Top Five Tournaments/Meets in Indiana

Y2CJ41

What are your top five toughest tournaments/meets in Indiana?

Just a couple off the top of my head:

1. Al Smith Invitational

2. Chris Traicoff Memorial Wrestling Invitational

3. Connersville Invitational

4. Mooresville Invitational

5. North Montgomery Super Duals

What do you think?

I would have to look to see who is at Moorsville, but that looks like a prety tough list of tournaments. I am assuming that you did not include conference tournaments, or County. I would have to believe that the county tourneys up north, and the Marion county tournament would both be up there, as well as the big MIC, and a few other conference meets that are meat grinders.

Al Smith has to be the toughest individual tournament, and the Traicoff has to be the toughest team tournament. Might have to add the Bellmont Super Duals that Mishawaka and Perry Meridian come to.  Quite a few top 20 teams there.  I would think it compares favorably to the North Montgomery Super Duals. 

when i was a freshman at north judson we wrerstled at the CMA Invitational.. it was a 2 day tournament.. very tough.. toughest regular season tournament i ever wrestled in my life in tougher than the twin lakes super 16 or the caston invite or even the midwest conference.. and the MWC has produced some very good wrestlers.. ( Jon Sandberg, Kris Kasten,David Minnix, Ryan Belle,) just 2 name a few

Bellmont Super Dual

Al Smith Classic

Traicoff Classic

Mater Dei Holiday Classic

Harrison Ten-Way

The Ten Way because A) Southern Indiana bias and B) its a test of endurance and mental focus for every wrestler. 9 duals in less than 36 hours.

When you are talking team tournaments, I don't think individuals matter. It's how many ranked teams that are in the mix. I think that's where the Traicoff & North Montgomery excel. For instance, North Montgomery had Portage, Perry Meridian, Carmel, New Pal, Warren Central & Delphi. They were all ranked at some point this season, that's 6 out of the 8 teams there. And the Traicoff, I won't even begin to count up the ranked teams there out of the 32 present. As for individual tournaments, I think the Al Smith is head & shoulders above all the others. Just an opinion!

This should be broken down into best Team wise and best Individual. Connersville is up there in both in my oppinion.

Breakdown: SQ includes placers

103: 3 State Placers 4 SQ

112: 1 placer 2 SQ

119: 3 placers 5 SQ

125: 1 placer 3 SQ

130: 0

135: 0

140: 1SQ

145: 1 placer

152: 1 placer

160: 2 placers

171: 1 placer 2 SQ

189: 1 placer

215: 1 placer

285: 1 placer 3 SQ

Total: 16 placers 26 SQ

2 state champs and 6 runner ups

Bellmont Super Dual

Al Smith Classic

Traicoff Classic

Mater Dei Holiday Classic

Harrison Ten-Way

The Ten Way because A) Southern Indiana bias and B) its a test of endurance and mental focus for every wrestler. 9 duals in less than 36 hours.

I agree. Look at the teams:

Evansville Reitz- Continues to be tough.

Union County (KY)- @nd best team in Kentucky.

Trinity (KY)- Best team in Kentucky, included nationally ranked wrestlers .

The Lake County tournament is a quality tournament but it would be much tougher if Crown Point and Merrillville attended. With them, it would be up on the list. Without them, it's still an above average tournament.

I love this thread!  We take a ton of pride in trying to make our tournament the toughest in the state.

Number of State Finalists per weight class:

103 - 3

112 - 3

119 - 0

125 - 4

130 - 3 - state champ

135 - 2 - state champ

140 - 3 - state champ and runner-up

145 - 6

152 - 3 - runner-up

160 - 3

171 - 3 - runner-up

189 - 1

215 - 3 - state champ and runner-up and third

HWT - 4

State Qualifiers:  41!

4 State Champions

4 State Runners-ups

I probably made some mistakes, but gives you an idea of the competition at the

Mishawaka Al Smith Classic.

Snyder

I love this thread!  We take a ton of pride in trying to make our tournament the toughest in the state.

Number of State Finalists per weight class:

103 - 3

112 - 3

119 - 0

125 - 4

130 - 3 - state champ

135 - 2 - state champ

140 - 3 - state champ and runner-up

145 - 6

152 - 3 - runner-up

160 - 3

171 - 3 - runner-up

189 - 1

215 - 2 - state champ and runner-up

HWT - 4

State Qualifiers:  40!

4 State Champions

4 State Runners-ups

I probably made some mistakes, but gives you an idea of the competition at the

Mishawaka Al Smith Classic.

Snyder

I've thought making the Al Smith a true invitational where top individuals from all over the state are invited regardless of the school would be awesome.  Kind of an Ironman or Super 32 type of tournament.

I'm not sure how this would go inviting only certain kids from all across the state, i'm not sure that coaches would want their guys going to an event that was not for all their team.

It would be an amazing event though. If Y2 can pull it off, I would be very interested in seeing it.

Or how about an IndianaMat Open where the wrestlers petition to get in, along with invitations.

Although there are multiple variables concerning  a feat such as this I'm positive this site has the individuals that could pull it off.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.