JV wrestler at state

fearless fly

I know back during their long run Mater Dei had a time or two where a late season replacement ended up making it to state.  

This would beg the question what the highest a late season replacement (came in full time after Winter Break) placed in the tournament?

Travis Thatcher was JV his sophomore year until the varsity broke his hand at Mishawaka. He ended up a state qualifier.

You  mat have heard of the guy that was third on that depth chart too----- Daniel Meyer- who went to HWT for the Al Smith and also qualified for state!!

Someone from EMD will have the answer to this, but I remember hear at State that an EMD kid was a high State placer in the early part of the last decade, possibly a finalist, that was JV until the varsity guy got hurt that season. 

Perry Meridian guys can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that Logan Cooper qualified for state at 215 last season after spending a majority of the season on Perry's JV..

I am not from Perry but if Logan was JV it was his Sophmore year. He was Varsity last year, my son wresteld him at the North Montgomery Holiday classic.

It was Rob Mallory, JV 152 until the varsity (name escapes me) got injured at the Oakwood Duals in  St. Louis.  Mallory placed 6th at State in 1998, I believe.

Tim Scott was injured in practice and Rob Mallory replaced him right before the tourney. Keep in mind, Rob wasn't really a JV kid, but a tough Senior wrestler in a weekly wrestle-off battle.  When he had to step in to fill in for Scott, he showed his true grit and made a great run at State.  Both Scott and Mallory were talented wrestlers, and again, this situation showed the depth of MD's wrestling room that year. 

Perry Meridian guys can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that Logan Cooper qualified for state at 215 last season after spending a majority of the season on Perry's JV..

thats correct also Jake masengale started the season as the JV 160 before moving up to 171 and making it to state

Not to show the love for the family to much but Ben baker was jv about 85% of this year and is now a state qualifier.

Ryan Baker

Yeah..but he is a Baker.....Congrats Ben..I had always hoped Trey would be at state with one of his cousins. Great job!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.