Semi State Updates

55 minutes ago, hook and half said:

Regarding the DQ/MFF in the Henderson/Haines match...

It seems like there must be more to it.  Had a team race been a stake, a voluntary MFF could swing a championship.

It does not seem like a ref can overturn his own call, just because a coach approves of it.

I thought the injured contestant was awarded the match by default?

On the subject of Henderson/Haines. I believe you can "choose" to continue then MFF. I did not see the call, I am a MD fan/alum and feel BBerg did a very classy move. Hats off to Coach for making a tough decision. MD has been on the sour end of one of those calls in the ticket round before. Prayers for a full recovery for Haines, maybe on another level of wrestling we'll get to see these two wrestle again and both be healthy.

18 minutes ago, ALittle said:

I thought the injured contestant was awarded the match by default?

Thats what I thought aswell. Since the last point scored was an illegal slam and the wrestler couldn’t continue. The match is awarded to the injured wrestler regardless if the coach wants to accept the win or not. Because the medical forfeit was the result of the p

match I’m trying to find it in the rule book now. 

10 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

On the subject of Henderson/Haines. I believe you can "choose" to continue then MFF. I did not see the call, I am a MD fan/alum and feel BBerg did a very classy move. Hats off to Coach for making a tough decision. MD has been on the sour end of one of those calls in the ticket round before. Prayers for a full recovery for Haines, maybe on another level of wrestling we'll get to see these two wrestle again and both be healthy.

I believe this year they changed it to where there was no more consultation of tournament directors or officials if the medical staff deemed unable to continue.

6 minutes ago, ALittle said:

I believe this year they changed it to where there was no more consultation of tournament directors or officials if the medical staff deemed unable to continue.

I see, well maybe some suggestion helped the situation. Either way glad to hear Preston will have a full recovery.

1 minute ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Man wouldn’t have guessed that one. Just saying I thought they were out ot bounds. Obviously he should have continued to wrestle.

That particular match they were definitely out of bounds. Mosier had both feet out and Waldon had one and a half out. 

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

That particular match they were definitely out of bounds. Mosier had both feet out and Waldon had one and a half out. 

33 minutes ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Man wouldn’t have guessed that one. Just saying I thought they were out ot bounds. Obviously he should of continued to wrestle.

Takedown, or fleeing. Either way, the match is over.

4 hours ago, WRFan said:

“Henderson’s season lives on SOLELY because of the sportsmanship of Brownsburg”? BS! Henderson was dominating Haines in that match, and a slam should’ve never been called in that situation to begin with.  C’mon! That’s a ridiculous statement & an absolute insult to Henderson.

Uhhh it is an absolutely true statement. His season did live on "solely" because of good sportsmanship. Had Bburg not had good sportsmanship his season would be over regardless of a questionable call or him winning the match

2 minutes ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Pretty hard tbh. —all of those things happen every year ain’t nothing new. 

Yes of course wrestling is difficult!

I’m just saying that a lot of times it’s better to just make it seem like you’re wrestling than supermanning out of bounds or running backwards. 

2 minutes ago, #watchingithappen said:

Me too, but by the end of the day they had to be tired of him questioning every call! If he wants to officiate so badly, do it instead of coaching!

Well unfortunately, he wouldn’t be able to officiate his kids matches. Did you ever think that if officials would get some calls correct there wouldn’t be any questioning. His job as a coach is to fight for his wrestlers, and to fight to get calls for his guys. I saw so many egregious calls today. It was embarrassing. 

3 hours ago, hook and half said:

Regarding the DQ/MFF in the Henderson/Haines match...

It seems like there must be more to it.  Had a team race been a stake, a voluntary MFF could swing a championship.

It does not seem like a ref can overturn his own call, just because a coach approves of it.

No overturning of the call is needed. The NFHS Wresting Casebook and Manual states : When the match is defaulted by either the coach or the wrestler, this terminates the match and no additional wrestling can take place. 

46 minutes ago, HWTDAD said:

I watched it too. Should have been 2

I agree. There could have been more swipes but wrestling moves quick and the Ref was just out of position to start any count and by the time he gets around and starts the count seems like an eternity. Having the camera to watch gave the 2 for the reversal and then counted 2 swipes at least I saw him swipe twice. But held 2 on the ground came up gave the 2 again as a reversal? So confirming his earlier call to the table? Man and then OT was another story all together.

12 minutes ago, chambers said:

No overturning of the call is needed. The NFHS Wresting Casebook and Manual states : When the match is defaulted by either the coach or the wrestler, this terminates the match and no additional wrestling can take place. 

Thank you, Chambers!

I guess that settles it.  Tip of the hat to B'Burg.  Precious few coaches take the high road in that situation.