Best School To Never Have A Champ

Wrestling119

Harrison (WL) has probably had the most team success without ever having a finalist. Columbus East has been churning out place winners recently and still has no champ, there are several kids currently in their room that could change this over the next few years. 

the rooks bothers might

Doesn't really fit the "never had a champ", but New Castle has a pretty rich wrestling history - but only two champs. One in 1963 and one in 1995.

Whatever happened to their program?  I remember in the mid 90s looking at New Castle on the schedule with dread.

Whatever happened to their program?  I remember in the mid 90s looking at New Castle on the schedule with dread.

They're still good.  Our genius ratings had them in the top 50 out of about 310 schools in Indiana and they've got 12 starters coming back, so they'll be even better than that next year.  They're a couple spots above the 3A/2A enrollment cut line for team state qualification.  If they'd be just below it, they would have qualified for this year's event and they would be headed to next year's as well.  

Interesting pattern here I would have never thought of.     Three of these schools (Zionsville, HSE and Nobllesville are out of one of the toughest conferences, the HCC.   Also Harrison was just recently in that conference  but moved out.    I find amazing that these 4 schools have good programs but no state champs.  I suppose they are all fast growing schools and I guess weren't as relevant in the past as they are now.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them finally break through in the next five years. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Interesting pattern here I would have never thought of.     Three of these schools (Zionsville, HSE and Nobllesville are out of one of the toughest conferences, the HCC.   Also Harrison was just recently in that conference  but moved out.    I find amazing that these 4 schools have good programs but no state champs.  I suppose they are all fast growing schools and I guess weren't as relevant in the past as they are now.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them finally break through in the next five years. 

I believe you can add Westfield to that list from the HCC, as well.  Their state runner-up a few years ago (Schaeffer) was their first ever finalist.  4 of the 7 schools in a tough conference haven't had a state champ.  Brownsburg, Avon, and Fishers are the only 3 that have.  (and Fishers has only been around 10 years)

I think It shows you how tough it is to win an individual state championship in Indiana.    My high school, which is in another state has had 12.    Of course you can now reference the class wrestling debate.   I think its a weird anomaly for the lack of state champ success in the HCC.

Shenedoahs had some tough guys..dont think they gotta champ..AJ BLACK might have something to say about that in the coming years..his ticket round match vs Fair was worth price of Admission to Semi State...

Columbia City has had 1 kid in the finals twice and have had a couple of 3rds.  But never have had a State Champ.  We have been to the original team state 3 times, and the new version once.

you weren't too shabby yourself...any relation to Dylan Culp that goes to Warren now?

I believe you can add Westfield to that list from the HCC, as well. Their state runner-up a few years ago (Schaeffer) was their first ever finalist. 4 of the 7 schools in a tough conference haven't had a state champ. Brownsburg, Avon, and Fishers are the only 3 that have. (and Fishers has only been around 10 years)

Well Brayton Lee was the first state champ since 77 they only had one other Mark Minier in 76 and 77 I may have spelled that wrong

Shenedoahs had some tough guys..dont think they gotta champ..AJ BLACK might have something to say about that in the coming years..his ticket round match vs Fair was worth price of Admission to Semi State...

you weren't too shabby yourself...any relation to Dylan Culp that goes to Warren now?

Not that I know of, would have to do some research to double check

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.