Penn State Head Coach will be....

Y2CJ41

Because Pennsylvania has unbelievable talent in their high/middle schools... Iowa does too, but Cael will always have to compete with Brands for kids.  At Penn State, that wouldn't be nearly as big a problem.  With his credentials, he'll have nearly the whole eastern seaboard begging to come wrestle for him.

I think it would be a great move, and I think he should do it.  It would make the Big Eleven even TOUGHER... if that's even fathomable.

Excellent scoop Y2. I've been following this all day and it appears as if Cael and his wife are in PA as I'm writing this.

If it does happen and Iowa state opens up, who do you like?

I think it would be exciting to have Terry Brands, mocco, and Cejudo there. Will that happen, probably not. But, it would be interesting.

Since they have been paying Paterno about $10K a year for the past 800 years, PSU has plenty of money.

Actually they had tried to keep it secret for several years, because of a court decision it was finaly unveiled to be at $500,000 a year.  Which still is well under the coaching pay of the of the other big name college football guys.

Cael would be a great fit for PSU, however for more personal reasons, I would love to see Ken Chertow get the job. That way we would not have to listen to his insesent ramblings on the bigten network wrestling events near as often.

If wrestling is like football/basketball, recruits are allowed to break their letter of intent if their is a coaching change.  If this is the case in wrestling, I would assume Taylor will follow Cael to PSU.  A lot shorter drive home if he does.

Report: ISU's Sanderson leading candidate for Penn State wrestling job

From Register News Services April 16, 2009

Iowa State wrestling coach Cael Sanderson is the leading candidate for the same job at Penn State, WHO-TV reported late Thursday night.

According to WHO-TV, Sanderson has interviewed twice with Penn State. Penn State competes in the Big Ten Conference against two-time defending national champion Iowa, but Penn State is thought to be a sleeping giant because of the high school wrestling talent in Pennsylvania.

Sanderson is an Iowa State legend and a wrestling icon. He is the only collegiate wrestler in history to win four national championships while never losing a match (159-0). He also won the United States? only freestyle gold medal at the 2004 Summer Olympics.

Upon being hired as Iowa State?s head wrestling coach in 2006, Sanderson said, ?We want to be the dominant program in the country. I know the expectations are high and that?s what I love about Iowa State. We?re going to win national championships. There are no other goals here.?

He came close once, finishing second in 2007.

Sanderson could not be reached for comment.

And......

Friday, Apr. 17, 2009

Comments (0)

WRESTLING

Penn State pursuing Sanderson

Guy Cipriano

Penn State is actively pursuing one of wrestling?s biggest names for its head coaching spot.

Iowa State coach Cael Sanderson, a four-time NCAA champion and Olympic gold medalist, met with Penn State officials here Thursday, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

It?s unclear whether Penn State has offered Sanderson the position vacated by Troy Sunderland, who resigned earlier this month after 11 years as head coach.

Penn State spokesman Pat Donghia said Thursday the university has no comment on the search process.

Sanderson, an Iowa State alumnus, recently completed his third season coaching the Cyclones. Iowa State finished third behind Iowa and Ohio State during last month?s NCAA Championships.

The Cyclones also won the Big 12 Tournament title and finished 15-3 in dual meets.

Sanderson went 159-0 during his college career at Iowa State. He captured his fourth NCAA title in 2002 and claimed a gold medal two years later at the Athens Olympics. Sanderson replaced Bobby Douglas as the Cylcones? head coach in 2006.

Sanderson has deep ties to Iowa State. His older brother, Cody, is the school?s associate head coach, while his younger brother, Cyler, wrestles for the Cyclones.

Luring Sanderson from Iowa State could be costly. Sanderson received a base salary of $132,500 during the 2008 fiscal year, according to Iowa public records.

Sanderson, 29, is one of multiple high-profile coaches who have been in contact with Penn State. According to multiple sources, the search committee has interviewed more than a half-dozen coaches.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.