SUPER 32

cradleU

145 Jared Verkleeren (and WNO winner)

Also a former FloNatuonals Champ and Cadet World Champ.

Could be a big statement win for Braydon Lee, not to mention I'd like to see Lee vs. Lee now just incase we don't get it this HS season.

Edited by MattM

Arujau just took cadet world silver also. He's #5 P4P in the nation...an absolute freak athletically. Verkleeren is also a P4P guy...it would be a significant upset for B-Lee to win and the story of the tournament for Bailey to beat Arujau.

Arujau just took cadet world silver also. He's #5 P4P in the nation...an absolute freak athletically. Verkleeren is also a P4P guy...it would be a significant upset for B-Lee to win and the story of the tournament for Bailey to beat Arujau.

I find it odd that Arujau is #5 P4P and Nick Lee is #6, yet Lee is #1 and Arujau #2 in the 138 rankings.  I believe both lists were recently updated too.  

Joe Lee beat Verkleeren by fall in April at UWW Nationals so a win (by either Lee) is definitely within reach.  I'd venture to say that Verkleeren would probably be the favorite against both, however.

I find it odd that Arujau is #5 P4P and Nick Lee is #6, yet Lee is #1 and Arujau #2 in the 138 rankings. I believe both lists were recently updated too. .

If I remember the explanation correctly Willie from Flo said the weight class ranking are measured by a wrestlers actual results, while the pound for pound are more an evaluation of potential. So while Nick has the better portfolio of results to give him the higher weight class ranking, Willie at this point "feels" Arujua has a slightly better upside this far.

Edited by MattM

I find it odd that Arujau is #5 P4P and Nick Lee is #6, yet Lee is #1 and Arujau #2 in the 138 rankings. I believe both lists were recently updated too.

Joe Lee beat Verkleeren by fall in April at UWW Nationals so a win (by either Lee) is definitely within reach. I'd venture to say that Verkleeren would probably be the favorite against both, however.

I didn't remember he got that win...nice. Verkleeren ROLLED to the world title last year so that's a huge collar. It's clear fro the rankings that it's still viewed as having been a reasonably significant upset in the light of total bodies of work. Let's hope Brayton can do the same.

As far as the rankings go, it's true he sticks strictly to wins and losses and heavily weighs folkstyle results for wt class rankings. With P4P he looks more at how dominating you are even if youve faced less big matches and considers all styles to better assess true potential.

Verkleeren was very good.  Lee did everything he could to make it a battle, but lost every scramble and just couldn't get a take down.  JV looked like a classic counter puncher in boxing and always had an answer.  We may still get Lee - Lee for 3rd -4th or 5th - 6th.  

Andrew Davison up now on Mat 4 - Davison with a nice 15-7 win to advance to the consolation semis.  Guaranteed at least a 6th place finish.

Edited by SWINfan

Joe Lee seems tired to me.  He's in SV now but has gotten taken down without creating scrambles like he was before.  Looked the same in the semifinals for some reason. 

He lost in SV-3.  Just seemed like he gave up points without as much fight.  Fewer scrambles.  Not sure if something was wrong physically or if it was mental.  Just seemed off.

No Lee vs Lee today :(

Edited by SWINfan

Bailey will have a tough 3rd place match against #4 ranked Brian Courtney. Courtney gained some national recognition last school year after beating 3 previous PA state champs to capture a state title. He also has a list of wins over several nationally ranked kids.

Laughlin get to the 3rd place match against #10 Hidlay of PA. If he's anything like his brother Hayden he'll be a handful.

Braydon Lee and Andrew Davison also make it to 3rd place matches. It looks like both of their opponents are currently unranked by Flo.

Edited by MattM

Laughlin defeated #9 in nation Mekhi Lewis and will wrestle Hidlay again for 3rd

Great tournament for Laughlin.  He gets this win and finishes ahead of a couple nationally ranked guys.  Coming off of last year's state finals, where he lost only to Joe Lee, he will definitely be in line for national ranking consideration.

Overall it was a very good tournament for the Indiana kids. Many of them wrestled very well against the top kids in the country. One thing I was impressed with is that there were very few pins from the first whistle. 

We tied our most placers from last year with 5 and even had some good success in the middle school and elementary divisions.

Wish we had a few more Indiana boys down there. The ones that did show held their own. I was most impressed with Bailey, and B. Lee both looked really good. Pretty cool to watch C.Red x 2 in Braytons corner all weekend. J.Moran looked good beating a #9 ranked kid in the nation at 106, Fargo Champ (Jeremiah Reno). Laughlin beating a #9 ranked kid in the nation (Mekhi Lewis).

Davidson brothers always look good, ran into a couple of STUDS. Same with Mulkey wrestled tough until round of 16 when he ran into a buzz saw.

Always good to see the Brownsburg,Portage,Chesterton coaches out there showcasing some of their talent.

Great (offseason) competition for some of our Indiana best. Once again those are some of the names you can count on seeing on the rankings and at Bankers Life In 2017.

Hello Rankings guy???????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.