Yorktown student, parents seek injunction against IHSAA

AJ

This kid among MANY others have been approached by members of the staff and been asked to come to yorktown..  This is high school!! Coaches should recuit from their own school and own school only to give these young men the opportunity to let wrestling help prepare them for the game of life. So to answer your question if staff members would stay in their on hallways there would not be an issue.

And if you could prove this then Yorktown would be in big trouble with the IHSAA. Since they are not in trouble with the IHSAA  then you should not post things like this.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid among MANY others have been approached by members of the staff and been asked to come to yorktown..  This is high school!! Coaches should recuit from their own school and own school only to give these young men the opportunity to let wrestling help prepare them for the game of life. So to answer your question if staff members would stay in their on hallways there would not be an issue.

That claim, especially in this case, is completely and demonstrably erroneous.  You are either ignorant, blinded by hate, or woefully misinformed.  Please stop propagating this drivel.  And also, please share with the us the MANY others that have been recruited.  I can name about 10 programs off the top of my head that have several kids in their lineup that do not belong in that program for one reason or another.  Those kids and programs never get mentioned...

That claim, especially in this case, is completely and demonstrably erroneous.  You are either ignorant, blinded by hate, or woefully misinformed.  Please stop propagating this drivel.  And also, please share with the us the MANY others that have been recruited.  I can name about 10 programs off the top of my head that have several kids in their lineup that do not belong in that program for one reason or another.  Those kids and programs never get mentioned...

You say 10 programs YOU can think of . Care to mention any names?

I have no personal problem with the Yorktown staff or the school itself, but it is true that many of their wrestlers (past and present) were enrolled in school districts all through elementry and middle school and then starting attending Yorktown in high school. Everyone in Delaware county knows this, but it isn't against the rules. My little bro lived in Yorktown , but attented another school because he started there in high school. I dont care who goes where, but what I am saying is fact...

Well here we go again one year later? same kind of situation, even though the Franklin kid transfer situation was even more ridiculous.  I would love to see how many kids on Yorktown?s wrestling team wrestled and were enrolled in Yorktown Elementary growing up.  I know for sure the wrestler?s ranked #1 and #2 in their weight classes DID NOT attend Yorktown until middle school, and both were heavily recruited by the best recruiter in the state, Troy Dulaney.

You want facts:

Here is one fact that can?t be disputed.  When Yorktown attempts to recruit a kid, Troy Dulaney will approach the parent and tell them that he has a realtor on stand by that will help them secure a residence in Yorktown.  He also tells them he  has all kinds of connections to try and find the parent a job in the area.

Now back to the Alexandria kid who allegedly moved to Yorktown for quote ACADEMIC REASONS.  Now how does a kid who is making bad grades get ACCEPTED to such an ACADEMIC school like Yorktown?  Does anyone really buy any of this?  There was an article that I read last year after the Franklin kid fiasco, in which the SUPERINTENENT OF THE YORKTOWN SCHOOL CORPORATION stated how they have raised the bar for transfer students at Yorktown High School.  I?m a little confused.  So here we have a kid getting C and D?s and he is accepted at Yorktown?.hmmm.  If you haven?t made the connection?Yes the Superintendent is Trent McCormick?s wife. 

The truly sad thing is this young man should be wrestling for Alexandria right now.  He and his family bought into the BS that Dulaney was selling.  It is truly unfortunate!  This same scenario would have happened to Meska from Jay County last year, if he didn?t get back to Jay County quick enough after enrolling in Yorktown.  Jay County and the head coach refused to sign off on Meska and he would have been ineligible too.  I know for a fact that the Jay County Coach had to travel to the IHSAA and give a statement reference that attempted recruitment.

Now let?s talk about irony.  The ironic thing about last year?s recruitment of the Franklin kid is that the objective was to find someone to beat Faurote at the team regional.  Guess what?  It didn?t happen and the team w/ the right kind of coaching and ethics prevailed.  So in the end...good triumphs over bad every time.

The fact is this COACHING STAFF will do anything to secure a state championship.

It's sad for the kids that are raised in Yorktown and went there since elementary.

NO LOYALTY!  And if I sound like a mad parent!  I am!  If the school board knew what this staff was doing.......I have heard that the powers to be at the State are sick of it!

With all of the attention we are getting on this website, you would think we were tipping the scales of success and hauling in dozens of state titles here at Yorktown.  I believe Yorktown High School has captured two volleyball state titles in recent years and one golf state title in the 1970's.  The Yorktown wrestling program can only aspire to be compared to great wrestling traditions such as EMD, Crown Point, Delta and Bellmont to name a few.  Actually, I guess I would give this whole topic a little more thought if the people giving their opinions would sign their real name and not hide behind a username.  I am disappointed that this site allows people to take anonymous pot shots at people.  I may choose to disagree with someone on a point of matter, but that doesn't give me the right to publicly slander them from afar. 

Although I am flattered by some of these posts that give me so much power, I do not have the authority, or time, to tell anyone where to shop for groceries, go to church or where to educate their children.  Yes, I will promote Yorktown Schools whenever I get the chance, because in my neighbor's yard down the street, there is a yard sign promoting and advertising one of the three local church based schools.  I, personally, fill out recommendations for students every year who wish to leave YHS and go to school at the Indiana Academy at Ball State if that is what they choose to do.  Education has become a business and it is the right of parents to educate their children where they feel they will have the best all-around educational experience... including extra-curricular activities.  There was an earlier post describing a young man who lived in the Yorktown district but chose to go to school, and wrestle, at another school.  I am completely fine with that.  If that family felt he would be most successful as a student-athlete at another school, then I applaud them for being active in their child's life.  Several years ago, we had two Yorktown wrestlers transfer from Yorktown to Alexandria.  We had no problem signing off on their paperwork as that is what they felt was best for them.  Who am I to dictate to a family what is best for their particular situation? 

No one screams "school choice" louder than our own Indiana Department of Education...  transfer tuition, charter schools, virtual schools, acadamies and the list goes on for alternative educational opportunities in this day and age.  The recent list last week showed an additional 100+ Indiana schools who have been added to the state's "takeover list" if they don't show improvement next year. In addition to our current educational overhaul in Indiana, our society is becoming more and more mobile (transient) as technology improves and the economy forces people/families to make tough, creative career decisions.  Please don't blame Yorktown, or anyone for that matter, for the state of our society and the decisions that people are having to make both for family and educational reasons.

Lastly, from my experiences over the years, usually the people who are crying foul just don't want to work very hard at producing a good product.  They will spend their time complaining and finding every excuse in the world as to why people don't want their product (or lack thereof) and try to blame others.  Instead of taking the time to sling mud at people, why don't you better utilize your time in promoting your school and its extra-curricular activities.  I, for one, would rather see a young person participating rather than getting in trouble on the street. If you would like to discuss any of these topics/issues with me in person, I would enjoy the opportunity to talk about both educational and extra-curricular activities for kids. 

Trent McCormick

tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us

cell phone: 765-282-9136 

Well here we go again one year later? same kind of situation, even though the Franklin kid transfer situation was even more ridiculous.   I would love to see how many kids on Yorktown?s wrestling team wrestled and were enrolled in Yorktown Elementary growing up.  I know for sure the wrestler?s ranked #1 and #2 in their weight classes DID NOT attend Yorktown until middle school, and both were heavily recruited by the best recruiter in the state, Troy Dulaney.

You want facts:

Here is one fact that can?t be disputed.  When Yorktown attempts to recruit a kid, Troy Dulaney will approach the parent and tell them that he has a realtor on stand by that will help them secure a residence in Yorktown.  He also tells them he  has all kinds of connections to try and find the parent a job in the area.

Now back to the Alexandria kid who allegedly moved to Yorktown for quote ACADEMIC REASONS.  Now how does a kid who is making bad grades get ACCEPTED to such an ACADEMIC school like Yorktown?  Does anyone really buy any of this?  There was an article that I read last year after the Franklin kid fiasco, in which the SUPERINTENENT OF THE YORKTOWN SCHOOL CORPORATION stated how they have raised the bar for transfer students at Yorktown High School.  I?m a little confused.  So here we have a kid getting C and D?s and he is accepted at Yorktown?.hmmm.  If you haven?t made the connection?Yes the Superintendent is Trent McCormick?s wife.  

The truly sad thing is this young man should be wrestling for Alexandria right now.  He and his family bought into the BS that Dulaney was selling.  It is truly unfortunate!  This same scenario would have happened to Meska from Jay County last year, if he didn?t get back to Jay County quick enough after enrolling in Yorktown.  Jay County and the head coach refused to sign off on Meska and he would have been ineligible too.   I know for a fact that the Jay County Coach had to travel to the IHSAA and give a statement reference that attempted recruitment.

Now let?s talk about irony.  The ironic thing about last year?s recruitment of the Franklin kid is that the objective was to find someone to beat Faurote at the team regional.  Guess what?  It didn?t happen and the team w/ the right kind of coaching and ethics prevailed.  So in the end...good triumphs over bad every time.

The fact is this COACHING STAFF will do anything to secure a state championship.

It's sad for the kids that are raised in Yorktown and went there since elementary.

NO LOYALTY!  And if I sound like a mad parent!  I am!  If the school board knew what this staff was doing.......I have heard that the powers to be at the State are sick of it!

I would like to point out that facts typically have citations. Someone can say it's a fact I'm buying BMWs for prospective students, but that doesn't make it a fact. In fact, I would buy a BMW for me (if I could afford it) before I would buy it for anyone else, wife included.

Trent,

This thread started with the posting of a newspaper article from the Muncie Star Press.  I believe this is the third such high profile transfer or attempted transfer of outstanding wrestlers into your program in the last year.  If this happens at any school, eyebrows are going ot be raised, and anonymous comments are going to be posted on message boards.  

While I agree with your comments on the changing nature of education in Indiana, I think you are being quite naive to think that these three young men arrived at Yorktown randomly because of educational opportunities, transiency, or the state of the economy.  The wrestling program you have built appears to outsiders to be the primary causation for these transfers.  Now if families decide to pack up and move into the Yorktown district to be a part of the program, that is their decision and the public outcry is usually brief.

The most serious allegations in a couple of the previous posts are not directed at you personally but at a member of the coaching staff.  What is being alleged is clear violation of IHSAA bylaw 20-1 on Undue Influence.  While I personally feel that these allegations should be expressed to the IHSAA, I find it curious that no where in your post do you

1. Deny that the staff member has a realtor on standby, or

2. Has connections that would help gain employment for parents

A member of your staff (and the program itself) is being accused serious breaches of the IHSAA by laws on undue influence by what appears to be a parent of a wrestler or former wrestler in your program and there is no denial that these types of situations happened.  A public denial of these allegations would be the first thing I would do if I felt someone was making libelous claims about this staff member.

Instead it appears you are trying to turn the spotlight elsewhere to avoid the scrutiny.  Blame the messageboard, blame the educational system, blame the economy, or blame those who are crying foul and call them lazy.  In my experiences over the years, people who point the fingers else where when being accused of wrong doing without denying the wrong doing usually have something to hide.

Realize that this post is purely my opinion on the issues in this thread and I am not speaking as a administrator of the website.  Realize also that I have very limited knowledge of the specifics of each transfer case outside of newspaper articles and posts on this website.  I am merely expressing a viewpoint of how a wrestling supporter with"no dog in the fight" might interpret this situation.

Chad Hollenbaugh

Coach Hollenbaugh,

First, I want to thank you for putting your name to your words in a professional manner.  Although we may agree to disagree, at least you are willing to put your name to it.

1.  "If this happens at ANY SCHOOL, eyebrows are going ot be raised, and anonymous comments are going to be posted on message boards."  -- from Coach Hollenbaugh's post

- Are you saying coach that Yorktown HS is the only school in Indiana where kids have migrated/transferred to for

educational and extra-curricular opportunities?

-  The Yorktown School Corporation must be even more special than what I thought if we are the only school having kids

come to us from other schools.  So again, you are saying there have been no student-athletes (including wrestlers)

transfer from one school to another across our state in recent years that would "raise any eyebrows?"

-  I can think of many other schools across our state with numerous football, volleyball, wrestling, etc state championships

who I might "raise an eyebrow" for before it would be us.  As I mentioned earlier, Yorktown HS has won 2 vball

state titles, a golf state championship in the 70's and zero wrestling team championships.  I assure you there are

no coaches at YHS on recruiting trips.

2. The realtors can be found in the yellow pages in most communities.  Nobody here has them on speed dial. 

3.  Again, I sure wish I, or my coaching staff, had the ability to make a phone call and get someone a job.  We have a number of

good non-wrestling friends in the area who are out of work who we would get jobs for first before I, or my staff, would

get a job for a stranger.

I am a teacher, and my assistant coach is a public safety officer; neither of us have the clout to find people jobs.

Have you not been to Delaware County lately?  We have had several major factories close down along with numerous

smaller companies.  In general, people are leaving Delaware County -- not moving to Delaware County.

4.  Lastly, you are correct that any high school athletic transfer must go through the IHSAA.  That should be left between the IHSAA

and that family... not aired out on a public message board via rumors, misnomers and gossip.

On a positive note, I wish you guys the best of luck this season, and again, thank you for your professionalism.

Coach McCormick

- Are you saying coach that Yorktown HS is the only school in Indiana where kids have migrated/transferred to for

educational and extra-curricular opportunities?

No, I am saying Yorktown is being talked about because the transfer to Yorktown is in the news.  Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the third transfer or attempted transfer of a high quality wrestler into your program in the last 12 months.  To deny that the wrestling program you have built has nothing to do with these transfers seems incredibly naive. 

I said any school with multiple transfers is going to raise eyebrows and people are going to ask questions.  Lawrence North and Culver Academy's basketball programs are two such examples where multiple transfers caused people to start asking questions.  I am merely saying that Yorktown is being discussed because of the newspaper article. 

When the Culver Citizen or Plymouth Pilot reports on transfer rulings of the IHSAA and subsequent lawsuits against the IHSAA regarding elite athletes and those articles are posted on a public forum, I would expect  a certain amount of scrutiny to be brought upon my school and program.

-  The Yorktown School Corporation must be even more special than what I thought if we are the only school having kids

come to us from other schools.  So again, you are saying there have been no student-athletes (including wrestlers)

transfer from one school to another across our state in recent years that would "raise any eyebrows?"

I reread my sentence and I am not sure where I am leaving the impression that Yorktown is being singled out regarding transfer cases.  I am saying that if ANY SCHOOL has multiple elite athletes transfer into a program, that program is going to come under a certain amount of scrutiny.  In years past it has been Mishawaka, Crown Point, and Mater Dei who have been scrutinized in wrestling.  I mentioned Lawrence North and Culver Academies basketball programs.  I am sure some of the Delaware County volleyball programs have been scrutinized.  All I am saying is that in this case Yorktown is being scrutinized because a transfer ruling and lawsuit involving Yorktown is in the news.

-  I can think of many other schools across our state with numerous football, volleyball, wrestling, etc state championships

who I might "raise an eyebrow" for before it would be us.  As I mentioned earlier, Yorktown HS has won 2 vball

state titles, a golf state championship in the 70's and zero wrestling team championships.  I assure you there are

no coaches at YHS on recruiting trips.

If by "raising an eyebrow" means that you might think these state championships were won in an unethical manner then I sure hope you presented what evidence you had to the IHSAA to investigate.  Otherwise your allegations are little better than the anonymous fingers that are being pointed at Yorktown presently.

The elephant in the room here is the persistent allegations that a member of your staff has over a number of years violated IHSAA bylaw 20-1 regarding undo influence of transfers. 

A person looking at this issue objectively would find that this behavior has allegedly been occurring for a number of years.  The old adage "where there's smoke there's fire might creep into the objective mind.

While I certainly agree that anyone making such allegations should put their name behind and provide more concrete evidence rather than anonymous post them, an objective person might see the anonymous nature of a message board as a tool for people to speak more truthfully because they might have circumstances where it is in their best interest or in the best interest of their family to stay anonymous.

If these allegations of unethical behavior are categorically false then everyone involved with the Yorktown program can look themselves in the mirror and sleep well at night.  And shame on those that continue to persistently continue to accuse this assistant coach of unethical behavior. Why they would do so is beyond me.

4.  Lastly, you are correct that any high school athletic transfer must go through the IHSAA.  That should be left between the IHSAA

and that family... not aired out on a public message board via rumors, misnomers and gossip.

Again, this came to the message board when it became a NEWS item in the local newspaper.  When a family sues the IHSAA to restore athletic eligibility for a student that is transferring for academic reasons, people have questions.

Again, my rambling on this issue are from an outsider looking in.  Trent, you have been nothing short of professional in our limited email and personal contacts.  My school attended a super dual you hosted last year and were treated great.  I do not personally know any member of your staff.  In 18 years of coaching I think I have coached against two Yorktown wrestlers at the semi state level.  What I am trying to say is that I am not carrying the pitchfork or advocating a witchhunt against Yorktown.  I am merely trying to express what this situation looks like to one relatively objective fan of wrestling

The Yorktown Community Schools school board policy on transfers is here:  http://www.yorktown.k12.in.us/download.axd?file=0bb2f3f3-3aff-4c8e-9235-ed42fa3a7d94&dnldType=Resource

The pertinent sections are (in my opinion):

(From Page 2):

The decision on acceptance of a non-resident student will be based upon:

? The student?s attendance record at the previous school;

? The student?s academic record at the previous school. For a transfer to third grade or above, and if the previous school recorded grades, the student must have at least a C+ (2.75 on a 4.0 scale) during the prior two years of school enrollment; those transfer students enrolled prior to or during the 2010-2011 school year or any prior school year, must maintain at least a C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale);

? The student?s discipline record at the previous school;

? Class sizes in the grade level in which the student wishes to enroll at Yorktown Community Schools; and

? Whether the transfer will place an undue burden on the Yorktown Community Schools. The transfer shall not place an undue burden on the Yorktown Community Schools.

(From Page 4):

8.  Reciprocal agreement between the Superintendents of both a sending and / or receiving corporation is required for any final approval.

- and -

C. The student may not have missed any more than five (5) days of school the previous semester from his/her sending school. The receiving school may consider exceptions for more than five absences due to medical conditions that can be documented by a physician but is not obligated to do so.

D. The student may not have been tardy any more then five (5) times to school the previous semester from his/her sending school.

Now, personally I disagree with the entire line about the determination of whether or not a student is requesting a transfer solely for athletic purposes.  I view this as a purely subjective matter.  However, it is a criteria that has been added to the policy, and as such should be enforced I suppose.

Again, these citations are from Yorktown's transfer policy:

(From Page 2):

Requests by parents, guardians, or custodians of Indiana students who do not reside in the Yorktown Community Schools district but who wish to enroll their child in the school system will be considered for enrollment if:

?  Non-resident enrollment is for educational reasons;

(From Page 4):

G.  Under no circumstances will a transfer student be accepted for athletic reasons.

Without any concrete evidence, all of the talk about coaches recruiting is hearsay.  If it is true, then it is a shame that kids within the system who "play by the rules" may have to take a backseat to transfer athletes so that the team may be more successful.

I believe that the criteria layed out is faulty -- the subjective clauses don't belong in there.  If the student in question (or any student whether or not they are an athlete) meet the objective criteria, then they should be considered for transfer and allowed to participate in sports.  There should be a system in place (verifiable) where any school system can show that if they do not accept all transfers, then there is a systematic method for choosing which students are allowed to transfer and it uses academic criteria as the primary determinant.

Because the subjective criteria is included, it leaves the door open to interschool bickering.

It is a real shame that whatever the reason, and which school is "right" and which is "wrong", there is a young man who is not able to participate in wrestling this year.  4 years is a short time -- most of us remember how quickly it can pass by.  I hope that he does receive a first class education at Yorktown and is able to parlay that into future success.

Liam recruited Jesus for his bowling team... really put me and the dude to the test, but we prevailed we didn't sit around all day crying about that creep that could roll, we just went bowling and rolled our way into the finals!!!  Its about basic freedoms man!  My buddies didn't die face down in the muck for kids just to transfer all over town and decide where to wrestle, where to go to school... its like you you build it will come dude... am I wrong!?! 

I have a dectective agency if you want to hire me... Sobchak security just dont call on Shabbas

Walter Sobchak

Liam recruited Jesus for his bowling team... really put me and the dude to the test, but we prevailed we didn't sit around all day crying about that creep that could roll, we just went bowling and rolled our way into the finals!!!  Its about basic freedoms man!  My buddies didn't die face down in the muck for kids just to transfer all over town and decide where to wrestle, where to go to school... its like you you build it will come dude... am I wrong!?! 

I have a dectective agency if you want to hire me... Sobchak security just dont call on Shabbas

Walter Sobchak

I detect a slight fixation on the Big Lebowski...

Here is another article on Mr. Eli Walker. 

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/9190738-452/gorches-time-for-the-ihsaa-to-go-away.html

It states he had 2 F's and a D in his classes.

Don't know if any of the info in the article is true or if there is a point to it at all, I stopped paying attention when he inferred that the IHSAA is funded directly by tax payers.

... Indiana High School Athletic Association spent way too much money on legal fees ? that?s our hard-earned tax money being spent...

? The student?s academic record at the previous school. For a transfer to third grade or above, and if the previous school recorded grades, the student must have at least a C+ (2.75 on a 4.0 scale) during the prior two years of school enrollment; those transfer students enrolled prior to or during the 2010-2011 school year or any prior school year, must maintain at least a C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale);

It states he had 2 F's and a D in his classes.

2 F's and a D sounds like a 2.6 at best (assuming it comes with a lot of A's).  Am I misinterpreting this, or did Yorktown not follow their own transfer rules?  Do they mean a 2.75 cumulative GPA over the past two years?

2 F's and a D sounds like a 2.6 at best (assuming it comes with a lot of A's).  Am I misinterpreting this, or did Yorktown not follow their own transfer rules?  Do they mean a 2.75 cumulative GPA over the past two years?

Excellent question

2 F's and a D sounds like a 2.6 at best (assuming it comes with a lot of A's).  Am I misinterpreting this, or did Yorktown not follow their own transfer rules?  Do they mean a 2.75 cumulative GPA over the past two years?

I believe it means a 2.75 over the past two years, at least that is how it reads to me.

Alexandria has a 7 period day with two semesters a year, so over the course of two years a student could get 28 credits.  If a student received two F's and a D for a class and had B's in EVERY other class over the past two years he would still have a 2.71 GPA for the past two years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.