EMD to 3A

Is it time to consider having them wrestle in 3A going forward? They are the smallest school size in most divisions and will struggle against the Indianapolis all stars team ( we know who that school is) and the Region all star team with an addition of Chicago and Illinois based teams (we know who that school is). MD is a prideful program, but that is too many odds stacked up against them..

13 minutes ago, navy80 said:

No, Mater Dei got 4th today. They pulled some Mater Dei magic from the old days and squeaked out a win. They battled Center Grove in a surprising close dual. They could go down to 2A if they really wanted to and win every year but that's not in their DNA.

Dang shots fired at Delta run the dual 80’s vs 90’s dynasty 

36 minutes ago, Jayruss said:

Is it time to consider having them wrestle in 3A going forward? They are the smallest school size in most divisions and will struggle against the Indianapolis all stars team ( we know who that school is) and the Region all star team with an addition of Chicago and Illinois based teams (we know who that school is). MD is a prideful program, but that is too many odds stacked up against them..

Md got 4th today, proved they’re better than others realize. This is the best they’ve placed in years and with a team that is considered not great.

7 minutes ago, BigCatScream said:

Md got 4th today, proved they’re better than others realize. This is the best they’ve placed in years and with a team that is considered not great.

They have a lot of Mater Dei Names on there for sure 

5 hours ago, navy80 said:

Do you think Detla could beat Mater Dei?

I think it would be a good dual 

106- #1Boyd delta vs #20 Alstadt MD 

113- #3 Bollinger delta vs #14 Schafer MD 

120-#19 Jackson delta vs #8 Henderson MD(soon to be moving up) 

126- #5 Neal Moiser Delta vs #1 Schafer MD 

132- Mosier Delta vs Grant Voelker MD 

138- Brayden Swain (Delta) vs #19 Baumann MD 

144- Zeke Witter (Delta) vs Nick Herrmann MD 

150-   #15 Rhonemus Delta vs #8 Vanover

157- Drayton Swanson (Delta) vs Kaden Farmer MD 

165- #8 Stebbins delta (soon to be moving up) vs #19 Turner MD 

175- #8 Russall Delta vs Drew Schapker MD 

190- Andrew Rufenbarger (Delta) vs Caden Thacker MD 

215- Wine Delta vs Weinzapfel MD 

285- Moss Delta vs Kunkler MD 

11 hours ago, Jayruss said:

11 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Odd year to have this argument. They just placed 4th amongst the largest schools. Why go down in class and compete with the smaller teams with what would logically have less depth?  

Heck, why 3A?  I think by enrollment they would be a 1 or 2A school. That doesn’t sound like fun for anyone. 

This may be the top-recycled topic on this board:  Mater Dei is on the slide/cannot compete/no longer relevant/not what they used to be.

Go back to the archives of the 2012/2013 board.  MD had two seniors and forfeited two weight classes.  That team was dominated by freshmen and sophomores.  There were several lengthy threads replete with thoughtful and non-partisan observances that the demise of MD wrestling had arrived.  BTW-  That team had two dual meet losses on the season (both to Bloomington South) and finished fifth at the IHSCWA duals.

Two years later, MD won said event.

Since then, Mater Dei has fielded a couple of competitive teams and won one or two big matches at Gainbridge.

This year's edition of the Wildcats reminds me a lot of the 2012/13 team.  Lots of inexperience!  Two of the starters are first year wrestlers.  Do you reckon any of the other seven 4A teams  at the IHSCWA have a single first year starter?   A month ago, this team was hammered by Avon.  MD pulled out the win over the talented Orioles with a spirited team effort.  I love what Center Grove is doing with their program.  They are tough, top to bottom.  Even still, MD put up a good fight and managed to take a couple of chunks of meat out of CG.

Tiny Mater Dei has an enrollment of 483 students.  It is a perennial challenge to field a competitive team.  

It is amazing how far this team has come in the course of this season.  While I don't see a team State Championship or any future D1 National Champs in this line-up, I consider this product as one of Greg Schaefer and Company's greatest coaching jobs.

10 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

Closer dual than I thought but MD still pulls out the W. 

Delta favorites at 106, 113, 144, 165, 175, and possibly 215, 285. MD wins by bonus points and upsets.

I just don't see why MD would ever make a move down. Coach Schaefer definitely had his team ready to perform yesterday. Kids today might not know of the 70's, 80's, 90's or even 2000's MD history as well, but you will always have a tough battle from a MD wrestler even if their foe has a superior talent or skill. 

3 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

Ohhhhhhh but Hook and a Half.......

This MUST mean they are recruiting! How else would such a tiny school compete with ALLLLLLLLL these juggernauts? HAHAHAHAH! I love this sport! 

God save EMD!

As a westsider the recruiting thing just makes me laugh when I speak to friends from up North. One thing that has helped keep Southern IN wrestling and yes also MD wrestling better is pretty simple: MCW Club. That's a simple fact! 

3 hours ago, hook and half said:

This may be the top-recycled topic on this board:  Mater Dei is on the slide/cannot compete/no longer relevant/not what they used to be.

Go back to the archives of the 2012/2013 board.  MD had two seniors and forfeited two weight classes.  That team was dominated by freshmen and sophomores.  There were several lengthy threads replete with thoughtful and non-partisan observances that the demise of MD wrestling had arrived.  BTW-  That team had two dual meet losses on the season (both to Bloomington South) and finished fifth at the IHSCWA duals.

Two years later, MD won said event.

Since then, Mater Dei has fielded a couple of competitive teams and won one or two big matches at Gainbridge.

This year's edition of the Wildcats reminds me a lot of the 2012/13 team.  Lots of inexperience!  Two of the starters are first year wrestlers.  Do you reckon any of the other seven 4A teams  at the IHSCWA have a single first year starter?   A month ago, this team was hammered by Avon.  MD pulled out the win over the talented Orioles with a spirited team effort.  I love what Center Grove is doing with their program.  They are tough, top to bottom.  Even still, MD put up a good fight and managed to take a couple of chunks of meat out of CG.

Tiny Mater Dei has an enrollment of 483 students.  It is a perennial challenge to field a competitive team.  

It is amazing how far this team has come in the course of this season.  While I don't see a team State Championship or any future D1 National Champs in this line-up, I consider this product as one of Greg Schaefer and Company's greatest coaching jobs.

I believe the tradition lives on I just hope they’d consider toggling between 3 and 4A some years because there’s good competition at 3A and winning there isn’t a given. Brownsburg and Crown Point is going to be a juggernaut for awhile because they have way more athletes to pull from in the Indianapolis and Chicago area. 

21 minutes ago, Jayruss said:

I believe the tradition lives on I just hope they’d consider toggling between 3 and 4A some years because there’s good competition at 3A and winning there isn’t a given. Brownsburg and Crown Point is going to be a juggernaut for awhile because they have way more athletes to pull from in the Indianapolis and Chicago area. 

Coaches come and go.

17 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

Here’s how I think it would go

106: delta wins 6:0

113:EMD wins 6:3

120:EMD wins could be a decision tho 6:7

126: EMD wins 6:11

132: toss up but I think EMD wins 6:14

138: EMD wins 6:20

144: Zeke wins 9:20 could be a major tho

150: Tyler wins 9:23

157: toss up but I’ll say Swanson wins 12:23

165: Delta wins 12:23

175: Delta wins 16:23

190: toss up but EMD wins 16:26

215: delta wins 19:26

HWT: delta wins 25:26

i think a lot of this mode I ranked matches would be very good tho, EMD has a good dual team tho

17 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

i think a lot of this mode I ranked matches would be very good tho, EMD has a good dual team tho

9 hours ago, BigCatScream said:

Check your score.  You have it 12:23 after the 157 match and then have Delta winning at 165 but the score still shows 12:23.  If you add in that decision you would actually have Delta winning the dual 28:26

12 hours ago, hogleg said:

Check your score.  You have it 12:23 after the 157 match and then have Delta winning at 165 but the score still shows 12:23.  If you add in that decision you would actually have Delta winning the dual 28:26

You’re right but I need to know more about delta to make a final decision, some of those matches I gave the benefit of the doubt to delta

12 hours ago, hogleg said:

You’re right but I need to know more about delta to make a final decision, some of those matches I gave the benefit of the doubt to delta