How would you rate your local newspaper's wrestling coverage?

AJ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Evansville tv news or paper, cover football like its the only sport in Southern Indiana. Home Team Friday and other football shows, the Courier had games of the week, teams of the week with full page posters of teams. But wrestling only gets a couple of Mater Dei stories. I did e-mail the paper and the local tv news reporters about two weeks ago and asked for more wrestling stories, but I think they need to hear from more than just one person. Speak up southern Indiana.

It seems that many papers focus on the "outstanding individual" articles and never cover the actual wrestling when it occurs.  For example in the region there have been articles about Sean McMurry, Alex Surma, and Frankie Porras but there has been hardly any coverage of individual meets or tournaments.  Even results have been hard to come by this year.  While I appreciate the idea of giving credit where it is due to these individuals I would love to see more coverage of wrestling matches and meets as they occur.

the nwi times has a big wrap around section every friday with all of the stats you could possibly want, for boys and girls basketball!

just a couple times a season you would think that maybe they would print all of the area kids records, or some kind of interesting feature. 

a couple times a year the athlete of the week is a wrestler, at least.

rat1, dune, dtrain,

You guys remember when the Times actually came out with the All-Area Team for the year? I wanna say the last year they did that was somewhere in the mid 90's. I guess they consider their Braggin Rights dual the All-Area team. This really blows considering I see an All-Area team in most other sports. I actually e-mailed the editor a few years ago about this, and never received a staright answer about it. My subscription was cancelled awhile ago. If I get bored I usually can find a copy of the paper laying around the station somewhere. It serves as a reminder as to why I have cacelled my subscription. I do not want to knock Waddle, he does the best he can with the paper. Well at least we have Indianamat.com, which seems to be giving us the covereage we are all wanting from our local papers.

Just visited nwitimes.com

Looks like wrestling fans are visiting this site and making their voices heard. Every week they let readers pick a prep game they want to see covered. Here the results so far:

You pick the game. We cover it.

Voting ends at noon Sundays. Check back Wednesday for full coverage and remember to return to vote for next week's game.

LINK: http://nwi.com/sports/prepsports/

Prep Picks Games of the Week for Dec. 30's games

BOYS BASKETBALL, Gavit at Munster

(22 Votes, 26%)

GIRLS BASKETBALL, Lake Central at Portage

(19 Votes, 22%)

SWIMMING, Griffith at Wheeler

(5 Votes, 6%)

SWIMMING, Chesterton at LaPorte

(11 Votes, 13%)

WRESTLING, Homewood-Flossmoor Invitational (Field includes Munster)

(29 Votes, 34%)

XCARD:  Boy is the "Times" wrong if they consider the Braggin Rights team an all area team, since thye are all seniors and we all know that there are underclassmen that can beat some of those seniors that do give up some of their time to wrestle on that team.

I was on my way to school the other day, when for the first time ever, I heard wrestling scores on the radio!  They included team and individual results.  I nearly got in a wreck from disbelief.  I think it was a Kalamazoo station, but they were announcing northern indiana scores.  Maybe coaches should start emailing results to local radio stations as well.

The Murky one, the one and only mad dog was on the loose at Carroll yesterday.  He has always done a great job covering Dekalb county schools.

Oh the merciless mad dog stalking the mats brings back memories!

I was on my way to school the other day, when for the first time ever, I heard wrestling scores on the radio!  They included team and individual results.  I nearly got in a wreck from disbelief.  I think it was a Kalamazoo station, but they were announcing northern indiana scores.  Maybe coaches should start emailing results to local radio stations as well.

The Murky one, the one and only mad dog was on the loose at Carroll yesterday.  He has always done a great job covering Dekalb county schools.

The Inpls . Star has always been bad but it is getting worse -they covered the top 4 placewinners in the county and city tournaments -few individual results -I've been fighting with them for 25 years and have made no headrow -for awhile they would print the results brackets but now they post top 4 and to hell with everyone else -I'd like to know what happened to hines at 152 from BD . And when did Roncalli become a county school ? They were always a city school -back in the day BD.WC/DC/and Southport ruled Indpls  and people used to fear coming down here , now they come down for Bonus points -Ln/PM Cathedral and Roncalli-soon -every other program has fell way down .

While not my local Paper, I feel the Jeffersonville News-Tribune does a really good job at covering the Red Devils as well as other local and county teams.  Twice this year they have had a Q & A with Jeff Wrestlers, which is a little more than just a box score most papers provide.

As for my local paper, The Madison Courier, it does a fair job reporting what our two county programs report and occasionally shows up to take pics of our kids on their back!

The starpress, the local ECI paper, had ZERO coverage of the ECIC tournament this past weekend.  The tournament was held in Jay County, which gets the starpress newspaper!

Our paper is so bad, it might make you want to read my wrestling blog on thestarpress.com.  :D

The Hendricks County Flyer has been horrible at covering wrestling this year.  It seems to me that they would rather cover court records and food rather than covering the toughest sport around.

These kids deserve a little more than that........

Come on Hendricks Co. Flyer................

I would be curious to see the correllation between small town medium size town and large town coverage. Here in INdy, they will do a story on the Capitol City classic, usually 5-8 paragraphs, County and the city meet, 5-8 combined, and then along the tourney trail the articles get a little more, but not much. I am not sure who we have to pay off in the sports department to realize that playing with balls is not the only way to have a sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.