectionals to be considered for regionals, 3 regionals to be considered for semi-state 3 semi-states to be considered for state. All athletic directors are sent ballots rank referees (many do not).

Also the IHSAA considers it a privilege and severely underpays the officials. Many of the officials that have been doing it for years do not want the pressure or the B.S. that goes with it.

I officiated a 4 way middle school meet last weekend and was done by early afternoon and made more money than the officials that were working the semi-states. 

For those who want to take the test we need more officials. Or just read the rule book.

Additionally....

To get your initial officials license you must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school. You must pay a $60 fee each season and pass a one time 100 question test (Part I Test) with a 75% or better. At this point you are considered a Registered official. In years past you could not officiate a sectional your first year, but with the recent shortage of officials they have generally relaxed that requirement to some degree.

In order to work past the sectional (regional SS or state) the requirements become stricter. To do so you must be a Certified or Professional official, which requires you to attend a 4 hour Certification Clinic and take a 100 question test (Part II Test) each December and score 90% or better. The certification clinics are offered every two years by the IHSAA, although many associations go ahead and host a similiar clinic in the non certification years. The Professional status is awarded to those officials who have reached the highest level by attending additional clinics, mentoring younger officials, conducting clinics, being an IHSAA rules interpreter, and presenting approved IHSAA trainings and association meetings. To become a Professional, you obviously have to have first been Registered and then Certified.

Officials are assigned to the IHSAA tournament series based on a set of criteria. 128 officials are used for the sectional, 64 officials are used for the Individual Regional, 32 officials are used for the Team Regionals, 48 officials (up from 36 in previous years) officials are used for the SS's, 12 officials are used for the Individual State Finals, and 8 officials are used for the Team State Finals. The assignment of the officials are based on the following:

1. Coaches Ratings

2. Tournament Series Progression

3. Certified or Professional Status

4. Passing the Part II Test with at least 90%

5. Number of votes received

6. Strength of Schedule

Coaches Ratings: Each December coaches receive a ballot via their AD with a list of eligible officials to work the tournament series. Coaches rate the officials as 1-Poor, 2-Fair, 3-Good, 4-Excellent, or 5-Superior. An average is figured and the officials are placed in ratings order at the IHSAA office.

Tournament Series Progression: As mentioned by Dan above, you must work 3 sectionals before you can do a regional, 3 regionals before you can do a SS, and 3 SS's before you can do the state finals.

Certified or Professional Status: You must have attended the bi-annual certification clinic.

Part II Test: You must pass with at least 90% each year in December to insure that you are up to date with current rules.

Number of votes received: You must have at least 5 votes to work a sectional, 10 votes to work a regional, 15 votes to work a SS, and 20 votes to work the state finals.

Strength of Schedule: In the event of a tie in the ratings, the IHSAA would consider the strength of your schedule in order to determine which official would get the nod.

Keep in mind that not all officials apply for the tournament series. There are approximately 420 licensed officials in Indiana, however, only about 200 actively officiate HS matches. Many are coaches, retired officials that keep their license, guysthat just want to work MS matches, or newbies that have yet to jump in with both feet. The IHSAA tournament is probably also the lowest paying tournaments that you would do during the season, as the individual schools determine payment during the season, while the IHSAA determines payment in the series. I believe the Sectional pays $100, the Individual Regional pays $75, the Team Regional pays $50, the SS pays $120, and the State Finals pays in the neighborhood of $160. All of these meets also pay $.25 per mile. Personally, my lowest paying Saturday tournament during the season is $225, so the tournament series is definately not a get rich opportunity.

This season 151 officials applied to do the tournament series, so the criteria above was used to determine the top 128 eligible officials to work the sectional. The key word is "eligible", as the 5th rated official may have only worked one prior sectional, and is thus not eligible for a regional or above. The 20th rated official may have only received 14 votes and thus could not work a SS. The 33rd rated official may have only scored 89% on the Part II test and thus could not work the tournament. These are just a few examples of how a higher "rated" official may not work as far into the tournament as a lower rated official.

I agree,  it's not a perfect system, and as a senior official I personally work year around to recruit new guys into the fold. I encourage seniors to consider getting licensed after graduation, and when I see the same guys over and over in the crowd I encourage them to jump in. If you like the sport it's the best seat in the house, you get in for free, you get free food, and you get paid to be there.

The bottom line though in getting the best guys at the highest levels is for the coaches to cast their votes. Good, bad, or indifferent, it lets us all know where we need to be! Anybody interested in signing up, all of the information is available at www.ihsaa.org or feel free to contact one of the senior officials. We'd love to have you, and I hope this helps explain the requirments.

If you get a takedown in the center circle you get a bonus point. Might help to make everyone wrestle in the center of the mat........or run farther away depending on how you look at it

Sounds good in theory but I can see a few issues possibly: 

1. Unless you are a takedown monster you'll be moving out of the circle quickly as to not give up an additional point.

2.It's not to hard to sprawl just enough to be out of that small center area and prevent a TD that legitimately began there from finishing there.

3. It would allow someone who actually started a takedown near the edge of the mat but who finishes in the center to get the bonus point.  Or same issue if someone same situation if someone lifted and carried their opponent back to the center. 

So in essence it may not actually keep people wrestling in the center of the mat, as much as, reward people who happen to find their way back there in one way or another. 

I do like the idea of the college out of bounds rule though to help a little more with people riding the line.  I'm even in favor of the step out rule they have in freestyle if its modified to allow one or two warnings first to ward of any accidental step outs that may occur during the process or actual legit wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.