Rivalries

AJ

What are some of the best rivialries you can remember?  Team or individual?

I know Muncie South and Delta hated each other in the 80's.  Southside was not the only school who had a big rivalry with them either.

Vega v. Schaefer was a good rivalry.

Others?

What are some of the best rivialries you can remember?  Team or individual?

I know Muncie South and Delta hated each other in the 80's.  Southside was not the only school who had a big rivalry with them either.

Vega v. Schaefer was a good rivalry.

Others?

I hear Delta Cathedral used to be pretty heated as well.

Delta/South used to draw thousands.

The entire lower level of the Stardome was packed last night for the South Adams v Adams Central match....Very Nice Crowd, although most of our fans are still pretty new to wrestling, It's exciting to hear the entire Adams Central section Scream TWOOOOOOO!

Back in the day.... Portage vs. Hobart got pretty heated. Lots of emotion went down especially when it took place under the lamps at hobart!

Portage and M'Ville had their share of good bouts. the last couple years of coach P and tharp were big rivalries and closely matched teams. The last meeting with the ville under Coach P was a good one...

Bellmont and Adams Central

1988-1989 season that dual at bellmont all the seats was taken on both floors and people who couldn't get seats was standing. Adam Central was number one in the state and Bellmont was defending state champions. Huge dual. The excitement was awesome , the one of the very few times Adam Central won. Their was alot of big matches.

Back in the day.... Portage vs. Hobart got pretty heated. Lots of emotion went down especially when it took place under the lamps at hobart!

Portage and M'Ville had their share of good bouts. the last couple years of coach P and tharp were big rivalries and closely matched teams. The last meeting with the ville under Coach P was a good one...

Portage and Hobart use to be a brawll!!!

Well as already stated Mishawaka/Penn used to be a big rivalry and probably will be again soon. But I remember one match where a huge fight almost errupted in the gym when a Penn 189 or 215 pounder threw a 1st time varsity wrestler into the stands.... However, everything cooled down until after the meet and there was a rather large brawl between students outside of the gym.

A couple individual ones though.

Chris Snyder vs Jerry Target (mish/penn) I think that was a 1995 or 1996 rivalry

Egendorfer vs Hershberger they both went head to head at 103 for 3 years I believe, they were some good matches.

Terry Saylor vs Harper was pretty big in 99 as Saylor did a little trash talking after the dual meet to Harper. Needless to say that rivalry was one sided as Harper won them all

Hyde vs Aessa was a great HW match up between Riley and Penn Respectively, this went on in the early to mid 90's. Once again one sided. Hyde finally beat Aessa at Semi States their Senior year, but I think Aessa won every other match between the two.

Thats all I can remember From the 90's involving the NIC

But my fave rivalry of all time was between 2 teammates off the wrestling mat. Pretty much i think Brad Harper and Nick Kodba tried to see who would do the craziest things, which one day turned into "lets see who can jump into a frozen lake and stay in their the longest" hahahaha.... I remember watching the video of it in the wrestling room, but i forget which one of the two actually went through on it.

Crown Point and Merrillville, which takes place on Dec. 17th.

I just hope that DuneFan doesn't run over any deer on the way to the meet  :o

Evansville Reitz and Mater Dei has to be as good as any... sells out the gym every time with 3000+ west siders.

How is Bellmont AC considered a rivalry? When was the last time AC won? I saw the post about 88-89 but thats 20 years ago and you can't be on a twenty year losing streak and it still be a rivalry.

I recommend you attend the next meeting between Bellmont and AC.  It is STILL and probably always will be one of the best rivalries in Indiana.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.