New Location for Southern Semi-State

TripleB

I'm sure most can realize if we went for the place what was prefectly central in location or had the shortest overall driving distance for all we would be in a 2A gym someplace.  After narrowing the area down to gyms that can hold such and event in Southern Indiana I would say Evansville old/new Stadium (corner of area), Seymours Gym (semi-central), or Assembly Hall at IU (semi-central)  may be the only decent location.  Unless you can put Hinkle Fieldhouse (corner of area) in that region too???

Hulman Center in Terre Haute?

Edit: Sorry, I should have read all the posts first.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no facilities as good as Roberts Stadium south of Indy.  Assembly Hall is not as good as Roberts.  Seating is not nearly as good and I bet there isn't as much floor space.  Most IU fans even agree that the seating is sub-standard.  Not only that, IU probably isn't going to give you that building during basketball season.  There isn't one high school gym with the abilty to hold the semi-state to the current standard.

Yeah, seating in Assembly Hall in Bloomington sucks. No matter what you are watching.

I figured we were doing you guys a favor by showing you there can be more wrestling teams in the state than just right in E-ville.   ;)

So when does that start? 

OOOOHHHHHH SNAP! 

Just joking!!!!  ;D

Anyone that believes the ihsaa is going to give up that extra revenue that they get by having the semi-state in a real city with lots of people so it makes more sense geographically needs to quit dreaming

Since about 1985 the Southern Semi-State has been at Bloominting South, Bloomington North, Seymour and Evansville. I don't know about you guys but Bloomington and Seymour is not south to me. Until the Semi-State was moved to Evansville we had to travel to Seymour 3 hours, losing an hour to the time zone, then the next week travel back to Indy 3.5 hours also losing an hour. When you went to Seymour there were more fans from our Southwest corner of the state than anywhere else. Why should our teams and fans have to travel 2 weekends in a row 3 hours away? Its even crazier to mention the Hulman Center or Hinkle Fieldhouse as possible "Southern" Semi-State locations. Our basketball team back in2002 won the regional at Seymour and the next week played semi-state at Hinkle Fieldhouse. We drove 3.5 hours and Pike drove 10 minutes. How fair was that? I hope the Semi-State never leaves Evansville.

Since about 1985 the Southern Semi-State has been at Bloominting South, Bloomington North, Seymour and Evansville. I don't know about you guys but Bloomington and Seymour is not south to me. Until the Semi-State was moved to Evansville we had to travel to Seymour 3 hours, losing an hour to the time zone, then the next week travel back to Indy 3.5 hours also losing an hour. When you went to Seymour there were more fans from our Southwest corner of the state than anywhere else. Why should our teams and fans have to travel 2 weekends in a row 3 hours away? Its even crazier to mention the Hulman Center or Hinkle Fieldhouse as possible "Southern" Semi-State locations. Our basketball team back in2002 won the regional at Seymour and the next week played semi-state at Hinkle Fieldhouse. We drove 3.5 hours and Pike drove 10 minutes. How fair was that? I hope the Semi-State never leaves Evansville.

Yea Coach!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the minimum capacity necessary to hold semi-state?  What is Seymour's capacity?

Seymour has the 4th largest high school gym in the nation with around 8,100 seating compacity (wooden bleachers though largest set still used in the world from what I've heard).  The whole lower level would be taken up by mat space which take a large seating chunk.  Not sure what the entire top level of bleachers holds by itself.  Though is past years they did not take advantage of all the side seating space that could have been used.

Next biggest one in the Semi-State would be Columbus North or Bedford.  Both of those have well under 1000 less total seats than Seymour.  For anything of this size the best location would be a convention center or college facility.  The problem is none of them are in an ideal location for all involved.

Amen Coach!

One other addition to this is through the year teams in Indy, or Hendricks County, or what is refered to as "Da Region" for whatever reason, get to face what is arguably the toughest competition year in and year out just by driving 30 minutes or so.  The Eastern half of the state gets to face off with programs that are geographically available to them in both Indiana, Kentucky, AND Ohio.  

In the Southwest, we have ALWAYS had great teams that were restricted in meeting the perinial "powerhouses" due to budget and administration restraints.   Now these teams at least get to bring their best to the biggest show on the circuit to that point in the year and we get to see these amazing kids once a year when the others seem them every week.  

In the Southwest, we have ALWAYS had great teams that were restricted in meeting the perinial "powerhouses" due to budget and administration restraints.   Now these teams at least get to bring their best to the biggest show on the circuit to that point in the year and we get to see these amazing kids once a year when the others seem them every week.  

The southwests unigue geography and roads (some other areas of the state have same issue) make it more difficult to face the best competition prior to the state tournament series.  I agree that is one reason the semi-state becomes such a big deal.  You see all of these suprise winner because those matchup you only could speculate the winner of prior to the semi-state.

The southwests unigue geography and roads (some other areas of the state have same issue) make it more difficult to face the best competition prior to the state tournament series.  I agree that is one reason the semi-state becomes such a big deal.  You see all of these suprise winner because those matchup you only could speculate the winner of prior to the semi-state.

I agree...We seek it out and over the last few years it has opened up to us, but honestly that is due to the rest of the state coming here due to the Semi-State.

I remember going to Seymour for Semi-State.  They have a very impressive Gym, but facts are facts, it is not the best environment for host the entire southern half of the state, which the South Semi-State does.   It's a fantastic Gym, and has a really great set up, but just isn't ready for what we bring these days!    ;D

You need to take a look at a map and also note Y2's comment. Not a huge fan of Seymour's seating, but it is so much better location wise than Evansville is if you look at all the teams and where they come from that wrestle at the Seymour SS. This site needs to be reviewed again and maybe find something a halfway between Indy and Evansville.

And you need to read an earlier comment I made about the map deal.  

While Robert's Stadium isnt' centrally located, it's much more fan and team friendly than any other place the southern semistate's ever been held.  Find a place halfway between Indy and E'ville that has the capability of hosting the event willingly and I'll understand the argument.  Until then, the length-of-trip argument holds no water at all after all the years of hold the SS 3 hours or more from here.

There are a lot of teams who have to drive 2-3 hours to Indy for the State Finals, so that argument doesn't really make sense. 

How fair is it for teams to drive 2-3 hours to the Evansville SS when some teams drive 15 minutes?

Obviously there is no site that is going to satisfy everyone

Ok...here is what we do...

From this point on, the Southern Semi-State will be held in an open field in Birdseye Indiana - Yes folks it's on the map - Look it up.

There is an open field for parking and mat placement, and if memory serves there is ONE gas station with ONE restroom.

Everyone happy now?

From this point on, the Southern Semi-State will be held in an open field in Birdseye Indiana - Yes folks it's on the map - Look it up.

There is an open field for parking and mat placement, and if memory serves there is ONE gas station with ONE restroom.

Everyone happy now?

I vote a little south of that right off 64 at Possem Juntion in Bristow, IN personally.  Always a great stop on the way to E-ville and much more convienent for travel than Birdseye.    ;D

Everyone happy now?

Great idea!!  We'll spray paint lines for 4 mats on the field.  Instead of introducing the wrestlers like we normally do, we'll put them on horses and have them gallop from opposite sides into the middle and shake hands.  We'll get 4 big stationary bikes and hire some Amish to peddle them to generate electricity for the scoreboards.  Instead of concessions, we'll just back some pick-ups up with kegs (of soda, of course) and sell it that way.  And I want the blanket and hand warmer license!!

Great idea!!  We'll spray paint lines for 4 mats on the field.  Instead of introducing the wrestlers like we normally do, we'll put them on horses and have them gallop from opposite sides into the middle and shake hands.  We'll get 4 big stationary bikes and hire some Amish to peddle them to generate electricity for the scoreboards.  Instead of concessions, we'll just back some pick-ups up with kegs (of soda, of course) and sell it that way.  And I want the blanket and hand warmer license!!

Or better yet...Let's move it to Ft Wayne.  That should help out...

Quit dreaming. Semi state will never be held in Assembly Hall. NEVER. Not only is it basketball season but that is all the gym is for. IU wrestling team doesn't even have thier meets there. Those are held at University gym.

Now I believe that Roberts really is the best location because of the seating options concessions and the open floor plan that allows you to see all the action

We all know that Roberts Stadium is a great place to wrestle our semi-state, no one is arguing that.  One of the questions was where would we have it if Roberts were to be torn down.  What about the hockey arena in evansville?  I don't know how many it seats, I've just seen it in passing.  Some places like that can be converted into an open space, I believe Conseco had a floor plan for a hockey team. 

Quit dreaming. Semi state will never be held in Assembly Hall. NEVER. Not only is it basketball season but that is all the gym is for. IU wrestling team doesn't even have thier meets there. Those are held at University gym.

Now I believe that Roberts really is the best location because of the seating options concessions and the open floor plan that allows you to see all the action

Well considering the average crowd for an average IU dual meet is not extremely large I can see why they would just go ahead and hold the contests in University gym.  Seems like an all around better fit for that type of meet.  However, at least in the past, I know they have held larger wrestling constest in Assembly Hall.

So sayeth the shepherd.

So sayeth the flock.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.