The match you wish you could get back?

Coach Hull

In response to Coach Hardman's post on the greaatest match ever....how about the one you wish you could have back???  We all know no one ever completely lives down a loss, but I am secure with myself now :) to post this.  Vince Sessa, State Finals my senior year.  I was returning State Champ at 112 and he was returning Runner-Up at 119.  Needless to say, we switched places.  I hear about that garbage to this day - still.  What I learned?  Wrestle to win NOT wrestle not to lose.  I don't think he was a better wrestler, but I do know that he wanted it more than I did that day! Great job Sessa!  :'(

Which leads me to my next match: Chris Kelly (PA) at the H.S. nationals.  I actually dropped down a weight class because I heard Sessa did and I wanted to get that loss back.  Nevertheless, he didn't but I still stayed down and had a pretty good tourney.  I practicly ran through everyone but Kelly, a 2x S.C. from PA, got over on me as I was smoking him.  Got knocked out from a questionable slam and tried to continue.  He ended up working himself back into the match and beat me by 1, and that was the difference between me being a H.S. National Champ and placing 3rd.  Sux.  What I learned?  Explosion from bottom doesn't mean too much when you don't have hand control.  Pretty expensive lesson.

Indianamat.com, let's relive our nightmares....let those demons out! :)

Both ticket round matches I did exactly like Coach Hull said wrestled not to lose I was winning both matches and took my foot of the accelerator and payer for it...both kids went on to place top 5 nothin worse than Watchin 3 guys you beat handily wrestle at state while you're in the stands...

I would go with the ticket match to state. I wrestled my rear off.. I don't regret that..i only wish i could have been heavy enough to have cut weight and wear the other guys down.. 106 wrestling 112 & 114 wrestling 119. Weight matters. 

The only other match i want back is sophomore year. Unranked against the number 1 Quoiyon Brooks. Set him up and caught him in a near perfect head lock. I say near perfect because i didn't listen to Coach Tone and lock it up...he got away and i lost.

Lesson.... the coach knows more than you think. Especially if he's been around since before you were born.

I would go with the ticket match to state. I wrestled my rear off.. I don't regret that..i only wish i could have been heavy enough to have cut weight and wear the other guys down.. 106 wrestling 112 & 114 wrestling 119. Weight matters. 

The only other match i want back is sophomore year. Unranked against the number 1 Quoiyon Brooks. Set him up and caught him in a near perfect head lock. I say near perfect because i didn't listen to Coach Tone and lock it up...he got away and i lost.

Lesson.... the coach knows more than you think. Especially if he's been around since before you were born.

Coach Fred Tone?

There's two, my freshman year at regionals, lost to Tom Schwarts from wawasee 2-1, and my sophomore year at state, lost to Taylor grubb 1-0 Friday night

Good news is that you have 2 yrs left! &  Im sure u will get that rematch with Grubb sometime throughout the season! Use those losses as your MOTIVATION! Leave it all on the mat & when its all said & done you will have no regrets!

Good news is that you have 2 yrs left! &  Im sure u will get that rematch with Grubb sometime throughout the season! Use those losses as your MOTIVATION! Leave it all on the mat & when its all said & done you will have no regrets!

Thanks for your words of motivation devildog

Coach Fred Tone?

Yep... That's the one... I made it to State that year. Sophomore. Knocked off Gary Schmucker first round at semi state and then upset an undefeated Jason Reynolds from Leo for the ticket match. Then I got over powered by Brad Lee (Delta) and Darrell Carr (Warsaw). Once again.. The weight caught up with me. I weighed in at 97 or 98 pounds at semi state. At conference that year I actually was eating Dairy Queen cheeseburgers and a large chocolate shake before weigh in.

Semi-Finals at Semi-State my senior year. Bart Tabor (Taylor) and I were both undefeated. I was winning 12-2 in the first period and stepped over a wizzer. He put me on my back with 12sec left in the period and pinned me with 2sec left in the first period.  I was hoping to get my revenge the next week at state but he got beat in the semis. I got the state title but no rematch  :(

The night before sectionals my freshman year I was wrestling our 140 pounder (I was 103) and wound up tearing a disc in my spine. I had to injury default my first match of sectional because the pain killers hadn't kicked in yet. I wound up getting a quick pin for 3rd, but that was back when only 2 went on, the way it should be. I wasn't too bummed because I had 3 more years, but wound up with nerve damage in my leg the next fall and never got another shot. 3 guys I had beat during the season placed at state that year, I wish I had gotten the shot.

Honestly, guys, I don't know about you but I actually feel a little bit better about it all.  Like getting an "F" in school - you don't feel so bad when the next guy got an "F" too :)  As with many regrets, listening to some of these stories makes me appreciate what I was fortunate enough to achieve.  Seriously, though, I'm proud of everyone who posted on this because some people never can get over it, and putting it out here for all to see makes it a little easier to carry.  I guarantee there are people that have read this post and are still too upset or afraid to face the fact that even the best of us lose at some time or another.  It's o.k. that you still want to blast double leg the guy if you happened to see him at Conseco, but just try and let it go...... :P

Here is one for you Nick....

94-95 I lost to V. Cannon in overtime at the Thanksgiving weekend duals at LC.  I was penalized for stalling in OT.  Vernon went on to finish 2nd at state.  I still mess with the ref that hit me for stalling!!!  I lost in the ticket round at semi state that year but the V. Cannon match is the one i want back the most.

My first round of sectionals wrestled a kid and froze when he took a shot and got pinned.  Stupiest thing i had ever done in a match.  ended up wrestling the kid for fifth and pinned him in the second period while i was winning 13-0. I just wish i would have wrestled that why the first match of the day and wouldn't have underestimated him.

I was a good high school wrestler, but not great.  Still, I was good enough to go to state my senior year.  I wrestled an awful match in the regional semi-finals, lost, and ended up 3rd.  My opponent got stuck in the finals by a guy I had previously beaten (he then advanced to state with the nice regional champ draw) and got stuck in the ticket round at semi-state by a guy I had beaten (he also obviously went to state).  Meanwhile, I got drawn in the semi-state bracket with the eventual state runner-up because of my ill-timed horrible regional match.  I stay up nights wondering why I didn't attack with outside singles when he kept blocking my fireman's and high crotch setups. 

My third and fourth place match at regionals last year. Sadly, if I had somehow lost ( I won 9-2) I would have had a much greater shot at going to state. Instead I had Derek Bevans in the ticket round, and I was able to watch a wrestler I beat earlier in the year make it to state out of the pool I would've been in if I had gotten fourth at regionals. Now, I miss wrestling quite a bit.

I was in the regional finals my sophomore year against David Lockwood from East Central. I had lost to him the previous week at the sectional, and then turned around and beat him in the team regional. I was up 9-6 with less than 30 seconds left in the match. He locked up a head lock to thow, and I was thinking great....I was really good at defending the head lock....most of the time....and when I went to re-roll him he landed right on top of me....needless to say after we scrambled and I got out I was down 11-10 with 2 seconds left in the match and we were on our feet....wish I could have that one back!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.