New Location for Southern Semi-State

TripleB

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seymour has a big gym and is more centraly located so its even distance for everone

I have been to Seymour's gym for Semistate.  Not big enough, not enough seating, not enough parking, not enough concessions, and mostly terrible viev of the mats.  Whichever side you are sitting on, you cannot see the closest half of the two mats on your side.  Terrible place to hold the Semistate.

I have been to Seymour's gym for Semistate.  Not big enough, not enough seating, not enough parking, not enough concessions, and mostly terrible viev of the mats.  Whichever side you are sitting on, you cannot see the closest half of the two mats on your side.  Terrible place to hold the Semistate.

+1 here I hated Seymour

I have been to Seymour's gym for Semistate.  Not big enough, not enough seating, not enough parking, not enough concessions, and mostly terrible viev of the mats.  Whichever side you are sitting on, you cannot see the closest half of the two mats on your side.  Terrible place to hold the Semistate.

Some have just been spoiled by Roberts Stadium and in thier view a new location should be as good if not better than it.  I will say I enjoy Roberts Stadium aside from the long journey there.  

I'm not sure Seymour will be holding Semi-state again (though we may like individual regionals instead), but Seymour to say it was not big enough isn't exactly true.  If used properly Seymour's space was being enough to hold such an event.  Try someplace like M-ville Semi-State and then let me know what you think.  Unlike some years if we utilizing the top side bleachers too their would be plenty of seating in the top sections for all without being to crowded.  While parking was crowded spaces was available on in the street parking and the back parking lot for those that got their later.  It just ment walking a few feet further than some wanted to.  Also like most events seating and parking were never issues after the first round since most people cleared out anyway.  By using more concession stands (only one or two of the four  top ones were used before) their would be plenty of concessions.  I'm not sure how bad the view was from certain locations but moving the mats slightly towards the center more and by people having room to sit in a better location most of the problem would be solved too.  Again, I'm not sure Seymour will be holding a Semi-State again so this is not a pitch to get it back, but rather an explination that is could be a good location if used better.    

If we do not find a deal that works with the new E-ville stadium I'm not sure where else besides IU hosting we could get a large enough location besides Seymour.  But, hey I would be all for Bloomington South/North hosting at IU and we can pick up Individual Regionals from them.

Seymour has a big gym and is more centraly located so its even distance for everone

Seymour is more centrally located?  From where?  What map are you looking at?  

It's a three-hour trip from Evansville which is what some teams have to travel now.  How is that more centrally located?  The AD at Seymour didn't want to host it anymore and gave it up.  The seating for teams was horrible.  They used to pull out about three rows of bleachers on floor.  That was never enough.  

Before that, the semistate was held at Bloomington North HS, with it being at Bloomington South one year.  Still a three-hour trip from E'ville.

I'm more than a bit prejudiced but when the semistate moved to Evansville, I think the attendance increased therefore providing more revenue.  I don't think the IHSAA (I know that's a dirty word right now) will move it as long as that keeps up.  I don't know where they'll hold it after the new arena is done, but I hope it never leaves.

Let's all hope that SS NEVER leaves Eville. There is no other venue around that can provide what Roberts Stadium does. Ample parking, ample seating, and the wrestlers will tell you (from the floor) there is nothing else like it for a SS. The SPACE on the floor is a tournament director's dream. You have the flexibility to do whatever you want or need. The atmosphere there is awesome and every kid down there deserves every second of it. And it is HYPE'D.  It is several steps up from a normal gymnasium. It is an excellent building block to prep wrestlers for the different "feel" the next level (State) has.

I've also heard that Roberts would not be torn down until the new one was all the way up.

I agree w/ theckman, I know I'm prejudice but that drive to Seymour sucked!

Seymour is more centrally located than Evansville is.  You don't realize that the Evansville semi-state encompasses pretty much everything south of Indianapolis.  

I most certainly do realize it encompasses everything south of Indy.  And it used to include Perry Meridian, Roncalli, Southport, Indy Washington and some others.  That still doesn't make Seymour more centrally located when you're talking about places like Terre Haute, Vincennes, Princeton, and Evansville.

Seymour is more centrally located in the state of Indiana, I suggest you look at a map.  It's just off of I-65 which runs directly through the middle of Indiana.  As for the drive Evansville is a two to three hour trip for most of the teams in the HHC.  Also, with the exception of the Castle regional, the other three regionals are all more than an hour closer to Seymour than they are to Evansville.

I'm sure most can realize if we went for the place what was prefectly central in location or had the shortest overall driving distance for all we would be in a 2A gym someplace.  After narrowing the area down to gyms that can hold such and event in Southern Indiana I would say Evansville old/new Stadium (corner of area), Seymours Gym (semi-central), or Assembly Hall at IU (semi-central)  may be the only decent location.  Unless you can put Hinkle Fieldhouse (corner of area) in that region too???

Seymour is more centrally located in the state of Indiana, I suggest you look at a map.  It's just off of I-65 which runs directly through the middle of Indiana.  As for the drive Evansville is a two to three hour trip for most of the teams in the HHC.  Also, with the exception of the Castle regional, the other three regionals are all more than an hour closer to Seymour than they are to Evansville.

Seymour IS more centrally located than Evansville, ok (actually, almost anywhere is more centrally located than E'ville).  But it is still a three-hour trip from this side of the state.  The Seymour gym was not very fan or team friendly.  Not enough hotels (we had to stay in Scottsburg and Columbus at times) and there were not enough eating establishments to handle the amount of people.  If you can find a place around Bloomington, even though it's still a three-hour drive from here, THAT I could understand, but not Seymour.

Regardless of where you put it, the Evansville semistate includes such a large area somebody is going to travel 3 or more hours.

This was a topic to discuss other options in case Roberts Stadium wasn't up after this year, which is why there was talk about moving it out of Evansville.  Its all theoretical and there is no need to get upset.  I would agree though that somewhere in Bloomington would be a good idea, the afforementioned Assembly Hall would be my pick, but good luck getting IU to let the IHSAA use it.

just to throw it out there what does Paoli and BNL gyms look like?  They prob would be the dead center of the area if you wanted to be technical. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the SS come back to seymour though.  I agree you can't beat roberts stadium but I also would love a 20 min drive over a 3 hour one I have now.

This was a topic to discuss other options in case Roberts Stadium wasn't up after this year, which is why there was talk about moving it out of Evansville.  Its all theoretical and there is no need to get upset.  I would agree though that somewhere in Bloomington would be a good idea, the afforementioned Assembly Hall would be my pick, but good luck getting IU to let the IHSAA use it.

You are correct.  It's just as one who made those three-hour treks to Bloomington and Seymour it sticks in my craw when people complain about the drive to Evansville.

How about this for opening another can of worms: when I-69 is completed, it won't be a three-hour drive from Indy to get here anymore.

It's a three-hour trip from Evansville which is what some teams have to travel now.  How is that more centrally located?  The AD at Seymour didn't want to host it anymore and gave it up.  The seating for teams was horrible.  They used to pull out about three rows of bleachers on floor.  That was never enough.  

Before that, the semistate was held at Bloomington North HS, with it being at Bloomington South one year.  Still a three-hour trip from E'ville.

I'm more than a bit prejudiced but when the semistate moved to Evansville, I think the attendance increased therefore providing more revenue.  I don't think the IHSAA (I know that's a dirty word right now) will move it as long as that keeps up.  I don't know where they'll hold it after the new arena is done, but I hope it never leaves.

You look at a map! some schools like Franklin Avon Mooresville Indian Creek all them have to drive 4 hours to get to Eville so i dont wannahere about your 3 hour trip anywhere lol

I may be wrong, but I believe the regional with the biggest attendance at this semistate is the Castle regional.  More people attend from EMD, Reitz, Castle and Memorial than any two other Regionals combined.  Shouldn't it be the place with the least drive for the most people?  Plus I think you get more people in this area who will attend if it is close rather than 3 hours away.

So you're taking into account the fanbase but not the wrestlers? After sitting in the middle of an MD crowd at semi-state a few years ago, I believe MD, Castle, Memorial, and all of the other Evansville teams fans are devoted enough to travel where ever their teams go.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.